Coach Seating on Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sean

If I have a reserved seat from New Orleans to Los Angeles, do I have access to a shower on the trip? I know there are restroom facilities on the lower level of the coach cars, but do they include a shower also? Thanks for any help.

You may also want to look into upgrading to a sleeping car for a part of your trip. Check out prices for stations that will give you maybe a meal, a few hours in a flat bed, and access to a shower. May be relatively inexpensive...

That's what I do on long distance train trips - book a Roomette for only part of the train ride.

I don't upgrade once i'm on the train. I just book the trip that way when I make the reservation.

Beaumont or Houston to Alpine would get you, dinner and a shower, and breakfast and anothere shower the next morning.

Going from Ottumwa, Iowa to Emeyrville, CA - I book coach from Ottumwa to Denver, a Roomette from Denver to Reno, and back to coach from Reno to Emeryville.

Denver to Reno is about 25 hours and overnight. I get 4 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, breakfast) with the roomette and I shower twice.

On the way back I have the Roomette from Reno to Denver - dinner, breakfast, lunch, dinner.

On an upcoming trip on the Texas Eagle from Chicago to LA I'll have a sleeper from Marshall, TX to Alpine, TX - about 27.5 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest checking regularly the fare for the sleeper. If the date gets closer and there are few reservations, the price may drop. I check by checking for 8 people which will show up to eight rooms. I look at the number of full bedrooms (5 per car), the number of Family Rooms, and Roomettes. on the TE reservations are slow if you see 8 Roomettes, 1 Family, 5 Bedrooms. For example, for my next trip, the fare just dropped approximately 10% since I have not seen any movement in the last 30 days, but the adjoining days show limited availability and a substantially higher fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back