Crescent #20 meal schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisInGeorgia

Train Attendant
I read a report that I can't find any more that told of a very early last-call time for lunch on The Crescent #20 northbound. This was supposedly so they could get the diner/kitchen secured before arriving at Penn Station. Can anyone familiar with this train share the diner serving times for definite?

I read a report that I can't find any more that told of a very early last-call time for lunch on The Crescent #20 northbound. This was supposedly so they could get the diner/kitchen secured before arriving at Penn Station. Can anyone familiar with this train share the diner serving times for definite?
I know that lunch is early if the train is on time, but not sure if,possibly, 11 a.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that lunch is early if the train is on time, but not sure if,possibly, 11 a.m.
I've often eaten lunch between Baltimore and Wilmington going northbound, if that helps.

Thats one of the problems with the Crescent and many other Amtrak diners~ there are no set times for meals. Amtrak puts out a blog that goes something like this; "Diners will provide meal service appropriate to the operating conditions of the individual train." Believe me, that gives the crew carte blanche as to what time they open and close. And yes, lunch is around 11-11:30am. I can't blame the diner crew because this is their last meal before going home and Amtrak seems to be comfortable with it. My only observation is the crew sits around after lunch for at least an hour before arriving at NYP; perhaps lunch could be moved up a bit time wise?

On the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to New York Penn, a long lunch (12:00 noon to 3:30pm) is offered before arrival into Albany. They tell you there will be no dining service after Albany. I think it is because the dining crew clean the car and equipment prior to arrival at NYP.

I was on a trip where we were given a box meal because the diner was closed.

This is really depends more on how the train is running and not a specific location. #20 is regularly early into NYP, sometimes as much as 90 minutes early. So the best thing to do is get in and seated as close as you can to WAS, after Baltimore I'd say you're really cutting it close, and after Philadelphia you have almost no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back