engineer training facility

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joe butt

Does anyone know where the engineer training facility is in Willmington

I know it is just north of town...actually right along the Acela tracks. I am not sure what highways one would take to get to it, though...I imagine north on 95 for a bit, but then I don't know. I'll look and see if I can find it.

I would love a chance to try those simulators out. Today I got to try out the NYPD's Firearms Training Simulator where they put you into real situations to see how you would react to them and how well you shoot. After that experience I'll never second guess an officer in a shooting situation again. Very scary stuff for a simulator.

Heh, that's pretty cool.

My understanding is that Amtrak actually uses MS Train Sim now. Have you played with it? It is great fun.

tubaallen said:
Heh, that's pretty cool.
My understanding is that Amtrak actually uses MS Train Sim now. Have you played with it? It is great fun.
It is definitely fun to play with. :)

Yep, I've had MS train sim for the past year (just recently upgraded it), and I got FS 2002 Pro for Christmas last year which is also a lot of fun. One day I'll get ambitious and put my train sim downloads into my game. :)

I tried running the Acela on the NEC on that Microsoft game, and it was hard. I got behind schedule, exceeded speed restrictions, and overshot a station, Arbedeen, I thing. Why the hell would Acela stop there anyway? Running the train right is a lot harder then it looks.

Steve4031 said:
I tried running the Acela on the NEC on that Microsoft game, and it was hard. I got behind schedule, exceeded speed restrictions, and overshot a station, Arbedeen, I thing. Why the hell would Acela stop there anyway? Running the train right is a lot harder then it looks.
Steve,

No one ever said the Microsoft was perfect. There are several mistakes that MS made when it came to the NEC. One of the biggest is that you will often see Superliners passing you. Superliner's never run on the NEC, they can't fit through the tunnels at Baltimore, and they can deal with high-level platforms. Another big error in one of the sims, is that the Acela needs to stop at a station that does not have high-level platforms. One would need a ladder to detrain passengers there, as the Acela's don't have traps.

To answer you question though, Acela only stops there in Microsoft's imagination. The trains don't stop there in real life.

Steve,

I solved that problem by going into the route editor in the MS Train Sim tools section (you have to launch separately from the game) clicking on the route and unchecking the boxes for the stops I did not wish the train to make. Hope this helps some.

I thought Acela was built with traps, they are just never used because they stop at hi level platforms. Anyone ever run into a platform like the real thing did in Washington?

battalion51 said:
I thought Acela was built with traps, they are just never used because they stop at hi level platforms.
Nope, no traps on the Acelas. It's hi-level plats, a ladder, or one very big jump. :eek:

What do you mean? I've been on the High level platforms in DC and Newark (NWK) and NYP, and the low level platforms. As for the Acela I'm pretty sure its built only for High level platforms (Except for the power cars of course) as it bypasses those stations with Low-Level Platforms like Aberdeen, MD for example (which caused a Schedule Change with the Twilight Shoreliner). That is why some New England stations had to have new platforms built before the Acela began revenue.

Both New London and Old Saybrook have been reconfigured with at least 2 car lengths of high-level platform. This consturction mainly took place for Shoreliner East, but the Acela does stop in New London and maybe a future stop in Old Sayborrk.

I thought the Shore Line East cars had traps built into them which they do use, but I wouldn't know completely since I've never had the opportunity to ride it.

tp49 said:
I thought the Shore Line East cars had traps built into them which they do use, but I wouldn't know completely since I've never had the opportunity to ride it.
They do, I'm sure its for accesibility and convenience as well as for Acela Service. I believe Shore Line East uses equipment similar to Metro-North (I've seen Shore Line East Cars in NYG).

I think they also use old VRE single level cars or they loaned cars to VRE or something like that...

tp49 said:
I'm pretty sure that Shoreline East cars do have traps. However, it's always better to have a high level plat. Makes loading and unloading much faster, not to mention safer.

AlanB said:
tp49 said:
I'm pretty sure that Shoreline East cars do have traps. However, it's always better to have a high level plat. Makes loading and unloading much faster, not to mention safer.
Just be careful of the Gap between the train and the platform. I wish the Morris and Essex Lines had more High-Level Platforms.

Amfleet said:
I've never been on a train without traps and as with most if not all commuter equipment I'm sure the do. However, HL platforms are much better.
Well then you need to come down here to NY. Probably 3/4's of all stops on Metro North use high level platforms. The Mu's that you've seen us discussing don't have traps at all. They can only platform on a high-level plat.

Additionally I think that with the new diesel equipment, that the LIRR has eliminated all lowlevel platforms. I don't think that any of their equipment now in daily service has traps, or the ability to stop at a lowlevel platform.

NJT is the big holdout in this area. My guess is that perhaps only 30 - 40 % of their platforms are highlevel.

I agree, I like high leve platforms better. However, before the LIRR placed the new bilevel diesel cars into service necessetating the raising of all platforms on the system it was a treat to take a diesel especially on the Oyster Bay branch and climb on and off the train as it was like stepping back in time.

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
I've never been on a train without traps and as with most if not all commuter equipment I'm sure the do. However, HL platforms are much better.
Well then you need to come down here to NY. Probably 3/4's of all stops on Metro North use high level platforms. The Mu's that you've seen us discussing don't have traps at all. They can only platform on a high-level plat.

Additionally I think that with the new diesel equipment, that the LIRR has eliminated all lowlevel platforms. I don't think that any of their equipment now in daily service has traps, or the ability to stop at a lowlevel platform.

NJT is the big holdout in this area. My guess is that perhaps only 30 - 40 % of their platforms are highlevel.
I hope to see more soon, they're trying to cheat with "Mini High-Levels" they can easily be seen on the NEC Line and Atlantic City Line. I'd like to see more on the M&E!!!

AlanB said:
Alan,

You are correct on both accounts. Not only do the bilevels not have traps nor the ability to stop at a low platform station, bringing them into service made the LIRR raise the platforms at all stations so I believe 100% of the stations on the LIRR have high platforms. I think this is also why service to Long Island City ended, but I'm not 100% sure on that but ridership at the intermediate stops between LIC and Jamaica is why those were closed.

The MU's slipped my mind. I rode on them once from Bridgeport to Grand Central and yes they do not have traps. I did not care for the equipment much and I remember the doors getting stuck a couple of times. Wasn't an order placed for new M-7's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back