Elimination of diners on western Amtrak long distance trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
railiner,

Thanks for re-printing your post of some time ago. "Dinner in the Diner" trips were something that I never heard of. Living where I do, such an opportunity would never have been possible.
Thanks, but that was GBNorman's post that I quoted from....
default_smile.png
Saw some article (from a mainstream outlet) about riding the Crescent a few weeks ago. It mentioned that they were seated at lunch with a woman who was taking the train a few stops, just to get lunch that day. So I guess people are still doing that kind of thing, even if it might be much less common than it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to be popular, not too long ago on lots of trains. I recall riding the Sunset out of New Orleans one day, and a large group of senior ladies boarded and went right to the diner for lunch.

They got off at the first stop, Schriever, and boarded a chartered bus to return on.

At the time, the train left around lunch time...

Even this won’t put me off from riding LD trains.
How about a permanent bus bridge in the middle of your trip like on the newly proposed Southwest Chief? If the current round of cuts wipes out the chef position what if they get rid of the SCA position next? Just curious what it would take for you to reconsider, of if they could can count on your business no matter what they do or how they do it.
I don’t know. Good question. I guess if a long bus bridge was implemented, it would make me look at other routings, assuming there was one.

The biggest key for me is a roomette if my journey is two nights. I can still manage coach for one. But if they all of a sudden went coach-only, I’d probably reconsider taking a western LD from end to end, which is what I usually do now.

IANAL TINLA, but I cannot help but suspect that Amtrak may be courting "chargeback hell" at this rate. That being said, considering that he was apparently involved in a previous attempt at hitting the SWC, I'm inclined to point the finger at Steven Gardner (at Amtrak) for a lot of this.

IANAL TINLA, but I cannot help but suspect that Amtrak may be courting "chargeback hell" at this rate. That being said, considering that he was apparently involved in a previous attempt at hitting the SWC, I'm inclined to point the finger at Steven Gardner (at Amtrak) for a lot of this.
Stephen Gardner is the real mastermind behind all of these changes. The man only cares about one stretch of line and that's his baby the Northeast Corridor. Someone needs to remind him that if he doesn't fund and help the national network the nation will not fund Gateway.

I can tell you this for a fact if Amtrak attempts anything with West Virginia service Senator Manchin will not fund Gateway. And I believe a lot of other states will as well. Kiss Gateway good bye.

It's national or nothing.

Gateway is not really Amtrak or Gardner’s problem. Amtrak can live fine without Gateway. Gateway is mostly New Jersey and New York’s problem. It will be a long time before Amtrak develops enough traffic of its own to need more tunnels.

That is why Amtrak is not the lead agency for Gateway. It is PANYNJ. Portal Bridge is not an Amtrak project it is an NJT project. I think Gardner knows and understands that. He also knows and understands that his hands are tied to quite an extent as far as NEC goes by the Northeast Corridor Commission, a creation of the same PRIIA that brought us 209. There is no free lunch for anyone here.

According to a post on Facebook, now

Anderson's Amway Air Clowns @ Headquarters are considering implementing the Fresh Choice Meal Scheme on the Texas Eagle #21/#22!!

The OP says that they were told by Crew Members that this would begin in September, with a New Menu consisting of Cold Meals just like the Cap and the LSL.

Truth or Rumor, it's a Terrible idea for a Train that spends 2 days and 2 nights Traveling between Chicago and San Antonio!!!

Anderson's Amway Air Clowns @ Headquarters are considering implementing the Fresh Choice Meal Scheme on the Texas Eagle #21/#22!!

The OP says that they were told by Crew Members that this would begin in September, with a New Menu consisting of Cold Meals just like the Cap and the LSL.

Truth or Rumor, it's a Terrible idea for a Train that spends 2 days and 2 nights Traveling between Chicago and San Antonio!!!
Thanks for posting this... I was seriously thinking about booking a trip on the eagle in a sleeper plus connection on Hiawatha service to a meeting near Milwaukee at the end of September. Not doing that now. Sad, but I'm not paying a travel premium for box lunches.

Thank goodness this wouldn't take effect in August, if true. I'm taking both the Cap (WAS-CHI: Sleeper) and the TE (CHI-STL: Coach, STL for the weekend, STL-AUS: Sleeper) as part of my summer trip and if it was boxed meals for dinner & breakfast on the Cap and then dinner, breakfast, lunch, dinner on the TE- I'd be more than bummed. I'd probably be making friends with people (or using a delivery app, if available) in my longer stops to bring me some hot meals.

I really, really hope this doesn't happen to the Eagle, since I absolutely loved my trip on it, however I find it surprising that you seem to oppose implementing "Fresh Choices" on it, given you had said on another thread that you supported contemporary dining on the Lake Shore and Capitol...?

The "Cold Meal Deal" may work on overnight trips like CL & LSL but certainly not for a multi day trip where you expect a better choice of meal options than this plan seems to offer.
Passengers on multi-day trips don't seem to be any sort of priority or concern for this particular CEO.

Isn't it one night?
One night. Now add on the SAS-LAX leg and you've got a little more time than that.
Yes, the SAS-LAX leg is another two nights, however that's irrelevant right now, since this particular rumor was that the Texas Eagle is losing it's diner. The Sunset Limited is another story.

It's one night but it's two dinners if you get on the 21 anywhere from STL or earlier and ride to SAS. If you get on the 22 anywhere before FTW and ride to at least BNL it's two lunches.

Has anyone said yet whether the SL is going to boxed meals?

The "Cold Meal Deal" may work on overnight trips like CL & LSL but certainly not for a multi day trip where you expect a better choice of meal options than this plan seems to offer.
Passengers on multi-day trips don't seem to be any sort of priority or concern for this particular CEO.
I think it is multi-day trips that are a low priority for this CEO.

I think it is multi-day trips that are a low priority for this CEO.
But don't worry we're going to improve meal service for all of the Northeast Corridor trains. It'll be a new era of food on trains. On par with the Fred Harvey Company.

We need to get both Gardner and Anderson out of their offices and force them to eat their own crap box food.

We need to get both Gardner and Anderson out of their offices...
How would Gardner be ousted? Although Anderson can be ousted if the board consents to it as he is a CEO (although it is doubtful), Gardner is the board chairman, and trying to oust a chairman is easier said than done. It is surely Amtrak's darkest hour, on par with 1979 and 1997. What about the PRIIA that was signed back in 08?

Go Greyhound. Not for me. Amtrak is just a cut above Greyhound now and I stay in a bedroom for my long distance trips each year from west coast to Florida. Things aren't looking too good and I do write to my representatives.

I just took Am Airlines first class from Florida to Dallas and Dallas to Jackson Wyoming. Lunchtime food was excellent and service even better. I still fly to a west coast city at the end of my vacation and take Amtrak back across country. I think we are on our last legs for now. Ill keep writing however and be hopeful.

What doesn’t make sense here is the trains that would be a logical choice for this new menu would be The Cardinal and the City of New Orleans. In the case of the CONO the new menu would be a step up from what is currently served departing Chicago.

Agree. The CONO arguably has the worst food in the Amtrak system. I had a horrible dinner two months ago similar to Dinty Moore beef stew. The Cardinal at least had French Toast when I rode in March. Actually,the Cardinal and the CONO would be better trains for the boxed cold food than the CL and the LSL

Back