Email requesting feedback re AGR; legitimate?

Discussion in 'Amtrak Guest Rewards' started by pennyk, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:12 AM.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 12, 2019 at 2:12 AM #1

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

Today I received an email from Northstar Research purportedly at the request of Amtrak Guest Rewards with a link to provide feedback regarding AGR. It went to my spam folder, so I was immediately suspicious.

I phoned AGR (Select Executive number) and the agent with whom I spoke had no idea whether this email is legitimate.

I have forwarded the email to an acquaintance who works for Amtrak asking if the email is legitimate. I have not heard back yet, but I forwarded the email after working hours today.

Has anyone received this email? Does anyone know whether this is a legitimate survey?

Below is a portion of the text of the email (deleting the link to the survey):

2. Jul 12, 2019 at 2:29 AM #2

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

I can tell you that the mailing address is legit as I have mailed things to Amtrak's HR Department at 30th Street and they do use "Mailbox" as a mailing address. As for the survey? I'm not sure, so you're doing the right thing by holding off. :)

pennyk likes this.
  3. Jul 12, 2019 at 3:07 AM #3

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

I got the same email, too. I'm thinking it's probably legit, mainly due to its having my full name, rather than my 'screen name' of bratkinson. All the scam emails I've gotten are always addressed to my screen name. The only way they could have gotten my full name is from AGR or some other site that has my full name.

But, given that I don't usually do surveys (yes, I DID sign up for that 'survey site' that gives AGR points, but they usually didn't want my responses as I'm retired. So I gave up after a couple of weeks), I deleted it.

One of my other reasons for not doing the survey is they DO have my name. I'll do anonymous surveys, but not one that knows who I am. I recently moved a sizable chunk of money to a new financial site and the day after it was completed, I got a 'you will remain anonymous, we will not disclose your name' survey from them with my full name and account number at the top of the survey screen. It was immediately deleted. A couple days later, I got a paper survey from them with the same guarantee of anonymity and there, big as day, was my name and account number on the top of the first page. Trash time.

4. Jul 12, 2019 at 12:55 PM #4

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

I just learned that the email is legitimate. I likely will complete the survey.

Bob Dylan and oregon pioneer like this.