City of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cirdan

Engineer
Two questions.

On leaving Chicago, is dinner served on the City of New Orleans, or is this too late?

Will the cafeteria car be open? Until what time about?

Second question. Is there much of interest to see in Jackson MS (or any other stop in MS)

We were thinking of breaking for a day or so on our way to New Orleans to do a bit of sightseeing of an area that we know very little about.

You didn't say whether or not you'd be willing to rent a car, but if you do, Vicksburg is a nice drive from Jackson.

When you board CONO in Chicago, you will have the option of a light meal. It's not the usual steak/chicken/fish meals that you'll see on the menus, but something along the lunch menus - a burger, salads, etc. Since you're leaving late (8PM) they want to get the kitchen closed up for the night, I assume.

Totaly agree with the tip to stay in Memphis instead of Jackson! ( no matter what Johnny Cash and June Carter sang! LOL)

Since the train leaves CHI @ 8pm and a Limited Menu is served in the Diner ( CCC)you may want to eat in Chicago before boarding, plenty of great choices!

The cafe in the Lounge is open till 1030pm or 11:00pm ( it varies) but you may want to take your own snacks and beverages to enjoy in the privacy of your room!

As mentioned, if you have (rent) a car, a visit to Vicksburg would have a lot to offer. There are nice views of the Mississippi River, the National Military Park, and the Cairo exhibit. I also drove some of the Natchez Trace. There was a great barbeque place in Natchez, but I don't remember the name, it could have changed, and there are probably many other good eateries.

If I were to combine this visit with a visit to New Orleans, I might want to go all the way to New Orleans and then drive back to Natchez, Vicksburg, and Jackson.

If you are a Hilton Honors member, there is a Hilton Garden Inn across street from Amtrak station in Jackson, MS. I agree with the recommendation to visit Vicksburg. I'm not aware of much in the Jackson area and I have driven through many times when driving from my Nashville, TN, home(since 1966) to Shreveport, LA, my native home.

The Hilton Garden Inn was recently renovated and was once called the King Edward Hotel. Like many have said, Vicksburg is only a 45 minute drive from Jackson. There you can go to the military park (one of the best I've ever been to) if you are interested in the Civil War. The Coca Cola museum is also there, though I have never been there. If you are interested in history, the Windsor Ruins are south of Vicksburg, about halfway to Natchez, If you make it to Natchez, I would recommend eating at Fat Mama's. Some of the best tamales out there. (And the fire and ice pickles are great).

Depending on when the trip is, you can always travel to Brookhaven and drive from there to Natchez, which is only about an hour. In mid-october, Natchez always hosts the Great Mississippi River Balloon Race. Hot air balloons, music and food.

There is an excellent historical "ghost" tour in Vicksburg. And gaslight lit streets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back