Empire Builder Opinions Needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
In October of this year I am contemplating a one way AGR point trip from RVR to either Portland of Seattle. Time does not allow a round trip so will be flying back. I'd be interested in thoughts/opinions on which section to take. I'm familiar with what cars go with what section and where they are located in the consist. I'm mainly interested in thoughts on the scenic nature of each route and ease of access to the airport.

I'd be spending the night to catch a flight the following day so advice on economical lodging would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I'm curious why you don't fly out and train back. I took my first ever red-eye flight last year and have decided that anytime that I can mix trains & planes out west I will fly out and train back. I'm hoping to do a San Jose-Portland (or Seattle)-Chicago-<home by train or plane> trip later this year or next year.

Both routes from Spokane have their plus and minus but if forced to choose I say go with the Seattle Option (#7)since you get to see some of the Cascades and roll down Puget Sound into Seattle.

Also the Diner goes to Seattle, so a real breakfast can be served as opposed to having a less than stellar boxed breakfast in the Sight Seer Lounge on the way to Portland.

Once you reach King Street Station the Light Rail stop is across the tracks by Beautiful Union Station and will zip you out to SEA-TAC ( the Station is in the Parking Garage above the Airport Terminal.)

Plenty of reasonable Hotels and Motels close to the Airport, make your best deal on a Hotel and Flight and then wing home the next morning after breakfast.

I'm curious why you don't fly out and train back. I took my first ever red-eye flight last year and have decided that anytime that I can mix trains & planes out west I will fly out and train back. I'm hoping to do a San Jose-Portland (or Seattle)-Chicago-<home by train or plane> trip later this year or next year.
That option is certainly open for debate, I'm not tied to anything right now. I was just trying to narrow the responses a bit.

I live near Spokane and have traveled both legs several times. I too would choose Seattle over Portland, but the trip through the Columbia River Gorge is very scenic too. I do prefer the Cascades and the Puget Sound however. I know Seattle much better than Portland which is another good reason to choose Seattle.

I've done both options many times, and what I do now is a loop into PDX and then Cascade it up to SEA for the return east. Best of both that way. Going into PDX you get a beautiful morning ride through the Columbia Gorge. Plenty of hotels near the PDX Union Station and MAX to the airport is about 50 min. running every 15 min. As Zimmerman mentioned with the SEA option you get the Cascades and Puget which are both spectacular as well. The LINK leaves every 6 min. from King St. Station and takes about 30 min. to Sea-Tac. As far as the diner on the Seattle leg, no biggie. I like being hungry so I can graze through the fantastic Portland food carts for a late breakfast anyway. Have you done either route as yet? I'm doing my aforementioned loop this Saturday. Another thought....regardless of which option you take, your are still going to be arriving around 10:00am. If it were me I'd opt for a downtown hotel rather than a less expensive airport variety. You have a day to kill, and I'd rather be in town somewhere. When you say "economical lodging", what is your price ceiling?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done both options many times, and what I do now is a loop into PDX and then Cascade it up to SEA for the return east. Best of both that way. Going into PDX you get a beautiful morning ride through the Columbia Gorge. Plenty of hotels near the PDX Union Station and MAX to the airport is about 50 min. running every 15 min. As Zimmerman mentioned with the SEA option you get the Cascades and Puget which are both spectacular as well. The LINK leaves every 6 min. from King St. Station and takes about 30 min. to Sea-Tac. As far as the diner on the Seattle leg, no biggie. I like being hungry so I can graze through the fantastic Portland food carts for a late breakfast anyway. Have you done either route as yet? I'm doing my aforementioned loop this Saturday. Another thought....regardless of which option you take, your are still going to be arriving around 10:00am. If it were me I'd opt for a downtown hotel rather than a less expensive airport variety. You have a day to kill, and I'd rather be in town somewhere. When you say "economical lodging", what is your price ceiling?
I regret to say that I have never been west of Chicago on Amtrak so no I have not done either route. I haven't settled on a price range yet for a hotel but I'm thinking of taking as late a flight out of SEA-TAC as possible to get close to two days to look around. Doing that would almost dictate a downtown hotel.

Downtown Hotels in Seattle can be pricey compared to those located by SEA-TAC. You can buy a day pass (or Oyster Card) to ride the Light Rail @ bargain prices between Downtown and the Airport.

If you really want to stay closer to downtown, the Motels and Hotels close to the Space Needle on the Hill in the Queen Anne District can be quite a bit cheaper, and you can ride the bus or use the Mono-Rail to go from the Space Needle to downtown for $1 each way.

Downtown Hotels in Seattle can be pricey compared to those located by SEA-TAC. You can buy a day pass (or Oyster Card) to ride the Light Rail @ bargain prices between Downtown and the Airport.

If you really want to stay closer to downtown, the Motels and Hotels close to the Space Needle on the Hill in the Queen Anne District can be quite a bit cheaper, and you can ride the bus or use the Mono-Rail to go from the Space Needle to downtown for $1 each way.
Good info, thanks. I'm comfortable with public transportation so this has some merit. My son has a few friends that live in Seattle so I'll get with them so get some local help.

I'd like to put in my two cents worth on train westbound vs. eastbound. If you are doing the trip in October, the days are somewhat shorter, and it will get dark on you before you've seen the best of Glacier Park. I've taken the Empire Builder many, many times, and I will take the scenery eastbound any day!

If you get up as soon as it's daylight, and hang out as much as possible in the Sightseer Lounge car (or get lucky and have a roomette on the left/north side, then go to the lounge when the train crosses the river), you won't regret doing the eastbound trip. However, if the train is at all late westbound, you could completely miss the Montana mountain scenery.

I used to live in Seattle, but I have so many friends there I've never needed a hotel when I go back to visit, so I will let the Seattle people weigh in on the less expensive areas.

I'll second the advice to go eastbound in the fall. I did the Empire Builder this past October from Portland to Minneapolis, and the short daylight hours were definitely a consideration with direction. We departed from Portland, mainly because of how it fit in with a larger itinerary. The Columbia River gorge at sunset was absolutely stunning. It definitely ranks in my Top Five scenic sections on Amtrak that I've been on. On our trip, there were maybe six people in the lounge car, despite a train that was pretty full leaving Portland. In Portland we stayed at http://www.uplacehotel.com/which was very reasonably priced for a decent room right at a light rail stop and within stumbling distance of downtown. Eastbound you will also have a better chance to see the upper Mississippi bluffs.

The one consideration I would have westbound vs. eastbound is making a connection in Chicago. I quite frankly don't trust Amtrak on connections. Westbound, no worries. Eastbound, I would plan a day in Chicago.

Photos of my October Empire Builder trip are about halfway down the page here https://snvboy.exposure.co/brocation-2015

I'll second the advice to go eastbound in the fall. I did the Empire Builder this past October from Portland to Minneapolis, and the short daylight hours were definitely a consideration with direction. We departed from Portland, mainly because of how it fit in with a larger itinerary. The Columbia River gorge at sunset was absolutely stunning. It definitely ranks in my Top Five scenic sections on Amtrak that I've been on. On our trip, there were maybe six people in the lounge car, despite a train that was pretty full leaving Portland. In Portland we stayed at http://www.uplacehotel.com/which was very reasonably priced for a decent room right at a light rail stop and within stumbling distance of downtown. Eastbound you will also have a better chance to see the upper Mississippi bluffs.

The one consideration I would have westbound vs. eastbound is making a connection in Chicago. I quite frankly don't trust Amtrak on connections. Westbound, no worries. Eastbound, I would plan a day in Chicago.

Photos of my October Empire Builder trip are about halfway down the page here https://snvboy.exposure.co/brocation-2015
That hotel recommendation is about as good as you will find price wise in downtown PDX. I'm staying at the Monaco next Monday after my EB trip to PDX and I got a repeat customer/old fart deal for about $150. Plus, you get a free wine tasting each evening! snvboy....those are simply stunning photos of your travels. Professional quality and I really enjoyed them! You originally from VA? I grew up in Warrenton. Thanks for sharing your tips and trips!

Bobby, me thinks you meant to say Orca Card? Also, there is a hotel about six blocks from King Street Station that I have heard good things about and has excellent reviews. I believe it might be where the Amtrak crews stay when they overnight in Seattle, but I am not positive about that. It is the Best Western Plus Pioneer Square Hotel on Yesler. I have been by it, but have never stayed there personally. Juice and Java bar on one side of it, and a Saloon the other side. Very convenient! http://www.pioneersquare.com/

If the SSL is detached at Spokane and you are unlucky enough to have a room on the wrong side where are you able to sit and watch the scenary go by on the Seattle portion? Do you get to chill out in the diner?

Bobby, me thinks you meant to say Orca Card? Also, there is a hotel about six blocks from King Street Station that I have heard good things about and has excellent reviews. I believe it might be where the Amtrak crews stay when they overnight in Seattle, but I am not positive about that. It is the Best Western Plus Pioneer Square Hotel on Yesler. I have been by it, but have never stayed there personally. Juice and Java bar on one side of it, and a Saloon the other side. Very convenient! http://www.pioneersquare.com/
The BW Plus Pioneer is $220+ even for old folks.

Ronbo: yep, ORCA Card! Senior Moment! And the Hotels away from downtown and out by SEA-TAC tend to cost half as much as the Downtown places!

I'd say that Boston, Washington, New York, San Francisco, Austin, Portland and Seattle have the most overpriced downtown hotels in the US on non special event days.

Ronbo: yep, ORCA Card! Senior Moment! And the Hotels away from downtown and out by SEA-TAC tend to cost half as much as the Downtown places!

I'd say that Boston, Washington, New York, San Francisco, Austin, Portland and Seattle have the most overpriced downtown hotels in the US on non special event days.
You're kinda right...NYC, Honolulu, SF, Boston, Miami, Seattle...top 5. Portland isn't even in the top 20.

Bob, or as Eric308 referred to you, Zimmerman! That had me laughing! Also I kind of like the idea of an OYSTER Card!Anyway, the reason I suggested the Pioneer Square Hotel is because of it's location. It seems that Big Iron wants to have the convenience of being closer to downtown Seattle, rather than say near SEA-TAC. It may be close to twice the cost, but consider the advantages: (1) Short walk from King Street Station...(2) Close proximity to Pioneer Square...(3) Half a block to 1st Avenue and busses to Pike Place Market or Belltown or the Space Needle...(4) Very short walk to Coleman dock for a ride on the ferries to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton...(5) And, even sweeter, 2-3 blocks to 3rd & James to the bus tunnel to catch the Link Light Rail to the airport on his last day in town! It would be be worth it to me for an extra 100 bucks or so.

All this being said, he is considering coming this way in October, so he had better bring an umbrella or some good rain gear, you never know what the weather has in store in the Great Northwest!

Bob, or as Eric308 referred to you, Zimmerman! That had me laughing! Also I kind of like the idea of an OYSTER Card!Anyway, the reason I suggested the Pioneer Square Hotel is because of it's location. It seems that Big Iron wants to have the convenience of being closer to downtown Seattle, rather than say near SEA-TAC. It may be close to twice the cost, but consider the advantages: (1) Short walk from King Street Station...(2) Close proximity to Pioneer Square...(3) Half a block to 1st Avenue and busses to Pike Place Market or Belltown or the Space Needle...(4) Very short walk to Coleman dock for a ride on the ferries to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton...(5) And, even sweeter, 2-3 blocks to 3rd & James to the bus tunnel to catch the Link Light Rail to the airport on his last day in town! It would be be worth it to me for an extra 100 bucks or so.

All this being said, he is considering coming this way in October, so he had better bring an umbrella or some good rain gear, you never know what the weather has in store in the Great Northwest!
Hey Robo...it was actually me and not the guy from Hibbing, MN who mentioned that the Pioneer Square Hotel was $220+ or so. I totally agree with you about paying up for the location. I stay at a really nice, upscale place in downtown Portland....I could save a ton going out of town a bit, but I like being able to walk to all the action and to enjoy the vibrancy.

It's not necessarily "economical lodging," but the Mayflower Park Hotel is right downtown and is in the same block as the Westlake light rail station. Although I have never stayed there, I can tell you they pour an honest drink in the bar.

Close to King Street Station there is also the Silver Cloud - Stadium. I have never stayed there either, but I have been to events there and it seems nice. Currently under construction directly across the street from King Street Station is a new Embassy Suites, but I don't know if it will be completed by October.

The $1 bus and monorail fare referenced above is only for senior citizens and the disabled (and also youth and active duty military on the Monorail). Otherwise you pay $2.25 for the Monorail, or $2.50 or $2.75 for the bus (depending on the time of day).

I stayed at the Silver Cloud Hotel a few years ago and found it to be perfectly fine - not luxurious but clean and well-kept. I can't recall what rate I paid, but it seemed reasonable, especially given that it's only a few blocks from King St. Station.

Hey Robo...it was actually me and not the guy from Hibbing, MN who mentioned that the Pioneer Square Hotel was $220+ or so. I totally agree with you about paying up for the location. I stay at a really nice, upscale place in downtown Portland....I could save a ton going out of town a bit, but I like being able to walk to all the action and to enjoy the vibrancy.
Yeah, I know it was you. Hey, I was just looking at other hotel choices in downtown Seattle and found a Hotel Monaco. Have you ever stayed there? I know you have mentioned that you like the one in Portland. Just curious.

Yeah, I know it was you. Hey, I was just looking at other hotel choices in downtown Seattle and found a Hotel Monaco. Have you ever stayed there? I know you have mentioned that you like the one in Portland. Just curious.
No, but I've stayed at the Alexis which is also a Kimpton hotel. It was pricier than the Monaco in Portland, but Seattle has much higher hotel rates. The Kimpton chain is top-notch. Kind of funky boutique style....get this...you can get a free goldfish at check-in for company. Not my idea of great company, but it gets steamy down at the evening wine tasting....

No, but I've stayed at the Alexis which is also a Kimpton hotel. It was pricier than the Monaco in Portland, but Seattle has much higher hotel rates. The Kimpton chain is top-notch. Kind of funky boutique style....get this...you can get a free goldfish at check-in for company. Not my idea of great company, but it gets steamy down at the evening wine tasting....
Do you have to return the goldfish when you check out, or can you indulge in a little sushi before going to the wine tasting?

And what exactly do you mean by steamy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back