CL service though/to Ohiopyle, PA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
I'm just back in the UK after a great trip back to the States, including two trips on the Capitol Limited; first from Toledo, OH to Cumberland, MD and then the next day from Cumberland to Washington, DC.

A few months ago I asked on this thread about whether I should slight in Connellsville or Cumberland to reach Fallingwater, the famous house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Although Connellsville is closer, it would have meant an earlier detrain and missing breakfast. It was also easier to rent a car in Cumberland, even if it did mean a longer backtrack (pics from that part of my trip are here).

What interests me is whether there is any potential for CL service to be added / restored to Ohiopyle, Pa. This town has a small population (~ 75), but has a massive tourist appeal owing to its location on several trails and the presence of some local white water rafting companies. It's also just a couple of miles from both Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, two of the most famous and most accessible houses designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, which together attract tens of thousands of tourists every year.

Has the Capitol Limited ever stopped in Ohiopyle? Would it not be quite an appealing contender for even seasonal service, given the number of attractions nearby?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Found an old schedule of the CL from StreamlinerSchedules. It did not stop at Ohiopyle. Back then it stopped at even less stations then today.

Found an old schedule of the CL from StreamlinerSchedules. It did not stop at Ohiopyle. Back then it stopped at even less stations then today.
If you look at Google Earth the visitors centre located at the old railroad/now nature trail on the other side of the river looks like an old railroad depot. I have no idea which railroad it was running on the south side of the river, when it was abandoned or what sort of service they had for Ohiopyle though.

Well, I guess it's not called the Capitol Limited for nothing. I chatted with a local during my brief stop and I think he referred to there having been either a local or mixed train that used to call in Ohiopyle many moons ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back