Coupon question...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
My wife and I some coupons from Amtrak. Can we use more than one coupon per ticket. For example...10% off price, plus companion ticket, plus upgrade on both. Are the coupons that expire 2/29/2016 valid for March 2016 travel if the tickets are purchased, using the coupons, prior to expiration. If you know the answer...Thank you.

I don't know. I thought they would not combine anything, but found out I was wrong. Last time I spoke to an agent I found out are more liberal than I thought.

In fact, one time I was wrong: We had a companion ticket for a free fare, and then later wanted to upgrade with a free upgrade coupon. They said sure, no problem! Doesn't matter how you obtained the original ticket before upgrade. So there's one answer for you (although I can't guarantee it in your situation.)

Best advice to you: Pick up the phone and ask an agent the same questions. They are very helpful and knowledgeable and clear up my questions right away.

I would expect the expiration date to be related to when you make the reservation, not to when you travel.

In other words, as long as you make your reservations on or before 2/29/16.

At any rate asking Amtrak directly, online (Ask Julie) or by phone would likely get you a definitive answer.

Yes, any coupon used must be redeemed by 2/29/16. (It could be for a reservation in June or October.) The only exception would be if you have something like a "12 hour upgrade" coupon, unless your October trip takes place within 12 hours of 2/29/16!

Yes, any coupon used must be redeemed by 2/29/16. (It could be for a reservation in June or October.) The only exception would be if you have something like a "12 hour upgrade" coupon, unless your October trip takes place within 12 hours of 2/29/16!
That's worth stressing: regardless of any other conditions, the One Class Upgrade coupon can only be applied twelve hours prior to departure. So the actual departure would have to occur on or before the coupon expiration date.

When in doubt, always call and ask. I've found that, as people say, the agents may have some latitude here and there.

This is really splitting a hair, but I had an upgrade code and it was for 12 hours ahead. So with my departure at 7AM the next morning and return at 6PM the next evening, I waited till after 7PM the night before departure and called to use the code. The agent asked me which leg I'd like the upgrade for. I didn't know I could use it for the return, that far ahead of time.

Maybe when they say within 12 hours, they mean before the entire trip starts, not that particular leg. What I learned from it is to always call and ask - you never know what you might get. Worst case, you just learn what they won't do for you, but we're talking about freebies anyway, in most cases.

Back