Comparison of Vancouver-Toronto Running Times via CN 1961-2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was noise a factor? I know that freight turbine engines (the UP's "Big Blows") were hugely noisy, such that they didn't operate them at all in urban areas. They were pretty much restricted to the more remote sections of the Overland Route (Wyoming, Nebraska, etc).

I didn't find riding in the dome power car very noisy, at all...no noisier than say a Budd RDC. The turbine engine sound was greatly muted, and probably no louder than the 'whoosh' of air-conditioning in an Amfleet coach. They had the best railfan seats on rails...you could sit directly behind the engineer, or fireman, and see thru the glass panel right over their shoulder, and on thru the windshield...
default_cool.png

....... They had the best railfan seats on rails...you could sit directly behind the engineer, or fireman, and see thru the glass panel right over their shoulder, and on thru the windshield...
default_cool.png
Riding Amtrak's Turbo under the old New Haven catenary through Connecticut...and outside, I don't recall the Turbine noise to be any louder than a HEP unit. Perhaps quieter.

75-06Scan10028.JPG

75-06Scan10026.JPG

Actually, I should have disclosed in my post, that was where I rode them--on the Penn Central though, a couple of years before Amtrak even existed. They made the run from Back Bay Station to Grand Central Terminal in I believe, 3 hours and 55 minutes, over a fairly poor right-of-way. They were capable of 160 mph, but could not get anywhere near that on that line. They did reach that when tested between New Brunswick and Trenton...

So...it was only 3 hours, 39 minutes on some trains...my memory was a bit hazy...but how do you like those fares? 'Regular trains' were even lower...
default_smile.png

As usual, NS VIA Fan, thanks so much for posting those great items of interest.
default_hi.gif

So...it was only 3 hours, 39 minutes on some trains...my memory was a bit hazy...but how do you like those fares? 'Regular trains' were even lower...
default_smile.png

default_hi.gif
I wonder what other good things he has in his collection. That could be an interesting off topic thread.

default_smile.png

default_hi.gif
I wonder what other good things he has in his collection. That could be an interesting off topic thread.
Check out the AU Lounge
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

default_hi.gif
Check out the AU Lounge
default_smile.png
I've never been there...do you need a pass to get in?
default_tongue.png

Just kiddin'....I'm headed over there, shortly...
default_wink.png

Randomly, why Back Bay and not South Station? (I know there was an infamous attempt to cut service back to Route 128, but I'm not sure if this was part of such a game)

Randomly, why Back Bay and not South Station? (I know there was an infamous attempt to cut service back to Route 128, but I'm not sure if this was part of such a game)
I am not sure entirely, but by starting and ending at Back Bay, they could shave off a few minutes in their advertised Boston-New York running time, in an attempt to attract some air shuttle passenger's. Another reason may be to make it easier to get to their maintenance base...not sure of that, either...

The Turbos were maintained at United Aircraft in Providence RI so it was a bit closer (but only by a couple of miles!) Shortly afterwards.....they were serving South Station

The Turbos were maintained at United Aircraft in Providence RI so it was a bit closer (but only by a couple of miles!) Shortly afterwards.....they were serving South Station
Thanks....I kind of remembered there was something like that to do with it, but forgot the details...
default_smile.png

Back