"Consist" for SWC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this “consist” of the SWC accurate for 2015?
My roomettes for my May trip are: Roomette | Car 0331 - Room 011 ABQ-LAX
and Roomette | Car 0430 - Room 011 LAX-ABQ

So the sleepers are at the end of the train? In which car would the "snack bar" be located?

Thanks

http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/southwestchief.htm

consist_SWC.png

In Oct 2014, the sleepers were on the front. The cafe / SSL car is always between the diner and the coach cars. The cafe is downstairs in that car.

This is no longer being maintained, but it is more up-to-date then what you posted.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbersconsist-listings/

3/4

Southwest Chief

5 sets

LAX pool

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage

0340|0440 —— Superliner Dorm/Sleeper

0331|0431 —— Superliner Sleeper

0330|0430 —— Superliner Sleeper

----|---- —— Superliner Diner

----|---- —— Superliner Lounge

0311|0411 —— Superliner Coach *

0312|0412 —— Superliner Coach

0313|0413 —— Superliner Coach (seasonal)

* One of the coaches is almost always a baggage coach.

Yes, "SSL" stands for "Sightseer Lounge".
So to get from my roomette to the snack bar,cafe car I'd need to walk through the diner? That's seems a bit odd.
Yes but it provides a "buffer" from the coach cars. If it were on the sleeper side of the diner, there would be a lot more traffic through the diner from coach than from sleeper.

Yes, "SSL" stands for "Sightseer Lounge".
So to get from my roomette to the snack bar,cafe car I'd need to walk through the diner? That's seems a bit odd.
It's really not. You'll get used to it. :)

Plus, there are usually crew hanging out in there (rolling napkins, doing paperwork, etc), and they always smile and nod when I walk by. Sometimes they'll ask if I'm having a good trip.

In retrospect, I think any snacks bought before boarding would be much cheaper than on board. That with meals in my roomette should be more than sufficient for an over night ride.

Note also that the food-selling cafe section of the SSL is on the lower level. You can certainly have your sleeping car attendant serve all of your meals to you in your room, including snacks that you would like to purchase from the SSL. I believe all amtrak ld trains that have both a diner and ssl always position the ssl between the diner and the coaches. Many of the coach passengers purchase all of their food in the ssl, so it makes sense to not have them traipsing through the diner to get their meals and snacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In retrospect, I think any snacks bought before boarding would be much cheaper than on board. That with meals in my roomette should be more than sufficient for an over night ride.
That's always been the case for us. The meals are so large that we rarely dig into our stash. :)

That's always been the case for us. The meals are so large that we rarely dig into our stash. :)
Agreed Sarah ... I've had my snacks as well while traveling in a sleeper but, most remained un-consumed by trips end. Exception, some of my Jack Daniels and the bag of pistachios. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back