Crew Base locations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I am wondering if there is a comprehensive list of amtrak crew bases in North America. My husband is a current employee and I am in the process of applying to PhD programs and am trying to make sure that crew bases are located near the schools which I am applying.

Thank you for your help!

~mjwo

Hi! I am wondering if there is a comprehensive list of amtrak crew bases in North America. My husband is a current employee and I am in the process of applying to PhD programs and am trying to make sure that crew bases are located near the schools which I am applying.
Thank you for your help!

~mjwoamtrak
Welcome - I'm going to move this over to the main forum where more folks will see it and respond.

Thank you for your help!

~mjwo
Doesn't your husband have the ability to find that out through the employee's website?

Is your husband an OBS employee? :huh: They stay with the train from beginning to end before they turn around and return home. So look at the end points of the routes.

I really don't know for certain, but I would guess NY, CHI and LA for sure.

Thank you for your help!

~mjwo
Is your husband a operating crew or service crew? That would help us know. Service employees have few bases. They are LAX, Seattle, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, Washington, Boston, and Miami.

Operating crew has those plus many others.

Service employees have few bases. They are LAX, Seattle, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, Washington, Boston, and Miami.

I thought Oakland/Emeryville was a base. Is it not?

Service employees have few bases. They are LAX, Seattle, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, Washington, Boston, and Miami.

I thought Oakland/Emeryville was a base. Is it not?
I'm sure it is. I probably left out a couple. Fort Worth has a small base for the Heartland Flyer too.

Hi,

My husband is a conductor on Amtrak, and we are thinking of re-locating. However, he is having a hard time getting a comprehensive list of crew bases and where he can work. He has asked his supervisor and his union rep., but no one seems to know where to refer him. Is there a web site or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

My husband is a conductor on Amtrak, and we are thinking of re-locating. However, he is having a hard time getting a comprehensive list of crew bases and where he can work. He has asked his supervisor and his union rep., but no one seems to know where to refer him. Is there a web site or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sometimes he will be moved throughout the nation. But there will be a base. Where was the city listed that he applied to?? i.e. Omaha, NE, Chicago, IL, New York, NY, Boston, MA, Or Washington, DC. Remember crews must live within I believe 90 minutes of the base. So I would factor in weather conditions your city might incur such as snowstorms. But typically the crew base is the city listed on the Application.

Hi,

Thanks
I guess the best way we can respond is for people to chime in with what they know. I know on the Starlight route, there are bases at LA (although the Starlight conductors are crewed out of SLO, IIRC), SLO, Sacramento, Portland and Seattle. Klamath Falls is just a turnaround for Sac and Portland based crews. Seattle also bases the Seattle Builder crews and Cascades crews.

SWC is LA, Albuquerque, Kansas City. Don't think La Junta is a crew base, but a turnaround for Albuquerque and KC crews and I know Kingman is just a turnaround for the LA and Albuquerque based crews. I think there is a crew change at Ft. Madison, but I think that is just a turnaround point too.

Note that LA has the Pacific Surfliners as well as the LDs, and Metrolink commuter trains are now contracted with Amtrak and have Amtrak crews.

Not too sure about the Builder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell your husband to have his T&E Clerk give him a copy of that week's job bulletins. It has every crew base in the country listed inside.

NOTE - THIS IS A 6 MONTH OLD TOPIC

Sorry to say but San Jose is not a crew base. That is a layover point for Sac Crew base. San Jose use to be advertised as a crew base but it is actually Caltrain and you report in SFO even though SJC is listed as the base.

Last edited:

Sorry to say but San Jose is not a crew base. That is a layover point for Sac Crew base. San Jose use to be advertised as a crew base but it is actually Caltrain and you report in SFO even though SJC is listed as the base.
. Is Oakland a seperate crew base? Or is it under SFO too? So it doesn't matter if you start in SKC or OAK, you're technically based in SFO?

. Is Oakland a seperate crew base? Or is it under SFO too? So it doesn't matter if you start in SKC or OAK, you're technically based in SFO?
OKJ has no Caltrain service, so it would not be listed at all.

On the Empire Builder, Shelby, MT and St. Cloud, MN are T&E crew bases. Spokane, WA is an engineer only crew base.

After reading that F&B report from the hearing this past August... there is a lot of pressure on Amtrak to cut costs. It is a business and is being pressured to run more like one. Given the changes with state railway funding more scenarios like that may become more common to help contain costs. I'd rather contain costs than increase costs and have layoffs or service reductions.

It would seem to me that as an employee, that information would be readily available.

There is a big difference between crew bases for operating crews (engineer, conductor) vs service crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back