Detroit > Fallingwater > Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
Hello all. I'm trying to price and plan a trip from the UK to the USA in late April and early May.

This will include four or maybe five days in Detroit, before heading to Washington in the last week of April.

Ages and ages ago I imagined drawing a straight line between these two cities on the map, and realised two things. Firstly, I do the trip neatly on the Capitol Limited, which is a new one for me (albeit one that's much maligned, it seems?). Secondly, I'd pass within just a few hundred yards of the world famous Fallingwater of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Traveling south-east from Detroit to Washington, I'm thinking of breaking my journey overnight to spend some time seeing Fallingwater, maybe also the local area. If I were to break the journey, Connellsville, PA (arr. 06:29AM) and Cumberland, MD (arr. 08:49AM) seem to be the nearest stops. Connellsville is closer but looks smaller, and would probably involve detraining before breakfast (so less value from a roomette). I'd need to either arrange a taxi to/from the house or get a car near the station and a place to stay overnight. Could anyone familiar with that part of Pennsylvania or Maryland suggest the preferable place to hop off the train for a day?

Thanks

I'm not personally familiar with either stop (nor Fallingwater), but I have taken the Capitol Limited a number of times. Here's a few things I would take into consideration:

• Unless the Capitol Limited is running late, you'll definitely miss breakfast.
  • The prettiest part of the eastbound run is between Connellsville and Cumberland, along the Youghiogheny River.
  • Cumberland would mean backtracking 60 miles.

Given that, I'd give strong consideration to getting off in Pittsburgh, which is also about 50-60 miles from Fallingwater, and would greatly simplify logistics.

Ok, Pittsburgh's an option I hadn't considered, mainly because it would mean an (on-time) detrain at 04:35AM :eek:hboy:

Both Connellsville and Cumberland have local branches of Enterprise, who I always used to depend upon to deliver cars to Amtrak stations in my travels around the USA. I'm not adverse to a bit of backtracking it means getting to sleep in and getting breakfast. A 60 mile backtrack might seem non-sensical, but coming from the UK I find driving in the States a breeze, and gas is still laughably cheap to me.

I've looked on Amsnag and Amtrak.com and have a few dates. I'm just wondering whether to stop for a full 24hrs to pick up the next day's train or whether to get a one way rental and just drive the last few hours down to DC.

Thanks for your input, although apologies if I don't sample Pittsburgh at 5am... !

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked to see if Fallingwater will be open for tourists when you

plan to visit? I recall reading that the house would be closed while some

major rehab was being done. There is also a Frank Lloyd Wright home not

far from Fallingwater, but the name escapes me at the moment. I hope all

works well for you and you have an enjoyable visit to the US.

I Googled Fallingwater and found that it is open in May.

Also, the following is information on the other Wright designed

home in the area:

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the last decade of his career,

Kentuck Knob is nestled high in the western Pennsylvania mountains

seven miles south of Fallingwater and six miles from the historic National Road.

Another thought, if you decided to rent a car in Pittsburgh, the Frick home (Clayton)

is nearby and has now added the garage with antique cars. There is also a lovely country

home outside Pittsburgh that is worth a visit. In Somerset, PA there is a beautiful Georgian

Colonial home that has been restored and is a B&B and restaurant. I think it is on the drive

from Pittsburgh to Fallingwater.

Just an FYI, the Capitol Limited does NOT stop in Detroit. If you book from Detroit you will take an bus from Detroit to Toledo, where you'll pick up the Capitol.

peter

Just an FYI, the Capitol Limited does NOT stop in Detroit. If you book from Detroit you will take an bus from Detroit to Toledo, where you'll pick up the Capitol.
Thanks PerRock, a little bit of bus time shouldn't kill me. I may also start from Ann Arbor, which I guess is an earlier pick-up on the same run to Toledo? Shame about missing dinner that night, always enjoy dining on Amtrak.

(And thanks Shanghai for the other tips, will look them up).

There is another Frank Lloyd Wright house just south of DC in Fairfax County. Http://popeleighey1940.org/ Being a Usonian house it is pretty small, but it is still interesting. It looks as though you could reach it by the Richmond Highway Express bus which connects to Metro at King Street, Eisenhower and Huntington. I would guess it would take at least an hour depending on where in DC you start. I drove, so I don't know firsthand.

I'm not sure where PA falls in your itinerary, but Fallingwater is closed on Wednesdays. They are open on the Memorial Day holiday (Monday, May 28).

http://www.fallingwater.org/8/preparing-for-your-visit

Out of sheer curiosity, what are you doing in Detroit? I used to live in Ann Arbor, so it's always nice to hear of someone taking a vacation to Detroit.

^^^ There's a conference of interest to my field of work in Detroit in mid-April, and then a friend's wedding in DC. Since I'll be coming from the UK, I want to make the most of my trip, and also visit the Motor City. I appreciate it's not tourist priority number one, but I work in architecture and urbanism, so it's obviously a unique place (if a bit difficult) to visit and explore. I'm also aware of the fine academic institutions in Michigan; would love to make a detour to Ann Arbor to visit the university; my budget once I'm on the ground is going to be limited, however.

I live in Pittsburgh and have been to Fallingwater so many times I can recite the entire tour and usually tell my touring partners the parts the guide forgets to mention. The area is one of my favorite relaxing weekend getaways.

Bring good walking shoes that you wouldn't mind getting a little dirty. The paths to get to the Fallingwater house are mostly dirt or mulch. Fallingwater is situated right inside a nature preserve with lots of wooded trails to explore. You are not allowed to take photographs while inside the house, but if you are outside on one of the porches it is ok. I HIGHLY recommend advanced ticket purchases. Same day tickets are only sold as they can accommodate you and I've seen them sell out more than once. If you get to Fallingwater 30-40 minutes in advance of your appointment, lunch in the Cafe there is excellent, if a bit pricey.

If I were doing this trip, I would get off in Cumberland and enjoy the backtrack. The drive from Cumberland to Fallingwater is kind of scenic. Unfortunately, the only car rental place in Cumberland is a Hertz that isn't walking distance from the train station unless you illegally cross about 6 lines of freight tracks. You will need a cab to get your car. You will NOT be able to take a taxi from Cumberland to Fallingwater and I doubt there is any Taxi service at all in Connellsville.

Kentuck Knob is also a nice visit, but you have to watch the schedule there. It is an actively lived in house. One of your Lords from the UK owns it and lives there part of the year. When you're touring the house, you will see tubes of toothpaste in the bathroom, a semi-used loaf of bread, personal clothing... etc. If the Lord is in town, you won't be able to visit. There are large installation art displays all around the property. If you would like to see these, budget a lot of extra time.

If you are an avid steam rail fan, right there in Cumberland is the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. I've actually gotten to be at the throttle of that steam engine for a short run. The ride there will take you up through the mountains to a tiny town called Frostburg. They got that name for having frost in June.

Nearby Fallingwater is a town called Ohiopyle. There is a series of falls there plus access to a bike trail that runs from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. Clearly you won't be riding that whole distance, but you could rent a bike and roll along the river for a bit. If hiking is more your fancy, grab a map from one of the local shops, there are loads of trails. Some of which can take you back to some other interesting waterfalls. Ohiopyle is known for white water rafting, but in May, the water would be far too cold for my blood. Ohiopyle is also a decent place to grab a good, if a bit touristy, lunch. There are a number of good quality, family run food shops right across from the falls. I can't think of a single chain restaurant existing in that town.

You could quite possibly do all of these things over a very exhausting, but in my mind very refreshing, two days.

^^^ There's a conference of interest to my field of work in Detroit in mid-April, and then a friend's wedding in DC. Since I'll be coming from the UK, I want to make the most of my trip, and also visit the Motor City. I appreciate it's not tourist priority number one, but I work in architecture and urbanism, so it's obviously a unique place (if a bit difficult) to visit and explore. I'm also aware of the fine academic institutions in Michigan; would love to make a detour to Ann Arbor to visit the university; my budget once I'm on the ground is going to be limited, however.
I agree. There are some wonderful buildings to check out, and the downtown area is gorgeous (plus, coney dogs are yummy). You'll also like Greektown and the old churches. :) Wave to Canada while you're there; you can see it across the river. :)

The University of Michigan has a lovely campus with old buildings that look like castles. :) I used to walk around the Law Quad whenever I needed some peace and quiet. Most of the buildings are open 24/7. Be sure to check out the Law Quad and the Law Library if you're there. The Michigan Union (across the street) is worth a gander as well.

Thanks for the tips Oldsmoboi and Sorcha. Kind of getting fed up waiting for $ to be confirmed for my trip, just want to book it now :) The roomette fare for my preferred travel date is also still in the lowest bucket, I know I shouldn't be waiting!

"Both Connellsville and Cumberland have local branches of Enterprise, who I always used to depend upon to deliver cars to Amtrak stations in my travels around the USA. I'm not adverse to a bit of backtracking it means getting to sleep in and getting breakfast. A 60 mile backtrack might seem non-sensical, but coming from the UK I find driving in the States a breeze, and gas is still laughably cheap to me."

I've looked on Amsnag and Amtrak.com and have a few dates. I'm just wondering whether to stop for a full 24hrs to pick up the next day's train or whether to get a one way rental and just drive the last few hours down to DC.

Thanks for your input, although apologies if I don't sample Pittsburgh at 5am... !

I very much agree with your logic here, and just to add... the 60 mile trip in the car is really nice scenery too. It's not like driving in a city or large urban area, but great landscapes and some open country.

Strange that Enterprise didn't show up in my search of Cumberland, but if it's there, I'd use it to have the car delivered.

Must be a small branch - seems attached to a car dealership next to the train tracks a few miles north of town.

Last time I used an Amtrak / Enterprise combo was Tuscaloosa, Al. when I stepped off the Crescent. Enterprise rep who picked me up had no idea where the train station was, nor had he ever heard of a British person visiting that county as part of his vacation.

Like to keep the American tourist industry on its toes :lol:

I notice that neither Connellsville nor Cumberland offer checked baggage. Could someone remind me of the procedure if I have a suitcase and am in roomette? Is there limited space for an item if I have to keep it with me in the sleeping car?

There's a luggage rack downstairs for any bags that won't fit in your roomette with you.

When you are in Detroit, absolutely do not miss the Detroit Institute of Arts--it is a gorgeous, breath-taking, huge art museum with over $1 Billion dollars worth of art. Actually the art is priceless in my opinion~with many of the masters' art represented. I was blown away when I visited it~it is world class~and I had never heard of it despite living in MI for decades. Note that it is closed Mon and Tues.

Another option to consider...., you could just rent a car one way in Detroit and drive down to Fallingwater. It's not that far, and you would not see too much on the train - I think it was a night train. Drop the car at the Pittsburgh Airport for perhaps the lowest cost - as far as drop points go. Maybe even better - drop it in downtown Pittsburgh. Then take the Capital Limited (coach) and enjoy the Sightseer Lounge and the diner. Or take the Pennsylvanian with a 7 AM Pittsburgh departure - and it has nice scenic views - and Business class, as well as Amfleet ll coach cars (bigger windows in Amfleet ll cars).

Well no one in Cumberland who lives there doesn't know where the Amtrak station is... it runs right through the middle of town.

I agree. There are some wonderful buildings to check out, and the downtown area is gorgeous (plus, coney dogs are yummy). You'll also like Greektown and the old churches. :) Wave to Canada while you're there; you can see it across the river. :)

The University of Michigan has a lovely campus with old buildings that look like castles. :) I used to walk around the Law Quad whenever I needed some peace and quiet. Most of the buildings are open 24/7. Be sure to check out the Law Quad and the Law Library if you're there. The Michigan Union (across the street) is worth a gander as well.

Living in A2, I can vouch that seeing the Law Quad is a must, especially if our into Architecture.

peter

Was the BBC documentary "Requiem for Detroit"? I remember it well, it also cemented a desire to visit.

Good news - (academic) funding confirmed, so train booked, now for the flights... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back