Concept 2000 cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed these redone amfleet I cars that have grey walls, blue seats, and blue carpeting. If these are concept 2000 cars, it is a grave mistake to continue rebuilding cars to this design. I have had several bad rides on these cars. Most recently, the restrooms were not functioning on 391 out of Chicago. The smell reminded me of the Bear's offensive game plan, and of the workmanship in these cars. I noticed a loose piece of wall paneling that vibrated noisiliy as the train went down the track. Also, the seats are uncomfortable because the armrests are too short. This sounds weird, but with short armrests, it is hard to find a comfortable sitting position. In general, these cars are not impressive. :(

Steve, that would inded be a Concept 2000 car you were in. just out of curiosity was it an Amfleet I or Amfleet II? I have seen some wall and ceiling panels fall off, because they are only held up by velcro, bad choice. But there are several good features the car brings, new fabric to seats that are 25 years old. Also in the lounges the enclosed smoking room has been added, a very large plus. The body of the car is the same, so the retention tank problem you witnessed is not because of the rebuild, original equipment. I ran into a car with a bad retention tank in Delray Beach recently (sorry don't have the consist handy). It was so bad that while we were making the first of two stops there we had to pop both of the vestibule doors to air the car out. Bleh!

It was amfleet I. I have not ridden in a concept 2000 Amfleet II car. I understand that the toilets are from the original equipment. I guess the seats would be too. I just hate to see money wasted on such a poor effort of refurbishment.

Are the Amfleet II's much better with the concept 2000 redo?

I think these bad refurbishments are from Warrington and freinds. They were in a rush to refurb all equipment. So intsead of doing it right they just rushed it. I've been in Cafe cars on the NEC were one half is still in red and orange, the snackbar is new, and the other end still has orange walls but blue seats. It looks horable.

When these cars first appeared, I really liked the cars. After a year working on them, I thnk whoever bought this package should be shot!! :angry:

The interior is all held by Velcro and pieces are hanging or have fallen off and been thrown away!! The Velcro has started to wear out and will not hold. If you look behind the new interior, you will see the original orange walls and carpeting. This is only a cover-up, not a replacement. That is why you get the "noisy"vibrations.

The reading lights are failing miserably and are a cheap design. Yet, each lightbulb is a halogen at a cost of $5 dollars a pop!!

The cars did have some wiring changes but I don't know to what degree.

I thought the seat assy's were the same, just new cushions and legrests. I'll measure the armrests tonight.

There are only a few coaches with the new toilet systems. Haven't had any problems yet but I dread the day! Everything is mounted to the fiberglass walls and there is very little room to work in. I think over time, the vibrations are going to tear the components from the mounts.

B)

Amfleet said:
This is only a cover-up, not a replacement.
I see you've remembered Warrington's old motto. :lol: Hopefully the referbs Gunn does are a lot better.
Cute Amfleet. :lol:

There's no hopefully, Gunns will be better. Looks like the refurbs need refurbs. :lol:

I think these bad refurbishments are from Warrington and freinds. They were in a rush to refurb all equipment. So intsead of doing it right they just rushed it. I've been in Cafe cars on the NEC were one half is still in red and orange, the snackbar is new, and the other end still has orange walls but blue seats. It looks horable.
I have seen something similar to this. The second Miami Club (there are indeed two) car 28000 is in sad shape. In the Snack bar area you could sit there with your fingernail and chip the paint off. Now that's just sad. most of the later rebuilds used a wallpaper type consistency to cover up the old orange. I have yet to see problems in those cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back