Empire Builder 75th Anniversary Wedding Gift

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglev

Conductor
My wife and I were married on Orcas Island in Washington in 2004. I had family fly in from as far from Pennsylvania, Florida, and Maui for our wedding. My wife wanted to pay for her best friend's and husband's travel from Virginia, and since her friend has never flown and has no desire to, we got them tickets on Amtrak. At over $4,400 it was by far the most expensive part of our wedding! They boarded the Crescent in Charlotte, NC, and headed to Washington before connecting to the Capitol Limited. It just so happened that President Reagan's body was lying in state in the Capitol during their layover, and my wife's friend (who was a big Reagan fan) was able to pay her respects. Then they were on to Chicago and the Empire Builder. We did not know it when we booked the trip, but they were on the 75th anniversary running of that train. Amtrak had dignitaries in two special cars on the end of the train, and there were festivities at several of the stations along the way. At one stop, they asked some guy on the platform to take their picture--it turned out he was the governor of North Dakota!

For someone who had never left the region where she was born, it was the trip of a lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back