Downeaster speeds...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
Are the speed limits still restricted to 59 mph???...I know

Amtrak wanted 79....anything new with this issue????

Last that I heard, the STB is supposed to be reviewing the data and a decision should be out within the next month or so. Therefore at the moment speeds are still restricted to 59.

Also David Fink, from Guilford, has publicly stated that he doesn't care what the STB decides. He has no plans to allow Amtrak to run at 79. Therefore an additional court battle may be pending between Amtrak, the FRA, and the STB against Guilford.

And I thought CSX was bad with its restrictions! The people over at Guilford need to get a life. Amtrak is a PASSENGER train, not a FREIGHT train! Every other major freight railroad allows Amtrak to run at reasonable speeds of 79-90 MPH, why should Guilford be any different if the line is up to the standards necessary for 79 MPH operation?

And even with the slower speeds limited to 59 mph, that train has exceeded expectations. It's been running over 10 months now and has proven itself during its first winter season, and now during the past summer season. 79 mph would be an improvement, and would make the train competitive with driving and the parallel bus route. I think the biggest reason to run the Downeaster at a higher speed is to be able to make better use of the equipment by allowing more time for more trips. Expanding on those 4 round trips per day will also be a tremendous improvement in something that is already a huge success. Now if we can convince those "Finks"........

Most LDT's are running at normal speeds.

We still have the restriction on using the 1700 series cars after the derailment. CSX has imposed this ban until the investigation is over.

B)

Superliner Diner said:
And even with the slower speeds limited to 59 mph, that train has exceeded expectations. It's been running over 10 months now and has proven itself during its first winter season, and now during the past summer season. 79 mph would be an improvement, and would make the train competitive with driving and the parallel bus route. I think the biggest reason to run the Downeaster at a higher speed is to be able to make better use of the equipment by allowing more time for more trips. Expanding on those 4 round trips per day will also be a tremendous improvement in something that is already a huge success. Now if we can convince those "Finks"........
I agree, that higher speeds would help to make something very nice something even better. It would be nice to see Guilford wake up and realize that 79 mph wouldn't be much worse.

It would be nice to one day see BOS linked directly to BON.

How good/bad is Guilford as far as delaying the Downeaster for freight?

Viewliner said:
How good/bad is Guilford as far as delaying the Downeaster for freight?
So far Guilford has a very good record for keeping Amtrak on time. :)

Of course that might change if and when they get ordered to let Amtrak run at 79mph. Wouldn't be surprised if they drop signals in front of the trains to keep them closer to 59mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back