Cost of Train Ticket From New Orleans to San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Fan_Trains_*

My Stepfather and are Going to San Antonio Next Year for the VFW Convention. So I was wondering what is the cost of a Round Trip Train Ticket From New Orleans to San Antonio? And How long it would Take?

Hop onto Amtrak.com and you'll find a reservations page where you can enter various travel dates and see exactly what is available. Then when you find suitable dates, you can complete your res in a couple minutes. If you chose to have your tickets mailed, they should arrive in 2-3 days, or you can elect to pick them up at the station.

The train leaves New Orleans 3 days a week at 11:55 AM, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The scheduled arrival is 3:00 AM the following morning. Usually though, if the train is on time it will arrive as early as 2 AM. So not an ideal time, but doable. There are hotels right across the street from the station in San Antonio though.

Coming back, the train leaves SA at 1:00 AM on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. You'll arrive those same days in New Orleans at 4:00 PM.

As far as price, well that can vary on when you make your reservation and when you travel. The closer you wait till you're travel date, the higher the price will go. For example if you went tomorrow, you'd have to pay $84 one way per person. But plan ahead and I'm seeing prices for $67. Seniors can get a discount or you can get a AAA discount. So get on Amtrak.com and put in some sample dates to see what you get.

My Stepfather and are Going to San Antonio Next Year for the VFW Convention. So I was wondering what is the cost of a Round Trip Train Ticket From New Orleans to San Antonio? And How long it would Take?
Next year the schedule could be very different as Amtrak plans to replace the Sunset east of San Antonio with daily coach only trains and run the Eagle through from Chicago-San Antonio-LA daily. The timing would be an 8am departure from either end with around a 10pm arrival at the other end. So when you get close to the time you plan to make the trip, like within a month or so be sure and check with Amtrak as to the schedule as it could be drastically different.

Next year the schedule could be very different as Amtrak plans to replace the Sunset east of San Antonio with daily coach only trains and run the Eagle through from Chicago-San Antonio-LA daily. The timing would be an 8am departure from either end with around a 10pm arrival at the other end. So when you get close to the time you plan to make the trip, like within a month or so be sure and check with Amtrak as to the schedule as it could be drastically different.
I understand the schedule will be very different Next Year as the Sunset Limited east of San Antonio with a Daily coach only traqins. so I a Question, is there a another way of going to San Antonio round Trip from New Orleans, Like going from New Orleans to Chicago,and from Chicago to San Antonio, and Coming Back the Same Way? and What is the Price of Round Trip Ticket From New Orleans to Chicago and From Chicago to San Antonio? and How long it would Take?

I understand the schedule will be very different Next Year as the Sunset Limited east of San Antonio with a Daily coach only traqins. so I a Question, is there a another way of going to San Antonio round Trip from New Orleans, Like going from New Orleans to Chicago,and from Chicago to San Antonio, and Coming Back the Same Way? and What is the Price of Round Trip Ticket From New Orleans to Chicago and From Chicago to San Antonio? and How long it would Take?
Nothing is remotely definite yet.

I don't know why you would want to do that except to ride a lot of trains. If the coach only trains are in service next year that would be the best option as you would be there the same day at a reasonable time and the fare is only around $134 each and you don't need a sleeper. If the current Sunset Limited is still running on the same schedule, then the arrival and departure times into San Antonio are really bad. I priced your trip through Chicago just to see what it would cost and got a fare of $900 for coach for two people. That's a big difference and if you wanted sleeper space you can just double or triple that. To schedule a multi-city trip you click on the option that says "multi-city Trip and fill in the blanks. The City of New Orleans and the Eagle connect very well in Chicago with no overnight layover. For a really wild trip try the 'Slidell' loophole that some of the experts on here can guide you though. It will route you through Washington, DC and Chicago using the Crescent and Capitol Limited round trip for only $1,272 for two adults. All you have to do is get from New Orleans to Slidell.

I don't know why you would want to do that except to ride a lot of trains. If the coach only trains are in service next year that would be the best option as you would be there the same day at a reasonable time and the fare is only around $134 each and you don't need a sleeper. If the current Sunset Limited is still running on the same schedule, then the arrival and departure times into San Antonio are really bad. I priced your trip through Chicago just to see what it would cost and got a fare of $900 for coach for two people. That's a big difference and if you wanted sleeper space you can just double or triple that. To schedule a multi-city trip you click on the option that says "multi-city Trip and fill in the blanks. The City of New Orleans and the Eagle connect very well in Chicago with no overnight layover. For a really wild trip try the 'Slidell' loophole that some of the experts on here can guide you though. It will route you through Washington, DC and Chicago using the Crescent and Capitol Limited round trip for only $1,272 for two adults. All you have to do is get from New Orleans to Slidell.
If you want to do a lot of train riding (who doesnt?!! :) )check into a Rail Pass,they are good for 15 days/8 segments, 30 days/12 segments. 45 days/18 segments!You can upgrade to Business Class or sleepers if available,its a pretty good deal if you book early and want to ride alot!(Like me! :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back