Embarking from LAUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracktwentynine

OBS Chief
I've used LA Union Station several times before, for Metrolink, Metro, and the Surfliner, but never for a Long Distance train.

My understanding is that LAUS does not have a Metropolitan Lounge. How does boarding for sleeping car passengers work? I'm taking the Southwest Chief. Any tips for catching the Chief at LAUS?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've used LA Union Station several times before, for Metrolink, Metro, and the Surfliner, but never for a Long Distance train.

My understanding is that LAUS does not have a Metropolitan Lounge. How does boarding for sleeping car passengers work? I'm taking the Southwest Chief. Any tips for catching the Chief at LAUS?

Thanks in advance for your help!
The last time I was there they had two portable kiosk type things just at the exit of the main waiting area. One for coach and one for sleepers. You lined up accordingly. However, many have found the best and easiest way is to secure a Red Cap and let them cart you out. Much easier than fighting the masses.

Last December, at the suggestions of others here on AU, wife and I found out arrival track number and (45) minutes prior to scheduled departure went to track and got on our sleeper once the train backed in. Attendant helped us to our roomette and showed us where the juice, coffee and shower/bathrooms where.

NAVYBLUE

I was there last Monday taking the Southeest Chief.

As stated, for a sleeping car passenger it's easier to just get a Red Cap to go out to the train. I did see the stand for coach passengers, but I did not see one for sleeping car passengers. And at least on my train, they took dinner reservations while on the train.

It was easier for us to just walk to the platform as we checked our (2) big suitcases through to CHI and had a small rolling suitcase, computer bag and my wife's "war" bag for carry on. War bag equals make-up, hairspray, soap, shampoo, conditioner, curling iron, fu fu stuff and God knows what else.

NAVYBLUE

There's a loungish place near the information booth by the Alameda entrance, but that's about it. There should be Red Cap service to the train from there, otherwise it's a fairly long trek.

Last January the Red Cap took us out there before the train was there. He "spotted" us at the right place on the platform for our sleeper and when the train backed in, we were in the right place! If you prefer to walk yourself, a Red Cap might tell you what platform or, watch when they start taking SWC passengers out there.

While I've never boarded the Chief from LAUPS, whenever I've boarded the Starlight or Sunset, I just walked down the tunnel and to the track when the time was right. In the tunnel you'll see a temporary sign for your train; just follow the arrows to Sleeper or Coach.

Now if you are in Coach, you do need to check in at the Podium and get your boarding tag/seat assignment.

There's a loungish place near the information booth by the Alameda entrance, but that's about it. There should be Red Cap service to the train from there, otherwise it's a fairly long trek.
That is the Traxx bar, and is only used by Amtrak for the departure of 14. When the Chief departs it is just a bar and has no relationship to Amtrak at all. Red caps won't be by there for the Chief's departure like they are for 14's. I am not sure if Red Caps hang around out front anymore. Where they are usually found is by the disabled seating area to the right of the tunnel entrance.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I've never boarded the Chief from LAUPS, whenever I've boarded the Starlight or Sunset, I just walked down the tunnel and to the track when the time was right. In the tunnel you'll see a temporary sign for your train; just follow the arrows to Sleeper or Coach.

Now if you are in Coach, you do need to check in at the Podium and get your boarding tag/seat assignment.
It is named LAUS (Los Angeles Union Station) now. They changed it a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back