Dome Car. Horseshoe Curve. Behind Steam

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Court Jester
Memorial Day weekend:

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/horseshoe-curve-special/

This summer, steam locomotive no. 765 will march between Lewistown and Gallitzin, Pennsylvania, climbing the famous Horseshoe Curve on Memorial Day Weekend May 25th, 26th, and 27th. For the first time in over 30 years, ride a steam-powered passenger train through the Allegheny mountain range, enjoying the sights, sounds, and experiences of timeless American industry.
Three 160-mile round-trips excursions of the Horseshoe Curve Special will traverse one of the busiest routes in the country over the former Pennsylvania Railroads Middle Division, and through Altoona, the railroad capital of the Standard Railroad of the World.

All round-trips depart the historic Lewistown station in the morning (approximately 8AM), turn at Gallitzin, and arrive Lewistown in evening (approximately 6PM.) Each trip will include a 2.5-hour layover in Altoona.
Tickets on sale 2/26.

Not sure if I'm going to be able to swing this, but figured that folks here may be interested.

Sweet! But Oh... Temptation... Temptation... :wacko:

:ph34r:

Is it me or is the year a good one for steam excursions? :blush:

:help:

Memorial Day weekend:

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/horseshoe-curve-special/

This summer, steam locomotive no. 765 will march between Lewistown and Gallitzin, Pennsylvania, climbing the famous Horseshoe Curve on Memorial Day Weekend May 25th, 26th, and 27th. For the first time in over 30 years, ride a steam-powered passenger train through the Allegheny mountain range, enjoying the sights, sounds, and experiences of timeless American industry.
Three 160-mile round-trips excursions of the Horseshoe Curve Special will traverse one of the busiest routes in the country over the former Pennsylvania Railroads Middle Division, and through Altoona, the railroad capital of the Standard Railroad of the World.

All round-trips depart the historic Lewistown station in the morning (approximately 8AM), turn at Gallitzin, and arrive Lewistown in evening (approximately 6PM.) Each trip will include a 2.5-hour layover in Altoona.
Tickets on sale 2/26.

Not sure if I'm going to be able to swing this, but figured that folks here may be interested.
I would love to do this, but no way is my wallet fat enough.

Aloha

Though the fares are pretty reasonable, Team Whooz will be elsewhere in the nation during this event - which should be an excellent inducement for others to go for it!

For those in the area who may not be able to afford the rides, let me point out that there are numerous excellent railfanning points along the route - all free except for the getting there (though likely to be crowded) - and Horseshoe Curve itself (EDIT: Not free) features an excellent inside-the-curve viewing platform (except for the trees).

A particularly enticing spot might be the overpass by the tunnels at Gallitzin, where the excursion will be turned. Also, the museum at Altoona (included in fares, reasonable admission otherwise) is quite good.

Horseshoe+curve+Altoona+PA.jpg
Aerial view of Horseshoe Curve and viewing area.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Back