DEA asset seizure on SWC ($16,000)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, debit cards are something nobody should ever have in the US. (They're OK in Europe because of stronger consumer protection laws.)
Basically, if your account is cleaned out using a stolen debit card number, you are SOL in the US during the entire investigation; they aren't required to return your money during the course of the investigation. With credit cards, of course, you just refuse to pay the fraudulent bills.
In my case the convenience has outweighed the risk. But you seem to be saying that a stolen (much more likely lost in my case) debit car can be used without the pin. A little research found that many merchants do not require a PIN or signature for Visa (my) Debit card transactions under $25.

It does appear that:

If your Visa Debit card is lost or stolen and fraudulent activity occurs, you are protected by Visa's Zero Liability policy.* That means 100 percent protection for you. Whether purchases occur online or off, you pay nothing for fraudulent activity.
I'm sure there are some ifs, ands, and buts here; but it is a risk I'm prepared to take, especially given it is precisely when I'm traveling that I am more likely to notice a missing card, and thus notify the bank.

In any event, I don't keep my whole net worth in a single bank and if it were to take some time for funds to be replaced, I could live with it.

I agree that large banks make use the mathematical principal that you maximize profit by maximizing risk, especially when you can lay the risk off on someone else. But I've never been abused by a local bank.

Gov. Martinez of New Mexico recently signed legislation barring Civil Asset Forfeiture in the state of New Mexico.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/10/new-mexico-civil-asset-forfeiture_n_7042534.html

Unfortunately, it won't stop federal agencies like the DEA from harassing folks on interstate transit such as Amtrak. But maybe this is the catalyst to spur further legislation. Civil Asset Forfeiture laws must go!.
*Like* Now if she'd only see the Light about the benefit if rail to her State! ( Rail Runner and the SWC plus trains to/from Denver!!)

Gov. Martinez of New Mexico recently signed legislation barring Civil Asset Forfeiture in the state of New Mexico.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/10/new-mexico-civil-asset-forfeiture_n_7042534.html

Unfortunately, it won't stop federal agencies like the DEA from harassing folks on interstate transit such as Amtrak. But maybe this is the catalyst to spur further legislation. Civil Asset Forfeiture laws must go!.
*Like* Now if she'd only see the Light about the benefit if rail to her State! ( Rail Runner and the SWC plus trains to/from Denver!!)
*Ahem* Sunset Limited... but yes, otherwise agree completely, as a New Mexican.

Excellent, good find Ryan!!
We need more of this in the media and citizens letting their government reps know that the corrupt LE Cartels need to be reigned in!

The so called Patriot Act is up for renewal, let your Reps and Senators ( and the White House!) know we don't need this piece of crap renewed! Worst act of Congress since they authorized the phoney "War on Drugs!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Several posts in this thread and responses thereto have been temporarily hidden pending admin review. Thank you for continuing to keep your posts on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back