EB mess

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Via the Empire Builder group on Facebook:

The temporary MSP-CHI Empire Builder stub consist is two P42s, two
coaches, a coach-baggage and a Sightseer lounge.

On both 807(3) and 808(3) there was not enough passenger load to
require opening all three coaches; one was closed and locked.
This has been typical since June 1 when the stub train operation
began; average load has been 65-75.

Crew: engineer, conductor, assistant conductor (change
at Winona), two coach attendants, lounge car Lead Service
Attendant.

Through June 3, Trains 807 and 808 have been in permanent Service
Disruption status, so that no information about their operation can
be seen online. The Service Disruption also blocked Internet sales
of space on these trains, though agents at staffed stations were
still selling and ticketing the trains. Finally somebody at Amtrak
may have realized the Service Disruption status was a mistake; Train
807(4) displays normally and prospective passengers can book and
ticket reservations at amtrak.com. However, Train 808(4) still shows
as Disrupted.

Yesterday, Train 808(3) departed St. Paul on time. It went five miles
and then sat 100 minutes for an empty CP ethanol train. With a
bottleneck resulting from a track out of service near St. Croix
Jct., all intermediate sidings were occupied with freight trains,
both live and dead.

Train 807(3) was delayed toward the end of its run after
a nearly on-time trip; it arrived St. Paul Union Depot 26 minutes
late. Passengers detraining at St. Paul found the Amtrak ticket
office closed, dark and locked. Those with checked bags were looking
for an Amtrak employee (it takes a long time for bags to arrive,
because the tractor has to drive nearly a half mile from the baggage
car to the bag claim area). The two on-duty Amtrak agents were found
on a parking garage ramp; they said they were out there with the
ticket counter closed "so we don't have to deal with all those
people."

The train and engine crew turned the train on the Division Street
wye just east of St. Paul Union Depot right after arrival. That is
easier and quicker than turning all the seats and running the engines
around the train, even if they are lined back-to-back.

A very reliable source says that through operation of Trains 7 and 8
will resume this Friday, but warns of regular delays of up to
six hours for the foreseeable future.

The two on-duty Amtrak agents were found

on a parking garage ramp; they said they were out there with the

ticket counter closed "so we don't have to deal with all those

people."
OK, THEY need to be reported. I'm fairly sure they'd be fired almost immediately if this story is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought so too, although the use of the passive voice suggests that the poster wasn't speaking from their own experience...I hesitated to repost what amounts to a rumor, but thought it was important enough to pass on.

I don't believe that story at all. First, it's a classic third-party friend-of-a-friend story, the No. 1 indicator that a story is untrue. Second, do you really believe even the laziest Amtrak ticket agent would say "we don't want to deal with those people" knowing that the remark would become public?

More to the point why can you not book a ticket on-line?

That a true screw up.

I sure the employees were doing something important like a meal break, not just hiding from the customer. That would never happens.

I've seen behavior worse than that at other organizations.

I would still be surprised to see behavior that bad at St. Paul Amtrak unless there's been a major change in staff, since the St. Paul staff were always very helpful when I was there.

Quick BNSF Update: As folks may have noticed, even the truncated versions of the EB's have been losing 6-10+ hours on their treks over the past few days, with one of the EB's experiencing a 13 hour delay-ouch. My BNSF contacts say this may still happen occasionally, even after the full EB service is restored. BNSF has a virtual logjam of freight business ongoing and until new track construction is complete, things might even get a little worse before they get better. One tiny ray of hope, they did say the track construction was slightly ahead of schedule. BTW-The 115 mile double tracking plan for the Hi-Line finishes up in late 2016. Only a small part of this plan will be completed (less than 25%) in 2014. 2015 will be a bigger construction effort on the part of BNSF.

Both my local contacts said they have never seen things so "screwed up" on this route. Yes, the Empire Builders have been ridiculously late, but some freight traffic has been days and weeks behind and off the record has cost them some business as some customers have gotten creative in finding other ways to move their goods. The Intermodal ops are the ones that have lost the most new biz, since that is the easiest to move. Coal, agro and energy are less flexible.

One tiny ray of hope, they did say the track construction was slightly ahead of schedule.
Well, that's good!

BTW-The 115 mile double tracking plan for the Hi-Line finishes up in late 2016. Only a small part of this plan will be completed (less than 25%) in 2014. 2015 will be a bigger construction effort on the part of BNSF.
So BNSF should hire some more temporary gandydancers! There are lots of people out of work in this country! I understand if engineering and environmental review and buying land and ordering switchpoints manufactured and materials delivered and so forth is slowing things down, but the actual track installation isn't highly skilled labor, and it should be possible to do it pretty much all at once.

One tiny ray of hope, they did say the track construction was slightly ahead of schedule.
Well, that's good!
BTW-The 115 mile double tracking plan for the Hi-Line finishes up in late 2016. Only a small part of this plan will be completed (less than 25%) in 2014. 2015 will be a bigger construction effort on the part of BNSF.
So BNSF should hire some more temporary gandydancers! There are lots of people out of work in this country! I understand if engineering and environmental review and buying land and ordering switchpoints manufactured and materials delivered and so forth is slowing things down, but the actual track installation isn't highly skilled labor, and it should be possible to do it pretty much all at once.
It may be more about available time to do the construction. The "season" as we all know, is quite short in the northern tier of the US.

Well, that's good!
To the contrary. Track installation is highly specialized both in skills and machinery. You are not going to find worthwhile track labor by wandering down to the unemployment office and grabbing the first few strong looking men you see. If you get the opportunity get out and watch such stuff as a T&S (tie and surfacing) operation or a rail replacement gang at work and you will see what I mean. The other problem involved is stopping for every train passage. That can eat up a lot of the work day on an hgih volumen railroad. Even if you do not have to clear the track since this will be on a new roadbed, it will still be adjacent to a live track, so for safety reasons work is paused while the trains go by. Also, the traisn will be passing with a slow order, to what speed I do not know for this situation.

For the most part the work should be within existing right of way. Getting material delivered and on site may be somewhat of a critical path issue, but this could have started as soon as the decision was made to do the work and go in parallel with gettin permits as needed and doing the grading and drainage work.

I would hope BNSF is building new track on 25 foot clearance. Like the UP has done.

My understand at 25 feet MOW equipment does not impact the track next to it. Sure a slow order and ring bell is a great idea, but the MOW equipment can keep work as the train past.

25 feet between the center of both tracks.

In addition to what George said, there's almost certainly union restrictions on being able to hire temporary workers.

Looking at all of the equipment that is indeed used to lay the track I would have to agree this isn't just finding some strong backs able to wield a hammer.

:)))

I do believe the loss of revenue is having an impact. While BNSF could care less about Amtrak, potentially losing millions each month in Intermodal traffic alone has gotten the attention of the executive suite. I understand several of the TL carriers, a major container shipper from China, and one of the expedite firms (supposedly UPS) read the riot act to BNSF people over the past couple weeks. Telling them to get their act together or they are moving their biz to another carrier.

They have dug themselves such a deep hole over the past three plus years this isn't something that is "cured" in a matter of weeks or months though.

I would hope BNSF is building new track on 25 foot clearance. Like the UP has done.

My understand at 25 feet MOW equipment does not impact the track next to it. Sure a slow order and ring bell is a great idea, but the MOW equipment can keep work as the train past.

25 feet between the center of both tracks.
Whether or not this is done depends upon quite a few factors, such as increased cost of earthwork, right of way, etc. The grading and drainage, which the most of the work anyway, has to go right up to the exiting track. The 25 feet is more of an advantage in future maintenance work. If you look at pictures of where the UP has done this 25 feet offset, you will see that it is in the middle of nowhere. If there are constraints on land, the track centers will come down.

BNSF's latest ad.

attachicon.gif
IMG_4715.jpg
Maybe 'stronger than ever' as BNSF, but certainly not when the High Line was run by James Hill!

In addition to what George said, there's almost certainly union restrictions on being able to hire temporary workers.
And where would you find temporary workers in the oil patch? Even if you did, where would you house them?

You could always house them in trailers like FEMA does after Hurricanes and other Natural Disasters! I'm sure BNSF could cut a deal with a Mobile Housing Manufacturer!

Other method would be having the gangs live in converted railcars like Railroads used to do when they eliminated section housing for crews!

Maybe they could use their Business Cars as housing and offer Bonuses and wages competitive with the Oil Bid since its all a tax write off anyway!

You could always house them in trailers like FEMA does after Hurricanes and other Natural Disasters! I'm sure BNSF could cut a deal with a Mobile Housing Manufacturer!
And ship them in on the uncrowded freight line? And hook them up to what water and sewer? There are already huge temporary housing areas called (I'm not kidding) "man camps" which are built as fast as they can be. Me, I like to have a basement out on the prairie, but YMMV.

And ship them in on the uncrowded freight line? And hook them up to what water and sewer? There are already huge temporary housing areas called (I'm not kidding) "man camps" which are built as fast as they can be. Me, I like to have a basement out on the prairie, but YMMV.
Yeah, the "man camps" have been visible from the Empire Builder for at least the last two years. What we used to call "trailer courts" but with "hot bunking" -- sheesh - the Bakken is a "boom town" - these $30/hr (absolute minimum wage) - dishwashers get $40, laborers get much more) but pay $3500/month absolute minimum for a time-share on a narrow bunk in a single-wide. You want a room of your own, you commute from SPK or MSP, or pay twice San Jose prices for any lodgings.

It's hard to convince outsiders just what a boom-town the Williston area is. It is insane. Might be a bit like the 49'ers. It is totally insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back