Empire Builder - the onboard magazine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles785

Service Attendant
In going through some old Amtrak material from previous travels I came across a copy of a fall/winter 2008 Empire Builder Magazine that I saved from trip on that train. It was published by a Montana-based magazine publisher in conjunction with Amtrak. So, in addition to the reading material I brought with me, this magazine, the in-depth printed route guide, and the local newspapers the sleeping car attendant slid under my roomette door each of two mornings, all amounted to interesting reading. (Oh - that's right, the newspapers and route guides are now gone, along with china in the diner.) And I have no idea if Amtrak is still providing that Empire Builder magazine in 2019 or not. Would anyone on here know?

Inside the magazine there was a welcoming column from Amtrak's John Kukec who was identified as a Manager II -Onboard Services. There were also feature articles highlighting activities along the Empire Builder route.

Does anyone know if any other Amtrak long distance train has had - or has now - a dedicated onboard magazine for passengers?

Certainly in the case of the train that goes through my part of the world in Kansas, the Southwest Chief, I could see all sorts of potential for interesting magazine articles about localities all along the Chicago to Los Angeles route.

The National is the magazine on the Empire Builder in my roomette. I remember the Empire Builder magazine well and actually miss it.

no eb magazine for several years. i have a stack i collected over time and peruse them every once in a while. it is missed but i do think "the national" is a pretty good free periodical. often good fiction and poetry. pretty good photos and i do usually like the amtrak system map from a different artist each month. last month, i think, was a system map sculpted in ice.

i do think "the national" is a pretty good free periodical.

I agree with you. It's on par with the magazines available when I fly. Sometimes, particularly if the articles are about the destination to which I am flying or training, they are rather informative.

Back