Eating IN at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
I'll be arriving NYP at 12:47 from RVR connecting to the LSL so will have a few hours to kill. I plan to explore NYP since I've only been there once a long time ago. Rather than eating amcafe fare on the train I would appreciate suggestions of the best place to eat inside NYP.

Thanks!

Well a lot depends on whether you want fast food or slow food. Within the station choices abound for fast food, but sit down, slow down, I want to be served choices are more limited. If you want fast food, just walk along the lower level, aka the LIRR level. There's a Subway, pizza place, sandwich shops, Tim Hortons, etc.

If you want something slower, better, and more filling, then my suggestion would be to leave Penn Station. If you're in the Amtrak waiting area, exit via the escalator near the higher track numbers at the opposite end from the baggage area. Once upstairs, caty corner from Penn Station across 8th Ave & 33rd Street is the Stage Door Deli. A very decent meal for a not too horrible price can be had there.

Well a lot depends on whether you want fast food or slow food. Within the station choices abound for fast food, but sit down, slow down, I want to be served choices are more limited. If you want fast food, just walk along the lower level, aka the LIRR level. There's a Subway, pizza place, sandwich shops, Tim Hortons, etc.

If you want something slower, better, and more filling, then my suggestion would be to leave Penn Station. If you're in the Amtrak waiting area, exit via the escalator near the higher track numbers at the opposite end from the baggage area. Once upstairs, caty corner from Penn Station across 8th Ave & 33rd Street is the Stage Door Deli. A very decent meal for a not too horrible price can be had there.
I've got time so I see Stage Door Deli in my near future. Thanks Alan!!

I ate at the Stage Door Deli (with Alan and Shanghai) last month and I had a great sandwich, even though it was gigantic!!!

Here is the website. http://www.stagedoordeli.com/

I ate at the Stage Door Deli (with Alan and Shanghai) last month and I had a great sandwich, even though it was gigantic!!!
Last time I ate at a Stage Door Deli, at the Luxor, there was enough left over for a second meal. And I was 3 times Penny's size.

Aloha

I'm a pizza fanatic. I grabbed some lunch between arriving on the Meteor and my Albany train at the "assembly-line" type pizza place right on the concourse. Very good pie, and great bang for the buck and service.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far away) there used to be a Nedick's that was my favorite. Anyone go back that far? I don't mean the 2003 reincarnation (which didn't last long), but the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that everyone has an opinion on the best pizza, and I don't want to start a fight -- I'm just offering information.

A couple of months ago I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about a fellow who set out to eat a slice of pizza in every pizza joint in Manhattan and document the results on his web site, Slice Harvester. He has now completed his quest and he rates NY Pizza Suprema as the best pizza in Manhattan, the only place to get a score of 8 on his 8-point scale. NY Pizza Suprema is at 413 8th Ave, between 30th Street and 31st Street, which is to say, a stone's throw from the southwest corner of NYP.

I've never eaten there, as I haven't been in Manhattan since I came into possession of this information, but I directed a Manhattanite friend of mine there and he reported "It's pretty d*mn good," and sent me this picture of his slice. I plan to eat there the next time I am in town.

6693461343_7ff672f613_z.jpg

With nearly three hours at your disposal, I would recommend leaving Penn Station. Either do something like take the subway to Chinatown, or walk down the west side to Chelsea Market (16th and 9th) which is a fun place to kill time and eat, and a lot nicer than Penn Station. Also, on Seventh and Eighth Avenues, once you get south of 23rd Street, there are lots of great neighborhood places where the locals eat, always a good sign.

If you ask me, "decent meal at Penn Station" is a total oxymoron. What I would do in your situation is go to Grand Central, one of the most beautiful train stations in the world (completely unlike the hideous and depressing Penn Station). There is a quite good food court downstairs at GCT, and several sit-down restaurants in the building as well. While you're there you can walk all around, there is a lot to see in the station. The new Apple store just opened on the mezzanine and there is usually some sort of exhibit or activity going on in the Vanderbilt Hall. There's a nice food hall where you could visit Murray's Cheese and pick up goodies for your trip. There are several passages to the surrounding streets with shopping, everything from drug store or newsstand, to a fancy pen shop.

Take an uptown subway to 42nd St./Times Square, then take the S shuttle to GCT. Reverse the route to return to GCT. The trip should take about 20 minutes each way and is all underground, so no problems with traffic or weather.

About 13 yrs. ago I used to work in the Penn Bar which was on the corner of 31st and 8th. That bar has been replaced with chain rest/bar, but there is an Irish bar/rest. on the corner of 30th and 8th called the Molly Wee. The owner has several places around the city and they are all kept very clean and serve good food.

I've made this recommendation before--from the LIRR level, right outside the 1/2/3 trains, there's a bar and restaurant that opened a few years ago called Tracks. Extensive oyster/raw bar selection if you're into that, good bar menu, good service, railroad themes, and there's a dining area in the back (you may need to wade through the front crowd on a weeknight, or there's a "hidden" walkway to the back door in the station).

If you have the right bartender, you may even be able to bring a "commuter cup" with you.

Another option if you have time to kill is the Skyline Diner on 34th and 9th, which is quite good.

I remember Nedicks too. It used to be where the McDonald's is on the LIRR concourse. The Nathan's in Penn is on the Amtrak concourse though. I usually stop in there and grab something on my way back to LI when I'm visiting.

I usually end up hitting Penn Sushi, which isn't too bad. The miso is mediocre, but the tuna isn't bad. Generally, though, I don't want to wander from Penn when I'm changing trains there.

Hi Friend

Not sure what price range you are thinking of. So hear are some options. Just remember eating in NY is good not only cause of the variety of fare, but also cause of the intoxicating vibrancy of Manhattan. Feeling this buzz is one of the pleasures of visiting and eating in NYC

These are my favorites, in no particular order

----------------------

Rosa's Pizza 'on the concourse level. Serves single slice pizza with soft drinks. Excellent pizza, nice place to sit and take in the NY scene. Favored by male college students, commuters , and folks leaving Knicks and Rangers games.

--

Molly Wee Pub, on the NE Corner of 8th & 30th street (one block south of the Station). Irish pub, favored by cops, and businessmen (and occasional Franciscan priests) Sort of has an old time NY atmosphere. Pints for $5, burgers for `0$

--

Nicke and Step's Steakhouse 9 Penn Plaza New York, NY 10001. Terrific steak house - good service, great food, but pricy - (steaks over $30).. You can make it cheap by having a Caesar Salad, and some ice water. But that would sorta defeat the point of going to a steak house , wouldn't it :cool:

Rosa's Pizza 'on the concourse level. Serves single slice pizza with soft drinks. Excellent pizza, nice place to sit and take in the NY scene. Favored by male college students, commuters , and folks leaving Knicks and Rangers games.
Actually, that's Rose Pizza, not Rosa.

I know that everyone has an opinion on the best pizza, and I don't want to start a fight -- I'm just offering information.

A couple of months ago I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about a fellow who set out to eat a slice of pizza in every pizza joint in Manhattan and document the results on his web site, Slice Harvester. He has now completed his quest and he rates NY Pizza Suprema as the best pizza in Manhattan, the only place to get a score of 8 on his 8-point scale. NY Pizza Suprema is at 413 8th Ave, between 30th Street and 31st Street, which is to say, a stone's throw from the southwest corner of NYP.

I've never eaten there, as I haven't been in Manhattan since I came into possession of this information, but I directed a Manhattanite friend of mine there and he reported "It's pretty d*mn good," and sent me this picture of his slice. I plan to eat there the next time I am in town.

6693461343_7ff672f613_z.jpg
This. A thousand times this. I'm being honest here. This is the best food in the area. I've spoken to the lovely attendants at the Club Acela, and they agree. Pizza Suprema is THE place you have to go.

There are plenty of places if you want to go searching outside. NY pizza is pretty much good from place to place, there really isn't one "out of this world" great NY pizza, all are pretty equally good.

It also depends on how much you want to spend. There are many high end restaurants with pretty expensive grub, and some hidden bargin places. Just gotta look around.

I too would recommend going over to Grand Central. IMHO the best non-trackside part of NYP is ClubAcela, whereas Grand Central Station is just a great space to be in, even if Amtrak no longer uses it. :unsure: The food court is not bad, and there are 'sit down' dining choices too, like the Grand Central Oyster Bar: http://www.oysterbarny.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back