Detroit Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Will be taking Amtrak from LNK-CHI then the Wolverine to Detroit. (going to the Nebraska vs Michigan game) A friend of my stepson has family that lives in DET and they are going to pick me up at the station. Is this a safe area? I plan to detrain in the mid-afternoon and then leave 2 days later in the early morning to go back to CHI then onward to LNK. Thanks!

Safe as can be, for Detroit!

Nah, it's pretty good, the station has a rent-a-cop, is fenced and well lit, and New Town is OK.

I arrived there last week early in the AM, and had to wait for Enterprise Car Rental to open at 8:00AM. They are just a few blocks away, had I not been laden with luggage, I'd a hoofed it.

If you're going to the Michigan game, you could get off at ARB instead and take a city bus straight to Michigan Stadium. This will also save you from getting stuck in game traffic. The interstate and city streets have significant delays on game day.

If you're staying with that family in Detroit and don't want to get off at ARB, I highly recommend having them pick you up at DER instead. It's not too far away, it's on the way to Ann Arbor, and it's 10x safer than the Detroit station. Detroit isn't *horrible*, but again, I'd rather get off at DER. It's a really nice station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back