Denver to Glenwood Springs

Discussion in 'Non-Rail Transportation' started by Rail Freak, May 10, 2018.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. May 10, 2018 #1

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Conductor

I'm from Florida & I'd like to fly to Denver & arrive in Glenwood Springs the same day. How can I do this?

2. May 10, 2018 #2

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

I don't believe you could do this on the same date....the first flight from MIA to DEN gets you there too late. Even if you took the first connection from MIA to GJT via DFW, you would only have 18 minutes to get from the flight to the train if they were both on time...I would call that "Mission, Impossible"....

So, unless you want to charter a plane.....figure on spending a night in Denver....or maybe fly to someplace like Omaha, and board the train there in the evening prior...

3. May 10, 2018 #3

jebr

jebr

jebr

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator

"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
    Greyhound bus or rental car would be the only two ways to make it happen, and Greyhound is pretty tight. It looks like there's a direct United flight that leaves at 8:35 AM with a 10:16 AM arrival into Denver. The last Greyhound bus of the day leaves at 12:15, and Google Maps suggests it takes just under an hour to make the connection via transit, or 30-45 minutes to make the drive. If you're checking luggage, that's almost certainly too close for comfort (assuming a half hour to get luggage and get out, you have maybe an hour and a half to make the hour transfer, check into the Greyhound station, and get on the bus.) Even without checking luggage, that doesn't leave a lot of room for error, and the only earlier flights have connections and still only get in an hour earlier.

Unless you'd like to rent a car (which offers enough flexibility that I think a morning flight in would be fine) I'd highly recommend getting in the afternoon before; it'd be a lot less stressful (especially if you have mobility problems that would add additional time into the mix) and almost certainly more relaxing. Get a hotel with an airport shuttle for the night if you're looking to save money; the A Train downtown starts early enough to easily make the train if you're fine with an early morning (getting to the airport by 6:15 AM or so) or would give plenty of cushion for the 12:15 Greyhound schedule.

4. May 10, 2018 #4

KmH

KmH

KmH

Conductor

Can the OP fly out of Tampa Bay, his location?

Spirit has a flight that would get him to Denver airport @ 4:22 am.

A ride on the RTD from the airport to the Amtrak station would let him ride the CZ to Glenwood Springs.

It looks like Greyhound has a daily express bus that leaves Denver for Glenwood Springs at 12:15 pm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2018
  5. May 10, 2018 #5

jebr

jebr

jebr

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator

"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
    I'm not seeing this flight to Denver on Spirit's website when I look through their timetable or on random dates. What dates are you looking at that show that flight?

6. May 10, 2018 #6

KmH

KmH

KmH

Conductor

What date does the OP want to travel and where in Florida does he want to depart from?

Frankly, I have better things to do than scour the Internet doing his travel planning for him.

7. May 10, 2018 #7

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

I can't either...the only flights I see getting into Denver at that hour are "red eye's", from the west coast... [​IMG]

8. May 11, 2018 #8

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Conductor

By all means, move on to better things! DIdn't intend on interfering with those too busy to waste their time on forums such as AU! [​IMG]

9. May 11, 2018 #9

Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Conductor

That's not an express bus, that's the New York City - Los Angeles Schedule 1683 (does not go via Chicago since Greyhound discontinued Omaha). I sort of knew the Denver - Green River driver on that one.

If I were you, I'd just fly straight to ASE or EGE on AA via DFW.

10. May 11, 2018 #10

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Conductor

Thanx, I just thought someone local may have a tip!

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018