Connection Rules Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reefgeek

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I'm going from Richmond to Newark. I'm taking 94 RVM to WAS and switching to the Acela there.

One thing that puzzled me: I get into WAS around 1:30 on the return. They won't let me connect with the 2:00 Acela...or the 3:00 Acela! I have to take the 4:00 (2172) ! I'm hoping they will accommodate me on the earlier train once I get there.

What's the rule there, an hour and a half is not enough? :blink:

I believe it is usually a two hour window before the computer will allow a connection.

We have never been able to go from our Capitol Ltd to a Silver Star to Fla even though the Cap usually gets into DC at a good time.

Probably your only alternative is to buy two separate tickets to get on the early Acela, but if you miss it, you could lose your money.

Of course, with the new E ticketing system, you could probably cancel your early Acela over your phone or computer in time to avoid the missed train.

Can you just book two separate reservations to get the earlier train? Then, don't print the ticket until you get to WAS. If the train is running late, you can always call to change your reservation or switch it on your smartphone.

It's gone into the grasping hands of the corporate travel department now, so it can't be changed easily.

If I get into WAS in enough time, can I just go to the Amtrak office and get switched to the earlier train, if there is space?

It's gone into the grasping hands of the corporate travel department now, so it can't be changed easily.

If I get into WAS in enough time, can I just go to the Amtrak office and get switched to the earlier train, if there is space?

Yes, with payment of the fare difference...
Exactly. And same day AE fares are generally not low bucket.

Maybe I'm not understanding things, but if you can't get on the 2:00 Acela (94 can run late, coming from CSX) why are you connecting to an Acela at all? 94 stops in Newark, and while it is slower than the Acela, it could still get to Newark before the 3:00 Acela does. Today's 94, for example, got to WAS too late to catch 2168, but will probably get to Newark ahead of 2170.

Yes, with payment of the fare difference...
Exactly. And same day AE fares are generally not low bucket.
Even Regionals are not cheap for same day exchange (for those of us on tight budgets). We got back to the WAS station early recently and went to the ticket counter to see if we could get onto an earlier train. It was going to cost nearly $25 more for each of us if we did. We decided to hang out in the food court for a few hours (reading, doing puzzles, etc).

Trogdor said:
1338404898[/url]' post='370509']Maybe I'm not understanding things, but if you can't get on the 2:00 Acela (94 can run late, coming from CSX) why are you connecting to an Acela at all? 94 stops in Newark, and while it is slower than the Acela, it could still get to Newark before the 3:00 Acela does. Today's 94, for example, got to WAS too late to catch 2168, but will probably get to Newark ahead of 2170.
Because I never have ridden the Acela and my employer is cheerfully paying! I am aware of the irony, but I could pay $500 each way and take the plane, and get back even quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it standard procedure not to permit even exchanges (manually priced if necessary) when connecting from one train to another, earlier train? As Arrow forces long connection times from LD trains to NEC Regional or Acela trains, an even exchange to an earlier train would be a much appreciated courtesy.

They cheerfully accommodated me on the 3:00 Acela. They were willing to put me n the 2:00 train, but the only space left was in first class, for the payment of an additional $109. I was tempted, but no. And now I've been on th Acela ! Very nice. It's amazing how crowded that gets, choice of seats is really only in WAS or NYP, everyone else has to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back