dirty windows

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reviving this old thread as I was recently wondering about the consistently dirty windows. Last time I took the Zephyr (two years ago) windows were washed manually in Denver. Are they still doing that? Does anyone have any new information on where Amtrak is washing windows these days, if at all? Where do they have automatic car washers outside of Chicago? Do they wash the cars before every outbound trip? Not that Amtrak markets long distance trains but having that great view out the window has always been a major selling point. We're all aware of the nickel and dining Amtrak has been doing for years to satisfy the overlords in Washington, but this would seem to me to be a valid expense.

A lot of it has to do with the weather. They tend to limit car wash operation when the weather is approaching freezing temperatures. This has a particular impact Chicago based trains and eastern trains.  Additionally, with additional services being added  and utilization altered since this thread was started (some trains have been extended or turn to trains that may not have access to a wash), a train may not hit an in service wash for quite some time.

Not to worry. We were serviced even when we were three hours late. And we dropped some more time fiddling around with PVs after that.
Some places won't have to worry about that now. Say "Thank you Mr. Anderson!" :p

Third Rail, I "have my thing" about clean vehicles.

Funny how I can go to a full-service (the $25 varietal) car wash and lesve with a clean auto almost any day. Even Lexus, with their "freebies" (tips accepted) will do washes with a cut-off at about 25F.

Therefore, I find it appalling when I see #3 and #5 - 18 miles into their journeys, looking like "the unwashed".

Funny how I can go to a full-service (the $25 varietal) car wash and lesve with a clean auto almost any day. Even Lexus, with their "freebies" (tips accepted) will do washes with a cut-off at about 25F.

Therefore, I find it appalling when I see #3 and #5 - 18 miles into their journeys, looking like "the unwashed".
Wait, what? You are saying that because you can get your car washed for $25, you find it appalling to see a train with dirty windows? How does that connect?

Potisch. I keep my auto clean (JRR can attest to that; he knows I was less than in love with a bird that decorated it while we were at Lunch); why can't Amtrak do same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Potisch. I keep my auto clean (JRR can attest to that; he knows I was less than in love with a bird that decorated it while we were at Lunch); why can't Amtrak do same?
I repeat, there's absolutely no connection whatsoever between your ability to have your 15 foot personal vehicle washed for $25, and Amtrak's ability (or lack of) to wash a thousand foot train.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my memories from 1968 was going to the platform at Penn Station to board the Merchants Limited for Boston.  One of the coaches looked like it had been uniformly sprayed with a coating of mud.  The windows of that coach were covered with mud.  Outside on the platform was a passenger with a rag or paper towel and a bottle of water washing off his window.  It was a rather remarkable scene.

Perhaps we are going back to those halcyon days.  

In my area one of the local car wash chains has a great monthly service where you pay a monthly rate for unlimited car washes.....business is booming for them you should see the lines the first nice day after a snow storm. My truck is almost always shiny as a result! [emoji41]

Only problem is when I’m out of town with my vehicle (last time I took the auto train to Florida I almost did this) I forget that I just can’t drive into any car wash like at home!

I'll wash my own vehicle when it is above 50 degrees. If it's above 35 or so I'll take it to the self-service. Whenever I ride the michigan trains the windows are almost universally dirty, at least in the winter time. I'm waiting for the folks to scream about RA's conspiracy to kill the LD trains by way of dirty windows.

In my area one of the local car wash chains has a great monthly service where you pay a monthly rate for unlimited car washes.....business is booming for them you should see the lines the first nice day after a snow storm. My truck is almost always shiny as a result!
emoji41.png

Only problem is when I’m out of town with my vehicle (last time I took the auto train to Florida I almost did this) I forget that I just can’t drive into any car wash like at home!
I think the best solution to this dilemma is to just live in NYC, where you won't need or even want a car! :D

I've had both good and bad experiences with Amtrak windows being clean or dirty.  If it's important to you then I'd say the most practical solution would be to choose a room/seat on the bottom level and bring some supplies to clean the window yourself.  It's not ideal but that should get the job done.  Just be aware that if the window in question is on the non-boarding side of the train you may have to wait for another stop or move quick and stay out of sight.

I actually started to clean my window in a lower level roomette is Pasco on 28. The sca saw what I was doing and he got a towel and heavy duty cleaning fluid, sprayed my window and cleaned it.  Then wondered why he got a 20 dollar bill.   One of the good ones.  

I actually started to clean my window in a lower level roomette is Pasco on 28. The sca saw what I was doing and he got a towel and heavy duty cleaning fluid, sprayed my window and cleaned it.  Then wondered why he got a 20 dollar bill.   One of the good ones.  
Geez! One could almost get ones entire Lexus cleaned for that much. :lol: :hi:

Geez! One could almost get ones entire Lexus cleaned for that much. :lol: :hi:
Or a Bentley or Maserati.
I think you missed the joke.

I have noticed what appears to be a date stamp on the windows, and have noticed that they are always within a couple years of age.  Are the windows replaced frequently? 

I have ridden amtrak all over the country and for the most part the windows look like they were hardly ever washed.  The did as mention do it on the SWC Chief which  it self is now in danger from the new management. I recall riding the California Zephyr 40 years ago and found the windows to be lousy then.  The Domes on the Capitol Limited were the same.  Amtrak just doesn't have ever seemed to have a really good grip on what makes people happy when they travel by rail and seeing the scenery is one of them.  Part of it might be he type of material they use for the windows, some of it appears to be foggy from age rather than dirt. But now days there is usually plenty of that as well. I love the video on you tube about the great cleaning crews some of the name trains had when they were turned in NY.  They had people scrambling all over the train restoring it to pristine condition before sending it out again.  Today and for most of Amtrak's existence I have notice how dirty the corners are along the walls in the bath rooms.  As someone who knows how to clean and being able to see dirt where it exist I have to wonder who the supervisors are that allow the conditions we often see now?  Worse probably is the outside of the local run Amtrak Trains, the ones coming though here look like no one has cleaned them for a month. 

When you wash your car, does it have many vital components sitting outside and uncovered or do they tend to towel it dry after it is washed?

When you wash your car, will it sit in a yard for quite some time as the temperature drops and be allowed to drip drop?

Does your car operate at 79mph or higher?

Frozen trains doors are very uncool.

Third Rail, I can recall first hand how the (RR) California Zephyr was washed at both Denver and Portola. I can recall DPM articles in TRAINS titled "The Clean Window Train" referring to the (RR) Empire Builder.

On the other hand, as the end drew nigh, I can recall, reported in TRAINS, how a tour operator, was seen at stations up on a ladder cleaning the windows of his party's car. Further, I understand all of the reasons you have set forth regarding all-weather railcar washing.

Back