CZ Galesburg Drug Busts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
Two drug busts on the same train, same day.

"According to a report, officers approached Warner while he was smoking outside during a stop after discovering he was traveling from Denver to Naperville on a recently purchased one-way ticket paid for in cash."

Read more: http://www.galesburg.com/article/20140207/News/140209720#ixzz2tb5SwMoQ

How would the GPD know who these people were, where they were coming from and how they paid for their ticket? My read is that they knew who these people were before approaching them and asking questions. Does Amtrak provide this information upon request, is a search warrant needed?

Paying Cash for One way tickets is an Automatic Flag for Homeland Security and LE Agencies Everywhere! And Amtrak has Seen and "Unseen" Security Procedures, including Co-operation with other Government Agencies! Also lots of times other Members of Criminal Operations (Drug Smuggling via Train is a Huge Business!) "Snitch out" Mules so the GPD probably did have Advance Notice to Question these Guys! Curious that the Colorado Guy was allowed to Return Home while the Florida Guy was not! Guess the New Pot Law in Colorado (and other States) does make a Difference! :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
The station agents on the first few stops in California are very alert for this and will rat out anything they think looks suspicious. A phone is picked up, a call is made, usually to Reno and someone's ride often gets cut short with a trip to the Crossbar Hilton.

Paying Cash for One way tickets is an Automatic Flag for Homeland Security and LE Agencies Everywhere! And Amtrak has Seen and "Unseen" Security Procedures, including Co-operation with other Government Agencies! Also lots of times other Members of Criminal Operations (Drug Smuggling via Train is a Huge Business!) "Snitch out" Mules so the GPD probably did have Advance Notice to Question these Guys! Curious that the Colorado Guy was allowed to Return Home while the Florida Guy was not! Guess the New Pot Law in Colorado (and other States) does make a Difference! :huh:
The guy that they kept had prior felony drug convictions is likely the reason.

Thanks to you, and to OH, for your insight. I was trying to find the motivation for Amtrak passing along suspicious travel information, as in why would they care, but the spirit of cooperation and making their trains safer would be enough in my opinion.

Seriously, it's time to legalize all these drugs so as to remove the excuses that "law enforcement" is using for snooping.

I'd never touch any of the drugs myself, but it's no skin off my back if other people do. Legalize them. (Continue to prohibit public intoxication.)

Seriously, it's time to legalize all these drugs so as to remove the excuses that "law enforcement" is using for snooping.

I'd never touch any of the drugs myself, but it's no skin off my back if other people do. Legalize them. (Continue to prohibit public intoxication.)
Ditto! (with the Disclaimer that Pot is not a Drug but an Herb!) Prohibition has Never Worked whether it was for Alcohol,Racial Seperation,Gambling, Sex, Religion , Drugs etc. ;) We spend Billions on Phoney Wars on Vice and the Crime Syndicates, (now called Cartels) , Prison Industry and Corrupt Government Officials get Rich and the Beat Goes on!

I do think that someone who is Driving under the Influence of Drugs, just like with Alcohol, should go to Jail and loose their Driving Privileges! Also Street Sellers (and their Distributers) should be considered Criminals because they are!

Maybe its time for these 30 somethings to find a real job and stop polluting the country with illegal drugs. Lock em up and throw away the key :p
When recreational drugs start ending up in our air and water supplies like hundreds of other harmful but largely unregulated chemicals maybe you'll have a point.

Ditto! (with the Disclaimer that Pot is not a Drug but an Herb!) Prohibition has Never Worked whether it was for Alcohol,Racial Seperation,Gambling, Sex, Religion , Drugs etc. ;) We spend Billions on Phoney Wars on Vice and the Crime Syndicates, (now called Cartels) , Prison Industry and Corrupt Government Officials get Rich and the Beat Goes on!

I do think that someone who is Driving under the Influence of Drugs, just like with Alcohol, should go to Jail and loose their Driving Privileges! Also Street Sellers (and their Distributers) should be considered Criminals because they are!
In Oregon, as most states, its DUII --- Driving Under Influence of Intoxicants. Alcohol, recreational drugs, prescription drugs (lots of people legitimatly using prescribed opiates for severe pain relief), even some over the counter stuff (too much decongestant for example) can cause imparement and result in a DUII. Which in turn is a big rational for keeping public transportation options... understanding the impaired and convicted my have that as their only option.

What LAME excuses to legalize drugs! Make them legal and it makes the most innocent of our nation suceptible to horrible addictions and reactions. There are those who can hold their liquor and be responsible with it and those who can't. Hard drugs merely amplify what's already destructive in our society. Those who are going to use it are going to anyway is a fine rationalization. What people don't seem to get is that when it's legal, MANY more people are now going to try it.

For crying out loud, we're trying to ban cigarettes in every walk of life in the USA and trying to legalize cocaine and heroine? What's wrong with this picture?

The Amtrak reservation system automatically flags certain factors, even as the reservation is being made. There are a number of indicators that are used. Some of them have been raised here, but improperly attributed. I personally don't think I should disclose more of their indicators here as it is a public forum. I know much more and can cite incidents that I have knowledge of. (For those of you that do not know Mrs. Oldtimer worked at the now defunct Chicago reservation office for almost 25 years.)

The Amtrak reservation system automatically flags certain factors, even as the reservation is being made. There are a number of indicators that are used. Some of them have been raised here, but improperly attributed. I personally don't think I should disclose more of their indicators here as it is a public forum. I know much more and can cite incidents that I have knowledge of. (For those of you that do not know Mrs. Oldtimer worked at the now defunct Chicago reservation office for almost 25 years.)
No, indeed you should not disclose anything else as doing so would indicate a dangerous level of consciousness and a proclivity toward independent thought. Privacy must be protected, but only when it applies to those who desire to monitor and report on everyone else.

What LAME excuses to legalize drugs! Make them legal and it makes the most innocent of our nation suceptible to horrible addictions and reactions. There are those who can hold their liquor and be responsible with it and those who can't. Hard drugs merely amplify what's already destructive in our society. Those who are going to use it are going to anyway is a fine rationalization. What people don't seem to get is that when it's legal, MANY more people are now going to try it.
Not true. Prohibition failed in the 20s. It's failing again.

Turns out making recreational drugs illegal just makes them more attractive. :-( Binge drinking at colleges went way UP when the drinking age was raised.

Legalize the drugs, but run publicity campaigns to make it seem uncool to use them, and suppress the attempts by the manufacturers to advertise them as cool. This seems like the best option; it's the only thing which has ever worked with tobacco (one of the nastiest drugs out there) or alcohol (another of the nastiest drugs out there).

I'd advise disclosing all of them. It's completely inappropriate, and actually illegal, for the reservation system to be flagging anything to the police, unless (for example) the money you're paying for the ticket is no good.

For crying out loud, we're trying to ban cigarettes in every walk of life in the USA and trying to legalize cocaine and heroine? What's wrong with this picture?
Nothing!

Cocaine and heroin are less harmful than cigarettes, for the most part!

Nobody's trying to ban cigarettes, anyway -- people are just trying to ban secondhand smoke. I wouldn't appreciate someone else injecting me with cocaine or heroin against my will.

Nothing!

Cocaine and heroin are less harmful than cigarettes, for the most part!

Nobody's trying to ban cigarettes, anyway -- people are just trying to ban secondhand smoke. I wouldn't appreciate someone else injecting me with cocaine or heroin against my will.
What a ridiculous statement. Heroin is killing people left and right in this country and has become a serious addiction problem again. Treatment is a key to helping those who are addicted. But those who sell heroin should be taken out in a field and shot.

Secondary smoke is the main issue with cigarettes. Research shows that this harms people who are in the area not smoking. I don't know what the research says about secondary marijuana smoke. I assume there are issues there too.

Cocaine and heroin theoretically don't affect people in the area the same as secondary smoke.

IMHO if you legalize some of this stuff you cut out the criminal element. Then the government could tax it and control the distribution. IMHO the crimes associated with drug dealmg is worse than the drugs themselves.

Secondary smoke is the main issue with cigarettes. Research shows that this harms people who are in the area not smoking. I don't know what the research says about secondary marijuana smoke. I assume there are issues there too.
It certainly gives you a mighty headache. Man, I lived in university dorms in Long Island in the 70's. I know! :)

There certainly are. Smoking marijuana in public should be banned, just like smoking tobacco in public should be -- keep it to your private house. Of course, tobacco addicts are often *SO SEVERELY ADDICTED* that they can't wait until they get home for their next "hit", which creates problems. Many people addicted to other drugs can wait 'till evening for their next hit.
Nicotine is almost as addictive as heroin, and much more addictive than cocaine. Just for reference! People's assumptions about this stuff, based on decades of *selective* scaremongering by the Drug Enforcement Administration (which has often been headed by alcohol and tobacco addicts) are just wrong. Tobacco, being an assortment of highly effective insect poisons (very few insects eat the tobacco plant), is extra-specially nasty, although purified nicotine by itself isn't too bad. (So addicts really should switch to the patch or the gum.)

Fact is, I'm a teetotaler, I stay away from recreational drugs stronger than sugar, and I would probably have been a supporter of Prohibition back in the 1890s. But *we already tried Prohibition in the 1920s and it backfired*. We tried Prohibiting one of the worst, nastiest, most awful drugs on the market -- alcohol, which induces violent, criminal rages in a significant fraction of the population -- and Prohibition just didn't work, and it created powerful crime syndicates.

We've now repeated this with marijuana. Pretty much anyone can get marijuana (just like anyone could get alcohol in the 1920s), it's funding giant crime syndicates, and it's giving the police an excuse for selective enforcement, constitutional violations, and general abusive behavior.

If we legalize marijuana but not other popular drugs, however, we'll just go through the same wasteful Prohibition cycle again with the next drug...

We need to stop repeating the mistakes of the past and try something which has a chance of actually reducing addiction and abuse rates. I personally think it would be ideal to legalize the drugs, tax them, and ban advertising completely -- but apparently current interpretations of the First Amendment make the advertising ban hard to do in the US.

IMHO if you legalize some of this stuff you cut out the criminal element. Then the government could tax it and control the distribution. IMHO the crimes associated with drug dealmg is worse than the drugs themselves.
Indeed, the prohibition black market provides tremendous opportunities for violent criminals to move in on the market and profit. Just like it did for Al Capone. (The opportunities for corruption are also massive. There have actually been persistent stories about DEA officers being involved with drug smuggling rings.) Bring it all into the sunlight and it becomes possible to stamp out the worst "associated behavior".
As for the smaller-scale problems of drug addicts robbing people to feed their habit, alcohol and tobacco addicts have been known to do this too -- occasionally people even steal money for coffee -- and those drugs are still legal.

There have been "drug busts" my entire life and as far as I can tell the drugs are more common than they were when I was a kid. It's not working.

Marijuana doesn't create addiction itself, like nicotine does; it's more of a psychological addiction.

Still, I agree it shouldn't be smoked in public, simply for the smoke itself. Like with cigarette smoke, I don't want to smell bad when I show up somewhere. Some marijuana smells like skunks. Also, the smoke can bother people.

(Oh, how I wish they'd outlaw perfume for the same reason. ;) )

Anyway, I have absolutely zero issues with the drug itself. I am in full support of it being regulated and taxed like cigarettes and alcohol. I just think a ban on smoking should extend to that, should they ever legalize it nationwide. Marijuana can be consumed in other ways, like baked goods and candy bars, so it shouldn't be an issue for most people who want to relax on the train.

With the OUI laws in place, shrieking about stoned drivers is a red herring. There are people out there driving around drunk and/or stoned on prescription medication. Not that that's right, but some of the anti-marijuana crowd seems to believe legalizing it is akin to giving everyone a free pass to get high and get on the interstate. That is not true. Those who are responsible will not drive after getting high, just as those of us who are responsible give the keys to someone else or call a cab after having a couple/few drinks.

I sit here breathing through a trachea tube surviving cancer twice thanks to two radical head and neck surgeries. Chemo messed up my hearing so I am literally deaf, and the rad scars are never going to heal. Thirty years of two packs a day are the prime suspect. At least my daughter quit smoking.

I almost have almost twenty years of sobriety, and I think I can speak to alcohol addiction - a lot easier to quit than smoking but I have to give AA a lot of credit for teaching me a new way of living. However, hardly a day passes i don't desire a Budweiser.

Having said this I find it impossible to support abusing anything, however these are my problems. I can support the decriminalization of marijuana but in the same vein think the penalties for operating the influence of anything need to be much more severe. Sit at home and enjoy whatever you like but don't endanger me or my kids or my grand kids by getting behind a couple of tons of metal.

I also believe we could do a lot more to help those who need to recover - sending folks to mandatory AA meetings after their first DUI is a joke - you can't give someone something they don't want. Rather like trying to make Iraq a democracy but that's not the only bad idea - wait I need to leave politics out of this.

I am no fan of Jane Austen but there is something to be said for sense, and sensibility. Often not part of our vocabulary.

Having said this I find it impossible to support abusing anything, however these are my problems. I can support the decriminalization of marijuana but in the same vein think the penalties for operating the influence of anything need to be much more severe. Sit at home and enjoy whatever you like but don't endanger me or my kids or my grand kids by getting behind a couple of tons of metal.
I have to agree with you 100%.

I also believe we could do a lot more to help those who need to recover
Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back