Congressional Special

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
Amtraks Special with over 300 members of the Senate & House consisted of (2) AEM7's (re-mfg) & 9 Amfleets....a back-up train followed...powered

by a HHP8 & P42 also with 9 Amfleets....some of the cars were off the Downeaster....Looks like all went well!!!! :rolleyes:

I would have loved to been the crew working that special. That'd be pretty cool to be surrounded by members of Congress. But it'd also be nereveracking, because you're responsible for their lives. Ack! :)

It sounds like this train was similar to the Amtrak special that the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce runs every February going from NJ stops to Washington, DC.

How do you know that some cars were off the Downeaster? The Downeaster uses some ex-Metroliner coaches, but then these are also in use for the Adirondack and other Empire trains replacing the older "Clocker" heritage coaches. And some Metroliner coaches have been redeployed in the NEC in the past month due to the Acela Express problems.

And was this a P42 engine on the second train? If so it would have been a rare occurance because diesel power is not allowed through the tunnel into New York. I guess if they used only the HHP-8 they could have totally shut down the diesel to allow it into NYP?

If you were the crew you would also have to deal with John McCain complaining about everything. "Why are we going so slow" "When are we going to get ther" "Where are we" "this train is so useless" :lol:

Having to have a "back-up" speaks well about the condition of the trains. More than likely, that other train carried Secret Service and support.

Unfortunately, they did not get to see a "real" Amtrak train!! That train was worked from top to bottom. It's hard to ask for money, when everythig looks fine. They should have been put on a LDT, with dripping ceilings, swaying back and forth, while enjoying the "ambiance" of the stopped up toilet and the lovely aroma , as it wafts through the car. :eek: This is a "real" trip!!!

Also wouldn't have been nice if the "nasty" conductor was on board, complaining about Amtrak and Ignoring the VIP's? THey should experience what the paying passenger has dealt with for years, not a fairytale trip!! B)

You'd be suprised. Over the years trains have been shaping up on the NEC and I've not run into a bad crew yet (New York crews are the best and always make for a fun trip with their "Amtrak" humor). Even though some cars aren't refurbished they still are in pretty good shape. Though there are odors that come from the restrooms on the older Amfleets.

I got this info from a forum post at TrainOrders.com I assume the P42 was

there to back up the HHP8 if it died....or a loss of catenary power. Guess

they tried to cover every contigency....I'm glad everything worked out. :)

AmtrakerBx said:
I got this info from a forum post at TrainOrders.com I assume the P42 wasthere to back up the HHP8 if it died....or a loss of catenary power. Guess

they tried to cover every contigency....I'm glad everything worked out. :)
Me too. Any Amtrak officials on board?

This article does in fact state that Downeaster equipment was brought down to Washington DC for the "Congress Special". I'm geussing standard Amfleet equipment made for a temporary replacement on the Downeaster during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back