Cruising (Ocean and River)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a tip to anyone considering a Panama Canal transit...try to choose a ship that has a nice air-conditioned, forward observation lounge, and then get a good seat there early...

It gets awful hot being outside all those hours, otherwise.... ;)

I did it back in 2001 aboard the HAL Ryndam...it was a superb ship for that experience....

Just a tip to anyone considering a Panama Canal transit...try to choose a ship that has a nice air-conditioned, forward observation lounge, and then get a good seat there early...

It gets awful hot being outside all those hours, otherwise.... ;)

I did it back in 2001 aboard the HAL Ryndam...it was a superb ship for that experience....
Yeah, I recommend that you NOT make the transit on the 08 level of a battleship with a breeze from dead astern blowing the stack gas directly your way. Great view, but....

Because the new locks allow passage of larger ships, the Bayonne Bridge (steel arch) had its roadway deck raised 60' and the channel was dredged deeper so the "New Panamax" ships can make Newark/Elizabeth. Cool project.

That is a nice story, and he is not alone...I have sailed on several ship's where elderly people 'live' aboard, and his situation does indeed have some benefits, as opposed to living in an assisted living or nursing home.   But it does have drawbacks, as well. 

Unless you have a spouse, or life partner living with you, it can get pretty lonely.   You just get friendly with people, but soon, they are disembarking, and you have to tell your life story, again and again to new shipmates.   True, the crew does stay on board for months at a time, but your relationship with them is not truly as 'friends'...it is a different dynamic, as they are in effect your employees.

I might consider spending maybe up to a half of my year on various cruise ships, but I want to enjoy being on land the other half, as well.

Also, most pricing is based on 2 in a cabin, and there are not that many opportunities for singles to avoid paying double. There are a few ships (notably Norwegian) that are adding "singles" rooms, and a few lines where the single supplement is not 100%, but not that many.....

Unless you have a spouse, or life partner living with you, it can get pretty lonely.   You just get friendly with people, but soon, they are disembarking, and you have to tell your life story, again and again to new shipmates.   True, the crew does stay on board for months at a time, but your relationship with them is not truly as 'friends'...it is a different dynamic, as they are in effect your employees.
Good points all around, but even if you had a spouse come along you'd still be repeating the same story over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t know that cruise ships or ocean liners ever needed tugboats to get in and out of dock. Is that (or was that) common?

In the era pre side thrusters and azipods most definitely.. now, in Manhattan they usually stand by, but in some places they still assist... immediately after berthing either a powered barge or a tug moved barge is brought alongside to start fueling. They leave the same day they arrive now, they don't waste time...
Even with all that advanced technology, docking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is especially challenging during certain tidal, current, or wind condition's.   Recall the recent accident the brand new Carnival Horizon had when docking and striking Pier 90, causing some structural damage to the pier, and cosmetic damage to the ship....

When condition's warrant it, the pilot will order tug assistance from one or more tugs.   

While the new ships are more maneuverable than the old liner's, the old liners were more stable, with deeper draft, and less air draft...

Exactly, they are there and ready (standing by) if they are needed. People often forget that the lower Hudson, and the East River are actually tidal estuary and their currents change direction and speed with the tides.

What is especially challenging is making the sharp turn into the finger piers, in the changing wind condition's, and then when part of the ship is in the slack waters protected by the pier, and the rest of the ship is still out in the current...not as simple to dock as one may think...

Bet our ex-Navy Officer Ryan can really relate to this! 

As a young Seaman I remember a New Ensign( call him Ensign Pulver) docking  our Ship hard against the  Landing @ the Foot of Broadway in San Diego.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back