ClubAcela rebranding back to Metropolitan Lounge

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Trogdor, Dec 19, 2018.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Dec 20, 2018 #26

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

The major upgrades have already been done. The lounge is open. 

2. Dec 20, 2018 #27

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

I was in the LA Metropolitan Lounge a couple of weeks ago and found it quite nice, as with previous visits. The coast Starlight passengers were departing as I was arriving from the SWC, so the lounge was not crowded. I wanted to store my luggage for a while, use a clean restroom, go to new restaurant/brewery for lunch and watch part of the George HW Bush funeral. All was accomplished comfortably. Unlike previous visits, I was told to store my luggage in the conference room. It was out of the way and I felt it was more secure. 

3. Dec 20, 2018 #28

Triley

T

Triley

Conductor

I mean...there could just be no lounge like Seattle.

4. Dec 20, 2018 #29

cpotisch

cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

Unfortunately, the snack selection of the Chicago Met Lounge is limited to chopped carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli. There’s a full soda fountain, which is nice, but the snacks really suck.

5. Dec 20, 2018 #30

cpotisch

cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

Upgrades? From what I’ve heard about the new PHL lounge, it can be counted as an update, but not really an upgrade. :unsure:  

6. Dec 20, 2018 #31

AG1

A

AG1

OBS Chief

One would think that a press release by the public relations department  would be proof read before being issued.

7. Dec 20, 2018 #32

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

And then some of us thought Acela was the stupidest name ever, conveying only a sense of... um... well... pointless rebranding. I would go back to calling the trains Metroliners too if I had my way.

8. Dec 20, 2018 #33

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

Believe me - the Lounge in Seattle is better than the Lounge in New Orleans.

9. Dec 20, 2018 #34

tim49424

tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

True. King Street for all the beauty of the architecture of the building, really is disappointing as a train station. No lounge, uncomfortable seating, just vending machines for food, no WiFi.....

10. Dec 20, 2018 #35

tim49424

tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

I disagree totally about the snacks....you left out several items from the veggie bar, which also includes cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, pea pods, broccoli, ranch dressing for dipping and also about half a dozen types of cheese. That is available until the allotted amount is gone. Then they replace that with four different snack mixes in dispensers. Also sometimes the lounge attendant comes around and offers chocolates later in the afternoon and early evening. In addition there is a bartender if the adults would like to consume a libation or two before boarding. The thing that kinda sucks is you cannot consume outside food or drink in the ML. But even there are tables by the front desk exclusively for consumption of that stuff. In my opinion it’s all good!

11. Dec 20, 2018 #36

Skyline

Skyline

Skyline

OBS Chief

The issue of branding is interesting.

It would make no sense to brand something outside the NEC with the word "Acela"  as part of the name. But it would not be a problem to name the first class lounges in the NEC as Metropolitan Lounges. That conveys a sense of exclusivity, setting the premium lounges, such as they are, apart from the less premium waiting areas coach pax use. Branding them all with the same name nationwide makes sense too.

12. Dec 20, 2018 #37

William W.

W

William W.

Lead Service Attendant

Not much different from an Admiral Club in that regard. 

FWIW when I was there recently, they had rotated in some finger sandwich type offerings. Probably to correspond with the afternoon LD departures. It was perfectly fine, and much better than the DC location. 

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018
  13. Dec 20, 2018 #38

cpotisch

cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

Then maybe I was just unlucky when I was there, because what I said is all they had.

14. Dec 20, 2018 #39

Mystic River Dragon

M

Mystic River Dragon

Conductor

No one offered chocolates when I was there. Where did I go wrong? :unsure: :giggle:

And in the "You just never know" category, the best cappuccino I've had on an Amtrak route was out of a vending machine in someplace we were waiting for a while during a Gathering (Olympia, Washington?), and it cost 85 cents :) .

15. Dec 20, 2018 #40

tim49424

tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

Understandable.  Sometimes timing is everything.  What I listed (in addition to what you originally did) is pretty standard fare, however, yesterday when I was there, they didn't put out the cheeses for some reason.  The pea pods are new items on the veggie buffet as I'd not seen them before last Saturday.  They had them there again yesterday.  The veggies are available starting at 12:30, but before they provide them, there is a bowl of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, etc.) on the table along with packages of oatmeal.  That kinda sucks, I'd rather have what the old ML in CUS had, which was cinnamon rolls in the morning and chips and cookies in the afternoon with soft drinks.  The veggie table was rolled out when the new lounge opened.

16. Dec 20, 2018 #41

tim49424

tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

I haven't seen the chocolates being handed out in maybe about a year.  When they do it, they will after the veggie table has closed up.  I think they do that to appease the later train riders, especially like the LSL passengers who don't get a meal upon departure.

17. Dec 20, 2018 #42

cpotisch

cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

Yeah, that’s exactly my feeling. I mean, I appreciate that they want to have healthy options, and I know that there are plenty of people who want just that, but honestly when I’m taking a trip, I really am not thinking about the health aspect of what I’m eating, and just want something garbagey that tastes good which I can feel ashamed about eating after my trip is done. :p

18. Dec 20, 2018 #43

cpotisch

cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

Now you’re just making me sad. Last time I was in the CUS Met Lounge was February, when I was waiting for the LSL. :(

[​IMG]

19. Dec 20, 2018 #44

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

That was when I was avoiding the AU Gang! :giggle:  (Didn’t work! :( )

20. Dec 21, 2018 #45

Sauve850

Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

Yes I too have seen plenty of items each time Ive been there including mixed nuts and trail mix from dispensers as stated above, cheese, stuff for dipping etc. My arrival times have been after lunch.

21. Dec 21, 2018 #46

tim49424

tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

I agree 100% about all of that.....however it being what it is, I do enjoy the veggies.  Of course, that's a snack for me after a visit to McDonald's in the food court. LOL

22. Dec 21, 2018 #47

tim49424

tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

My departure times are pretty normally well after lunch, being I've ridden nearly every LD train heading out of CUS. (I've been on every LD train that operates there but some were incoming)

23. Dec 21, 2018 #48

tim49424

tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my routine trip to Nuts on Clark too, when I'm headed home from CUS.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2018
  24. Dec 21, 2018 #49

Chey

Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant AU Supporter

That's what I was going to reply about the lounge at NOL - not much in the way of amenities but far more comfortable and quiet than the public area.

25. Dec 21, 2018 #50

Chey

Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant AU Supporter

I like it too. But at times it gets jammed with arriving customers, I wish it was bigger. I agree about the Red Cap service, best I've seen in my limited experience.