compact amtrak vacuum cleaner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norbert

During a recent California Zephyr trip, I was

very impressed with the small floor vacuum

cleaner that a crew member was using sweep

crumbs from the floor in the lounge car. It

was small, quiet and very effective. There

was no bag to collect the debris that it swept

up. Can somebody enlighten me about the

make and model of this machine? Do you

know how it can dispense with the bulky

bag? Does the device operate with a battery?

There might have been an electric cord, but

I don't recall seeing it or having to step around

one.

During a recent California Zephyr trip, I was

very impressed with the small floor vacuum

cleaner that a crew member was using sweep

crumbs from the floor in the lounge car. It

was small, quiet and very effective. There

was no bag to collect the debris that it swept

up. Can somebody enlighten me about the

make and model of this machine? Do you

know how it can dispense with the bulky

bag? Does the device operate with a battery?

There might have been an electric cord, but

I don't recall seeing it or having to step around

one.
I'm not sure of the make and model they use, but I have one like that at home. We have wood flooring, so we don't need a heavy-duty vacuum.

Basically, the vacuum has a charging base and runs on a battery. There is a canister that holds the dust/debris, and you simply shake it out into a garbage can. I make sure to wash the canister every couple of weeks to prevent allergies.

It's sort of like this one:

http://dirtdevil.com/products/details/bd20040red/extreme-power-14-4-cordless-bagless-stick-vacuum/

Since the train cars are cleaned and vacuumed by the coach cleaners at the end of the trip, it's usually sufficient for the crew to use the bagless vacuums during the trip. It's mostly to keep up with dust and debris. The sleeper car attendants use those vacuums in the roomettes and bedrooms when they flip the rooms between passengers. I've seen them use them before arriving at the station too (when they're emptying garbages and such).

I recall they used to use an old-fashioned carpet sweeper to manually clean the carpet's....I haven't seen the vacuum's mentioned....

I recall they used to use an old-fashioned carpet sweeper to manually clean the carpet's....I haven't seen the vacuum's mentioned....
I've also seen this, an unpowered sweeper. I have one at home that my Dad bought me about 25 years ago, a Bissell, and it is still great.

Some of the newer ones are worthless IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back