Coach vs Sleeper for Single Overnight Segments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only day trip in a roomette was the last leg of a cross country AGR zones trip.
I have a trip scheduled later this year where I’ll switch to coach for the day run from my transfer station to my destination.

Hey guys,

When you take multi-segment trips (where each segment is a single overnight), do you go sleeper all the way or do you mix some coach accommodations in there?

I've used this example before, but if I were to take a trip to Denver, CO, I would take the Northeast Regional, Capitol Limited and then California Zephyr. The CL and CZ segments are a single overnight apiece, with a long layover in Chicago. Now, I could take coach for one and sleeper for the other, coach for both or sleeper for both if I wanted to.

As far as I know, the only scenario where I wouldn't be able to access the lounge in Chicago would be if I rode coach for both segments.

How have y'all done trips such as that?
My first long trip (Fulton, KY (City of New Orleans)>Chicago>Los Angeles (Desert Wind)>Portland (Coast Starlight)>Chicago (Empire Builder)>Fulton I booked coach for the Fulton>Chicago legs since it is only an 8 hour or so ride and in/out of Fulton around 0100-0300. This was prior to Superliner equipment on the City. Northbound the coach heat was cranked up to medium-well done and was miserable. The southbound leg there were about 15 kids that screamed and cried the whole way. Not to mention the deafening snoring of the lucky folks that did sleep. Tried to sleep since I still had a 3.5 drive back to Nashville but that wasn't happening. Since then if an overnight trip it is a room.

I rarely stay in the room except to sleep. I enjoy meeting and chatting with folks of all types in the lounge and diner. And have met many and struck up conversations in coach too.

Only time we took a sleeper on a day trip was LA-SJ when they still had the PPC and the conductor was offering the sleepers for $50.
That got us the sleeper, meals, and some complimentary wine.

For overnight, a sleeper.

Back