Coach Ahead of Baggage Car on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

Conductor
I caught Amtrak #6(03) today just east of Agency, Iowa. This eastbound California Zephyr had an extra coach between the engines and the baggage car. I don't think I've seen this on the Zephyr before. Also of note was the Edward L. Ullman sleeper ahead of the diner.

About a week ago #5 dropped a coach somewhere between Denver and Sacramento, as caught by a YouTuber in Sacramento. I imagine that this 6 picked it up and is bringing it back to Chicago. Then if you remember a couple of days ago #5 had 4 coaches, that would be the coach to resupply Oakland.

I appreciate this coverage from Agency, but it got me to wondering if passenger trains had always just blasted through. The Official Guide for June 1941 has an answer:

Agency City, six miles east of Ottumwa, had a telegraph office. At 12:54 p.m. the Des Moines - Galesburg motor car stopped there on flag. At 5:15 p.m. the Chicago to Ottumwa coach-only local stopped on flag. At Ottumwa it was combined with the Exposition Flyer to Omaha. There were also at least three Burlington Trailways trips a day making flag stops there.

For fans of whistles, there were six express trains in each direction that likely shook the telegrapher right out of his or her chair as they rolled through. Not counting extra sections and the first troop trains...

Back