ClubAcela rebranding back to Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I was going to reply about the lounge at NOL - not much in the way of amenities but far more comfortable and quiet than the public area.
That’s probably the only advantage to that lounge. Even though I’d heard stories about it, I was disappointed by it. There were empty water bottles all over the place, no beverages, one cinnamon roll left (I took it) but no other snacks available, a true motivator to spend as little time as possible there. We did get to see the kids and parents check in for the Polar Express which was cute and Christmas music was playing in the main waiting area which did make the stay a little more tolerable. Yes, it was better than nothing but not by a whole lot.

That’s probably the only advantage to that lounge. Even though I’d heard stories about it, I was disappointed by it. There were empty water bottles all over the place, no beverages, one cinnamon roll left (I took it) but no other snacks available, a true motivator to spend as little time as possible there. We did get to see the kids and parents check in for the Polar Express which was cute and Christmas music was playing in the main waiting area which did make the stay a little more tolerable. Yes, it was better than nothing but not by a whole lot.
Better than nothing - and quieter, more comfortable - was enough for me. Since the un-staffing of Lamy, my home station is FTW - which has NO lounge for sleeper passengers. Nada, nothing, and an intermodal station at that.

Better than nothing - and quieter, more comfortable - was enough for me. Since the un-staffing of Lamy, my home station is FTW - which has NO lounge for sleeper passengers. Nada, nothing, and an intermodal station at that.
I've been at FTW twice.  I actually liked the waiting area for everyone over the NOL lounge.

I've been at FTW twice.  I actually liked the waiting area for everyone over the NOL lounge.
I've been there maybe ten+ times. As a single senior female I absolutely prefer the privacy of a 1st-class lounge, also the quiet and the comfort. You may have never been accosted at a public waiting area but I have, and FTW was one of those places, more than once. Yes there are officials who will deal with it, but being someplace where you never have to deal with it is priceless.

Just so you'll understand, I'm retired, limited income, I have to save for the privilege of feeling safe when I travel and it doesn't happen all that often.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been there maybe ten+ times. As a single senior female I absolutely prefer the privacy of a 1st-class lounge, also the quiet and the comfort. You may have never been accosted at a public waiting area but I have, and FTW was one of those places, more than once. Yes there are officials who will deal with it, but being someplace where you never have to deal with it is priceless.

Just so you'll understand, I'm retired, limited income, I have to save for the privilege of feeling safe when I travel and it doesn't happen all that often.
Just FYI, I'm retired as well and on a fixed income.  I'd say there is a better chance of you getting accosted with no immediate help in the lounge in NOL, which to enter you have to have a code than in FTW's waiting area, which I've seen security on a regular basis.   I correct myself, I've been there three times, not two.  

That's a little insensitive considering she's concerned about her safety.  
I've edited my post. However, my original post, I'm saying I agree to disagree with her, not trying to be insensitive to her feelings.  The new post is more clear to the basis for my opinion.

Not to be insensitive, but I agree that the main waiting room (including in FTW) has better security than the “Lounge” in NOL. While it is true that you need to enter via a code, once inside there are no employees. There have even been times that they forgot to notify the people inside that the train was even boarding!

In NOL, there is a police desk in the station. Thus I feel safer out in the main waiting area than in the Lounge.

Okay. it's a free country, you have the right to your opinion. I *have* been accosted at FTW and it took a LONG 3 minutes for security to respond. 3 minutes probably doesn't sound long to you. It was eternity for me. It wasn't the first time, just the longest time. I have *never* been accosted at the NOL 1st class lounge.

Back