city of new orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVasi

Train Attendant
Okay I am taking the City of New Orleans soon. I see from the 8pm departure from Chicago, is there any dinner served?? And returning to Chicago do they try to get in an early breakfast??? we are in sleepers so I know we get the meals on the house....

thanks bill

I understand that a limited menu is served from Chicago. I have not ridden that route since 1984, but they probably will serve an early breakfast that will end at a a fairly early hour, say 7:30, prior to arriving Chicago.

Dinner is served southbound out of Chicago, but it is a limited menu. Breakfast is also served on the way into Chicago northbound. It is usually served starting at about 6:00am, and they stop serving breakfast at Kankakee to start cleaning up the diner and getting it ready for arrival into Chicago. An on time arrival into Kankakee is 7:13am.

I can confirm that the information above is what I experienced during my January 2014 City of New Orleans ride. Had a roomette to and from Memphis. 58 Sleeper Guy was my attendant for the trip back to Chicago. Had same crew working diner in both directions.

Don't forget that we also get to board early from the Metropolitan Lounge and as I understand, dinner reservations can start before the train even leaves Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back