Deraiilment in Nebraska

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
6(24) - hit a crane or tractor of some sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the local news, it was CZ #6 which hit a vehicle west of McCook Nebraska. Ambulances are in route to the scene.

also, i immediately called customer service when i read about it on twitter, and they actually hadn't heard about it yet. the CSR thanked me for letting them know.

-hawksley

Reports now indicate both engines, Bag, Trans and first Coach are off the rails but no word on any injuries
I just heard on MSNBC that there were no reported injuries.

so, out of curiosity, what happens?

they move the train off, send a new one to the people waiting, and it continues it's run to chicago?

if i have tickets to board 3am on the 26th (today), and the train is delayed, then derailed, do they just cease operating that run and just wait for the other one to catch up?

The Atlanta Journal Constitution is just now reporting one person was sent to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Passengers are being loaded onto school buses and taken to a local high school, where they will then board chartered bustitutions to their destinations.

Amtrak statement on its Facebook page:

AMTRAK TRAIN COLLIDES WITH NEBRASKA FARM VEHICLE

by Amtrak on Friday, August 26, 2011 at 11:30am

California Zephyr

CHICAGO -- At about 8:50 a.m. CDT, an agricultural vehicle obstructing the BNSF Railway Co., tracks caused an Amtrak train to become disabled near Benkelman, Neb., near the Nebraska-Kansas border.

There were no reports of life-threatening injuries to the estimated 178 passengers or the train’s crew. A small number of passengers have been taken to a local hospital.

Both of the train’s locomotives left the rails, along with three railcars. The remainder of the train remains upright and in line.

Train 6, the eastbound California Zephyr, was enroute from Emeryville, Calif., to Chicago, departing the San Francisco Bay area on August 24. Passengers are being taken from the scene to nearby a high school to be cared for and to be transported east to their destination.

Amtrak managers and representatives of BNSF, the track owner, are enroute to the scene,

We are saddened by any injury and appreciate the emergency response by local and state agencies. We ask the news media to be respectful of our customers, our employees and their families.

Persons with questions about their friends and family aboard this train have a special number to call for information: 800-523-9101.

Here come the buses!

I really want to ride the CZ.

I'm even going to be in Denver sometime in October.

It would be the perfect chance to ride one of the most interesting routes Amtrak has.

But I just can't get over how bad the CZ's timekeeping has become.

And despite everything that has been happening to the CZ the prices are still expensive.

Unless you're willing to do coach.

I really want to ride the CZ.

I'm even going to be in Denver sometime in October.

It would be the perfect chance to ride one of the most interesting routes Amtrak has.

But I just can't get over how bad the CZ's timekeeping has become.

And despite everything that has been happening to the CZ the prices are still expensive.

Unless you're willing to do coach.
Welcome to riding the CZ. It was chronically late in the not-so-distant past.

Look at it this way: The later it runs the lower the cost-per-hour for your sleeper becomes! Just bring some extra foods that you like, and some adult beverages, that you can enjoy in the comfort of your own room. These can supplement the beef stew if it comes down to that. Heck even bring a small bottle of Tabasco Sauce or Texas Pete's to jazz up the stew a bit.

Another item to bring is a good book. I always bring one, but only ever open it if we've been sitting in the same spot for a good while.

Its an adventure, not a timely destination.

just spoke to a CSR about what's going on service-wise

the next 6 going to chicago will not be hitting nebraska until WEDNESDAY. they are suspending service.

the next train headed out of chicago back this way is not showing up until MONDAY. they are suspending service.

i got my ticket completely refunded, and the very competent CSR placed a discounted hold on a ticket for a return back to LNK after i get out to chicago.

sigh! always an adventure with the zephyr :)

Due to be on this train two weeks from today....Who knows what the next two weeks will bring

#5 west on Sunday 4th ..#6 back east on Thursday 8th

Armored trucks, trucks, center-pivot-irrigators, cows, and now a crane!? WHAT NEXT?
Hurricane damage to stations?
That's actually a possibility (think NYP).
excl.gif
ohmy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back