Diner questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. The "complimentary" meal includes the meal (salad, main course, and dessert) plus your choice of one non-alchoholic beverage. Appetizers are not included and, as you know, neither is wine or beer. Also not included is the tip for service. At the risk of starting another of AU's lively tipping discussions, it is traditional to tip the dining car server more or less in line with what the tip would have been if you had paid. So a $20 dinner would rate a $3 to $4 tip. If you add a half bottle of wine (at $14) and the tip for that (say $2), then your "complimentary" meal will cost about $20 out of pocket - more or less.
How would you suggest tipping your attendant if you're dining in an H-room? I'm not sure I can make it to the Dining Car or Parlour Car on the CS to SLO, and I want to make sure I tip our attendant or whoever brings our meals to us appropriately. I was assuming that I would tip him/her the same as I would the others?

Thanks! :)

2. The "complimentary" meal includes the meal (salad, main course, and dessert) plus your choice of one non-alchoholic beverage. Appetizers are not included and, as you know, neither is wine or beer. Also not included is the tip for service. At the risk of starting another of AU's lively tipping discussions, it is traditional to tip the dining car server more or less in line with what the tip would have been if you had paid. So a $20 dinner would rate a $3 to $4 tip. If you add a half bottle of wine (at $14) and the tip for that (say $2), then your "complimentary" meal will cost about $20 out of pocket - more or less.
How would you suggest tipping your attendant if you're dining in an H-room? I'm not sure I can make it to the Dining Car or Parlour Car on the CS to SLO, and I want to make sure I tip our attendant or whoever brings our meals to us appropriately. I was assuming that I would tip him/her the same as I would the others?

Tip the Sleeping Car Attendant who will bring you the meal.

Well since you're not overnighting in the room, I would have suggested that you tip your sleeping car attendant (SCA) between $3 to $5 if he greets you at the train door, gives you a tour of the room and answers questions. If he does anything more, like helping with luggage or bringing you coffee or juice during the trip, I'd probably consider upping the tip a bit.

If you end up being unable to get to either the PPC or the diner for a meal, then I'd probably add at least $5 or $6 to the above recommendation. If the SCA is really happy to help, prompt with the food (and remember that the SCA is still at the mercy of the dining car chef), is quick to clear the trays away and so forth, then you may wish to go even higher than my suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back