CZ westbound Consist layout help.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking the California Zephyr westbound in two weeks. This is a planned photography out the window trip. I'm in car 532. I understand this is two from the dining car from reading the forums, but what I can't find is what is the current consist layout for westbound. I've found listings from wayback 5+ years ago that list sleepers in the front, and within the last 5 years listings that show sleepers in front or back depending on what forum you're reading. Can someone give some insight on current consist layout and if sleepers are in front or rear currently??

Thanks!!!

Most "normal" current consist (front to rear) is: 1-Baggage, 1-Transition/Dorm (also used as a Roomette only Sleeper as needed), 2 or 3-Sleepers, 1-Lounge (Sightseer), 1-Dining, 2 or 3 Coaches.

Occasionally, the Lounge is substituted with a Diner but rarely. The Transition/Dorm when used for maybe 2-3 of the revenue Roomettes is a great. Did one Fort Morgan to Emeryville and it is quiet. Very little foot traffic except at shift changes for the Dining and Lounge car crew. Also, the lower level is the working "office" for the Conductor/Asst. Conductor and they are usually open to conversation with you. Now the car I was in was a bit worn but every still functioned as it was supposed to. There were three other revenue customers in two other room besides myself. Rest was on-board personnel. I really enjoyed it.

Back