Contemporary Dining for Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching this discussion because the next time I take Amtrak from Oregon to visit my sister (south of Boston), I will be taking either the LSL to BOS or the Cap Ltd/NE Regional to RTE. My takeaway from reading the thread and perusing the menu is that I had better bring my home-made granola ("honey-maple gone nuts") for breakfast, because I cannot eat the refined sugar offerings I see on the menu. I love the steel-cut oats on the old menu (still available on western trains, I hope) because they are not full of additives, but I won't eat "flavored" instant oatmeal.

On the EB between Spokane and Portland, they give you a whole box full of sugary junk food, whether you want it or not. And I don't, so I usually go the SSL and give most of it away. Does "Contemporary Dining" allow you to just take coffee or tea and milk?

Does "Contemporary Dining" allow you to just take coffee or tea and milk?

Breakfast is "buffet" style and you can take what you want. Last time I was on the LSL during breakfast hours, I did not want breakfast since I ate at the hotel. However, I wanted hot tea and ice tea and got both without problems. I enjoyed sitting in the sleeper lounge even though I did not enjoy the sugary breakfast offerings.

Breakfast is "buffet" style and you can take what you want. Last time I was on the LSL during breakfast hours, I did not want breakfast since I ate at the hotel. However, I wanted hot tea and ice tea and got both without problems. I enjoyed sitting in the sleeper lounge even though I did not enjoy the sugary breakfast offerings.

Oh, thank you! I will be very glad not to have to take anything I would not eat. Doesn't bother me to bring my own. Was there any fresh fruit offered?

Oh, thank you! I will be very glad not to have to take anything I would not eat. Doesn't bother me to bring my own. Was there any fresh fruit offered?
Since I was not hungry I did not pay close attention, but I seem to recall bananas (but I could be mistaken).

The breakfast menu doesn't appear to list hard boiled eggs as an offering any longer.

Probably not enough added refined sugar and salt to warrant keeping them on Amtrak's menu.

They were on the menu when I had breakfast on the LSL on Wednesday morning. I’m boarding tonight so I’ll check it out on the morning.

They were on the menu when I had breakfast on the LSL on Wednesday morning. I’m boarding tonight so I’ll check it out on the morning.
They are on the current menu. The eggs are missing on the menu that was posted with the announcement of the other trains getting the new "contemporary" meals.

I understand....

My stomach suddenly decided it doesn’t like gluten a couple years ago. If I eat gluten, I feel really really bad for a day or 2 and usually lose a lot of sleep. That’s something that is nice to avoid. Simply labeling items as gluten free or “contains wheat” seems simple enough.

I was glad to see items listed as gluten free on the new menu. Small steps.

I can confirm from my trip on the LSL earlier this week that hard boiled eggs are no longer served at breakfast. When I asked for them, the attendant, who was surly, pointed and said read the menu. They weren't there (see post #25 above--I knew that, but asked anyway, in case the menu was in error.)

I regret this deletion (and don't understand it), since they were the only item, aside from fresh fruit, on the menu without added sugar and salt.

Back