ClubAcela Lounge Access for Business Class?

Discussion in 'Amtrak Guest Rewards' started by D E K E R, Aug 11, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 11, 2019 #1

D E K E R

D

D E K E R

Train Attendant

Hi all,

This morning, I tried to visit the ClubAcela lounge in NYP, but I was holding a business class ticket for the NE Regional. I was told only first class passengers are allowed in ClubAcela.

That being said, there is no first class available on the Regional. Business is the highest seating available on those trains. As a result, it sounds like no NE Regional passengers are allowed in ClubAcela.

Anyone else run into this? Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Aug 11, 2019 #2

swc34

s

swc34

Train Attendant

That is true, on the NEC, you must be Acela First class or Sleeper Class to use the lounge, but anywhere else in the country, a business class seat gets you access. I am sure it comes down to the fact that the lounge is not large enough to accommodate that influx of people. As to what you can do, I have been told a business class ticket can gain access by paying a fee of $20 I believe, please correct me if I’m wrong.

3. Aug 11, 2019 #3

D E K E R

D

D E K E R

Train Attendant

I wasn't offered an option by the lounge attendant to pay and get in. She simply informed me that it's first class passengers only and my business class ticket was not eligible.

4. Aug 11, 2019 #4

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

There are no purchasable day passes for Business Class customers, for the New York and Washington DC lounges. Business Class passengers can purchase day passes for Boston and Philadelphia lounges

Information from the veritable horse's mouth at:

https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

I looked at the policy after a long time and am delighted to discover that now I can use my United Club membership at all Club Acela and Metropolitan Lounges! We used to be restricted to only Club Acelas in the past. Good change!

5. Aug 11, 2019 #5

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Aren't the Club Acela Lounges being rebranded as Metropolitan Lounges?

6. Aug 11, 2019 #6

jis

jis

jis

The current names as they are appear in the Lounges information. What happens in the future, who knows? I suspect nothing will change in NYP until the Lounge(s) in the Moynihan Concourse come on line.

D E K E R and pennyk like this.
  7. Aug 11, 2019 #7

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

Rather than $20 a pop to buy a Club Acela/Metropolitan Lounge pass, one can always 'purchase' them with points...5,000 points for a pack of 5 coupons. It's necessary to go to your AGR account, click the 'redemption' button and 'Amtrak Travel' button and then scroll down to see the Lounge passes. And, for what it's worth, at 5,000 points at 34.5 points per dollar usual redemption value = $144.93. I think I'd rather pay upon entry $20 each, or, $100 for five visits, and buy $144.93 worth of tickets.

Willbridge and Bob Dylan like this.
  8. Aug 12, 2019 #8

Palmetto

Palmetto

Palmetto

Conductor

If you are changing from sleeper class to a different class in order to continue your journey, then you will have access to the lounge. This is a pretty common occurrence when passengers from the Florida trains are going further east into New England somewhere.

9. Aug 14, 2019 #9

D E K E R

D

D E K E R

Train Attendant

Yes, this definitely makes sense. Points are better spent on tickets.

10. Aug 15, 2019 #10

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

I don't think Washington or NY sell day passes, but the coupons from the 5 packs available from AGR are accepted.
    While points for tickets over coupons usually makes sense, I have a unique situation. I get reimbursed for most of my tickets, so I don't have many opportunities to use points for tickets. I use NER and Empire Service, and the points for coupons was not a bad way to have the lounge option at penn.

11. Aug 15, 2019 #11

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

Correct. Those are the two busiest lounges. Philly and Boston have passes for purchase.

12. Sep 3, 2019 #12

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

Also, if you earn enough points to make Select Plus, you also have access to all the lounges, even if you're traveling coach.

13. Sep 4, 2019 #13

jis

jis

jis

Or even if you are not traveling at all!

14. Sep 13, 2019 #14

uppereastsider

uppereastsider

uppereastsider

Train Attendant

And also, United Club Access, which for me makes my Amtrak status one of the most valuable frequent traveller statuses for me