engineer training facility

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amfleet said:
The MU's slipped my mind. I rode on them once from Bridgeport to Grand Central and yes they do not have traps. I did not care for the equipment much and I remember the doors getting stuck a couple of times. Wasn't an order placed for new M-7's?
Yes, Read the Commuter Rail Forums, I like the NJT Push-Pull Equipment, particularly those New Comet V's.

tp49 said:
You are correct on both accounts. Not only do the bilevels not have traps nor the ability to stop at a low platform station, bringing them into service made the LIRR raise the platforms at all stations so I believe 100% of the stations on the LIRR have high platforms. I think this is also why service to Long Island City ended, but I'm not 100% sure on that but ridership at the intermediate stops between LIC and Jamaica is why those were closed.
Actually the LIRR does still provide rush hour service to LIC, so I'm guessing that they have built a high level plat there.

That would however, explain the elimination of most stops on the so called Montuak line between Jamaica and LIC. Many of those stops were indeed low level platforms, although one stop did have high level plats. That stop was Richmond Hill, otherwise I think that all the rest were low levels.

Alan,

I never rode that end of the "Montauk branch" but I saw pictures of them on the net somewhere. From thise pics I'm sure the plats were low level that is if the stations had paltforms at all. From the pics it appeared that both Haberman and Penny Bridge both did not have any platform at all and the stop at one of the two was at a grade crossing. Maybe if I come back over the summer I'll try to hit that line.

Amfleet said:
The MU's slipped my mind. I rode on them once from Bridgeport to Grand Central and yes they do not have traps. I did not care for the equipment much and I remember the doors getting stuck a couple of times. Wasn't an order placed for new M-7's?
Yes MN did place an order for M-7's and should have some on the property within the year.

tp49 said:
Alan,
I never rode that end of the "Montauk branch" but I saw pictures of them on the net somewhere.  From thise pics I'm sure the plats were low level that is if the stations had paltforms at all.  From the pics it appeared that both Haberman and Penny Bridge both did not have any platform at all and the stop at one of the two was at a grade crossing.  Maybe if I come back over the summer I'll try to hit that line.
TP,

Pennys Bridge was indeed right at a grade crossing. That stop is not too far from a former client of mine. There were a few occasions that I had to happily :) stop and wait for the train to make it's stop.

To my knowledge all the rest, except Richmond Hill, were also low level plats if there were platforms at all. I think that a couple of the other stops were also at or near grade crossings.

Richmond Hill though, I'm positive is high level. I once took a special commemerative ride on a train with the old diesel/power cars, before they were retired. We stopped at Richmond Hill, and I had the oportunity to get out and walk around.

You can find some pictures of the line by clicking here. This site is thanks to the Long Island RR History Website.

There is also one picture showing the high level platforms at Richmond Hill.

Alan,

That was exactly the website I was thinking of for the pictures I saw. I was not disputing at all what you said about the Richmond Hill station and from the pic it looks as though it is close to the J/Z elevated line. Any idea if it is close to the 121 Street station, and if the platform is still there or was it torn down.

The only disagreement I have with the statement about superliners running on NEC tracks, is that I do believe there are a couple of miles here and there that they do where they are coming in to NYC or WAS from CHI. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Currently, Superliners only enter through DC on the Capitol Limited under the catenary. I think the height of the Catenary can support the Superliners, it's just the tunnels and underground stations along the route that make it difficult.

tubaallen said:
The only disagreement I have with the statement about superliners running on NEC tracks, is that I do believe there are a couple of miles here and there that they do where they are coming in to NYC or WAS from CHI.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Tubaallen,

Superliners never, ever enter NYC, as they can't fit through the tunnels. If Amtrak ever tried to reach NYC with a Superliner, they would be quickly converting it to a Viewliner. Most likely it would be a very messy conversion too. :eek:

As for the Capital coming into DC, that train does enter the NEC at the Ivy City yard located just north of Washington Union station. However that's less than 1/4 a mile, maybe even less, from the station. So they run on the NEC for maybe 2 minutes at most, if that.

Therefore, while they are on the NEC very briefly, I wouldn't really consider that running on the NEC. The Capital is mainly just crossing over the major interlocking plant, immediately north of the station. The train probably never gets about 20 MPH the whole time.

MSTS has Superliners running the full length of the sim, from DC to Philly. That's something that never happens, as again one would be converting a Superliner into a Viewliner when you hit (literally) the Baltimore tunnels.

I also think that, while by and large Superliners can fit under the catenary, there are places where the cat is too low and would ground out on the car roofs.

Finally Superliners don't run on the NEC, because with the exception of WAS and a few smaller stops on the NEC, all stations have high-level platforms only. A passenger would need a ladder, in order to climb out of a Superliner at a high level platform.

If you see the tunnels in the back of the photo it is definetly evident that you can't run Superliners into Baltimore and those tunnels are similar to the ones in New York with the same up there. So the MSTS tunnels are way to oversized.

Metro880.jpg

Alright, yeah, I guess you're right, Alan. Either way, I wasn't arguing that it was realistic anyway, because I do realize that for the most part they do not run on NEC. Oh well. Nice pic, Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back