Disability discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to confirm it has to be a mobility disability in order to get the 15% discount? A mental health disability and being on SSDI Disability doesn't qualify?

I use the disability discount all the time. And I do not have a mobility disability.

I can't speak for the auto train as I've never ridden it.

I just want to confirm it has to be a mobility disability in order to get the 15% discount? A mental health disability and being on SSDI Disability doesn't qualify?
Are you booking via the app? Are you selecting "Passenger with a disability"?Under that there is an option "I have a disability not listed here".

You do need to carry documentation with you in case they ask.

I use the disability discount all the time. And I do not have a mobility disability.
There does indeed seem to be some inconsistences in the rules/polices between making a reservation for disabled person, and the discount for a disabled person.

For a reservation, disabilities expands to include "passengers who are deaf or have a hearing loss, passengers who are blind or have a vision loss"

There does indeed seem to be some inconsistences in the rules/polices between making a reservation for disabled person, and the discount for a disabled person.

For a reservation, disabilities expands to include "passengers who are deaf or have a hearing loss, passengers who are blind or have a vision loss"
I would expect there to be a difference between them as far as booking a H room. Obviously the deaf/HoH do not need the H room.

I've only recently started shopping for deaf friendly accessible hotel rooms. I'm finding most of the ones I've seen so far are a combination mobility, vision, deaf accessible. I feel a little bad taking a room that is wheelchair accessible since someone may be wanting to book it after I've already booked it. I did find a hotel for my next trip that says it's just deaf accessible.

I am legally blind/low vision, so I technically qualify for the disability discount. However, I realize that there are many other people who have different and more severe disabilities than I do. So I leave that discount (and accommodations) for them. The only assistance I would need (and it's up to me whether I want it) is help with boarding and detraining.

So I just take the AAA discount. :)

I am legally blind/low vision, so I technically qualify for the disability discount. However, I realize that there are many other people who have different and more severe disabilities than I do. So I leave that discount (and accommodations) for them. The only assistance I would need (and it's up to me whether I want it) is help with boarding and detraining.

So I just take the AAA discount. :)
When I use the Amtrak discount, I'm not taking anything away from anyone. I don't understand your "leave that discount for them". I understand the leaving the H room for some who would not be able to travel w/o it being available for them.

That's interesting about the disability discount - for those of us with a Service Connected disability (and the appropriate VA card. It is 15% just like our senior discount. Does it offer anything additional over just using the senior discount as we have been?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting about the disability discount - for those of us with a Service Connected disability (and the appropriate VA card. It is 15% just like our senior discount. Does it offer anything additional over just using the senior discount as we have been?
You can request assistance, but that's about it. I don't qualify for the senior discount....yet, so I use the disability one.

On the DownEaster it would be a much bigger discount, also a disability discount would entitle someone to book a companion at the reduced fare. Senior discount does not apply to B-C or sleeper, I'm pretty sure disability does (other than AutoTrain which has special rules).

Last edited by a moderator:
On the DownEaster it would be a much bigger discount, also a disability discount would entitle someone to book a companion at the reduced fare. Senior discount does not apply to B-C or sleeper, I'm pretty sure disability does (other than AutoTrain which has special rules).
Disability discount only applies to the rail fare, not rooms. If you qualify for the H-room, then it's priced as a roomette, not as a bedroom.

That is correct.

When I try to book the H-Room on line it allows the 15% discount on just the rail fare, but if I call an agent, I get 15% off the rail fare AND room charge! Plus, the disability discount also applies to your companion, no matter their age! :)

Back