Dinner Reservation process for Eastbound Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
I tried the search function as I've seen the information somewhere within the AU.

Are dinner reservations for sleeping car pax made while in the Metropolitan Lounge or onboard?

I'd like to get a sevenish dinner reservation to allow time for my mandatory pre-dinner cocktail in the SSL.

I tried the search function as I've seen the information somewhere within the AU.

Are dinner reservations for sleeping car pax made while in the Metropolitan Lounge or onboard?

I'd like to get a sevenish dinner reservation to allow time for my mandatory pre-dinner cocktail in the SSL.
Yes, you can make your Dinner Rez @ the Desk in the Metro Lounge! Just rem,ember you'll Lose an Hour in Indiana soon after Leaving Illinois due to EDT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, you can make your Dinner Rez @ the Desk in the Metro Lounge! Just rem,ember you'll Lose an Hour in Indiana soon after Leaving Illinois due to EDT!!!

Thanks, that pesky time zone change may cause a problem. I guess I may have to settle for a mandatory pre-dinner shot or two then. Where there is a will there is a way.

While it's true that one loses any hour shortly after departure, please keep in mind that the dining car continues to operate on Central time until they finish serving dinner.

Very true. But if you choose (or are stuck with) a late reservation of say 8:30 or 9, your watch (being set on ET) will read 9:30 or 10 PM before you are called for dinner!
ohmy.gif
However, if you chose the earliest seating, because they board the CL early, you may even be eating even before the CL leaves the platform!
excl.gif

Last May when when I took the Capital Limited I was sitting in coach and decided to have dinner in the diner, they only had the second later seating for dinner left, I can't remember if I had a 7 pm or 8 pm Central Time dinner reservation but by the time I finished a very enjoyable leisurely dinner it was almost immediately time for the late night fresh air walk in Toledo and the train was running 27 minutes late (Thank you Amtrak train tracker) as in after 11pm ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I took the Cap (2010, I think), the lead service attendant came into the CUS Metro Lounge and took dinner reservations. Has this changed? I'll be taking the Cap in a couple of weeks, and perhaps I should check with the desk.

Recent experiences on 30:

Experience 1: Reservation taken in the Metropolitan Lounge

Experience 2: Reservation taken on the train.

My experience each time I've taken #30 is that when your first check into the Metro Lounge. and they see you're on #30, they ask when do you want to eat and reserve your dinner time there and then - before you leave the check-in desk!

My experience each time I've taken #30 is that when your first check into the Metro Lounge. and they see you're on #30, they ask when do you want to eat and reserve your dinner time there and then - before you leave the check-in desk!
That has been our experience as well. Dinner Reservations made when checking into the Metro Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back