Cross country - Sacramento, CA to Brunswick, ME!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how would you say the food on the LSL compares to that of the CZ?
To be honest, I preferred the food on the LSL. While it may have been prepared in advance it was excellent with clean, crisp flavors. It was nice having a hot breakfast on the Zephyr but it was a sad little pile of scrambled eggs.

Food though...?
Both the Acela and Downeaster have little snack cars. S had a microwaved frozen pizza on the Acela. I brought my own so I could have a gf croissant and later a sandwich.

There’s bagged popcorn on the Downeaster which is intriguing. Apparently popcorn is s big deal east of the Mississippi. Maybe someone can tell us why?

The snacks look good but I’m still trying to get rid of our carry on snacks. We’re taking less with us on the return.

Why would they be searching for Canadians in particular? That would make sense on the Adirondack or Maple Leaf, but the LSL stays in the U.S. the whole way.
We were very unclear on why CBP was at the station or on the train at all. It seemed ridiculous to us as there are any number of international visitors traveling by rail in the US at any given time.

Did they think anyone would be swimming across the border and sneaking on a train?

I’ll be interested to see if they show up in Maine or in the way back to California. I know they didn’t talk to our German or British travelers.

There’s bagged popcorn on the Downeaster which is intriguing. Apparently popcorn is s big deal east of the Mississippi. Maybe someone can tell us why?
The Downeaster has popcorn because it's a state funded route which sources its cafe car fare from local New England based suppliers and manufacturers. I honestly don't really think of popcorn being a particularly big deal around here, so were you just hypothesizing that it was because the Downeaster sells it? Because the in the cafe car on one route isn't really a great test pool...

The Downeaster has popcorn because it's a state funded route which sources its cafe car fare from local New England based suppliers and manufacturers. I honestly don't really think of popcorn being a particularly big deal around here, so were you just hypothesizing that it was because the Downeaster sells it? Because the in the cafe car on one route isn't really a great test pool...
Ah, thank you. Well, we saw popcorn starting to show up as a thing when we got to Chicago. Popcorn stores, huge selections of popcorn everywhere. We thought maybe it was a thing.

Ah, thank you. Well, we saw popcorn starting to show up as a thing when we got to Chicago. Popcorn stores, huge selections of popcorn everywhere. We thought maybe it was a thing.
Well, Garrett Popcorn is Chicago-based flavored popcorn manufacturer and they have A LOT of stores there, which is probably what you were seeing. They have locations all over the country, but they are near everywhere in Chicago.

Tip: Next time you're in Chicago, get a bag of both CaramelCrisp and CheeseCorn. You won't be disappointed.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
More adventures!

We’re in Wells MA, apparently there’s a freighter north of us which dead in the water waiting for a part. There’s a SB Downeaster stuck at Saco so they’re going to bus those folks to us and us to them so we swap trains in order to get back on the road. IMG_0405.JPG

More adventures!

We’re in Wells MA, apparently there’s a freighter north of us which dead in the water waiting for a part. There’s a SB Downeaster stuck at Saco so they’re going to bus those folks to us and us to them so we swap trains in order to get back on the road.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0405.JPG
I'm actually pretty jealous right now. When my dad and I took the Downeaster from Boston to Portland and back last month when the Great Dome car was on it, we had a great time, and now I really miss it (both the train and Portland itself).
default_sad.png

Well, Garrett Popcorn is Chicago-based flavored popcorn manufacturer and they have A LOT of stores there, which is probably what you were seeing. They have locations all over the country, but they are near everywhere in Chicago.

Tip: Next time you're in Chicago, get a bag of both CaramelCrisp and CheeseCorn. You won't be disappointed.
default_wink.png
Ah, well, perhaps not all over. Not seeing any on the west coast. Vegas looks like the closest to us.

The popcorn on the train was all Maine local. I think we may have had a popcorn thing going for a while but it didn’t stick for us.

I'm actually pretty jealous right now. When my dad and I took the Downeaster from Boston to Portland and back last month when the Great Dome car was on it, we had a great time, and now I really miss it (both the train and Portland itself).
default_sad.png
[emoji23] yeah, jealous is a funny sentiment for hanging about, cramming into a bus, and reboarding.

But, we are back in a train and on the way.

default_sad.png
[emoji23] yeah, jealous is a funny sentiment for hanging about, cramming into a bus, and reboarding.

But, we are back in a train and on the way.
Considering you've been delayed and bussed, I highly recommend calling Customer Relations after this trip for compensation. I've found them to be incredibly fair and helpful when stuff like this has happened to me.
default_smile.png

Considering you've been delayed and bussed, I highly recommend calling Customer Relations after this trip for compensation. I've found them to be incredibly fair and helpful when stuff like this has happened to me.
default_smile.png
The state of Maine compensates by giving one-way passes good for three months. We gave ours to a couple of students who travel between Boston and Brunswick three times a week.

S really likes your idea so we will be speaking with customer relations. The bus trip was on a city bus so there was no luggage storage and we schlepped our bags ourselves.

We packed for two weeks, meaning we have bags. Because there was no storage it also meant we had to drag bags on the bus and sit with them.

It’s funny on the short legs the amazement of train staff that we have luggage.

Back