Cross Country Trip Suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the next two years I am planning a two-way west coast trip. As someone who has a fear of flying, this is a great opportunity for me to explore the west coast. I think I have decided on taking the CZ one way and the EB the other. My main question is which direction should I take each train to get the best experience? San Francisco and Seattle are the areas I most want to explore - I may use the Coast Starlight to get from one city to the other while I am out there but I may also do a one way rental car depending on what I want to see. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My origination point is Springfield MA so I will probably take the LSL to get to and from Chicago - planning on an overnight stay in CHI both ways to avoid missed connection issues.

As far as the CZ, the most scenic areas in CO, NV and CA are all in daylight both ways. The EB depends on what you want to see. Eastbound, WA is in the dark but the Glacier Park area is in daylight. Westbound, the Glacier Park area is in the dark but WA is in daylight.

I think you should take the EB out and the CZ back. I think most people would agree that the CZ has the best scenery, and I always like to have the best part of my trips at the end. As was said, for the most part, the views on the CZ are equally good in either direction, and with the EB, it just comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
To have best chance of Glacier National Park scenery in daylight, I would suggest CZ out and EB back.

Another option would be: West on the Zephyr,after exploring Seattle, take the CS (or Cascades) down to Portland & take the #28 EB up the Columbia River Gorge going back!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back