Dining Car of the Maharajas' Express in India

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Thought some of you may enjoy this photo ((c) IRCTC, Indian Railways):

D3dSWw1W4AAT-1V.jpg

More photos at https://www.the-maharajas.com/

From what I have heard, formal dress is required in the Dining Car. It can be any of the various Indian formals (formal Kurta-Churidar, formal Dhoti-Punjabi etc. for men, formal Salwar-Kameez or Sari-Blouse for women) or basically western jacket and trousers for men and formal dress for women, a little better than business casual, minimally. Without that the ambiance would not be right.

I have not been on it, too expensive, so don't know what happens actually. Only see a few videos, but those may or may not be what actually happens on regular runs.

Last edited:
Maharajas Express BTW is an extremely expensive exclusive tourist operation running a circuit through a bunch of historical sites in Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra and UP. It is not a transportation service in the normal sense.

Last edited:
I enjoy upmarket service, but even if the price was right this is a bit too gaudy for my poor eyes. It also looks like the kind if dining that could include several "exotic delicacies" that may turn the stomach. I try to be open minded (for a Texan anyway) but once you get above a certain level really fancy food can become borderline inedible to me.

Back