City of New Orleans Bustitution (ended)

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by manchacrr, Feb 27, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Mar 15, 2019 #26

brooks

b

brooks

What looked like the normal Amtrak City of New Orleans train except for 2 locos instead of the normal 1, went Northbound through Brookhaven, MM783, at 3;10pm today, without stopping at the station. Also curious why they don't run the train down to Hammond, LA. Spillway is south of there.

2. Mar 16, 2019 #27

brooks

b

brooks

The spillway could be open for a month. See image.

Attached Files:

3. Mar 16, 2019 #28

manchacrr

m

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant

The reason that the CONO does not turn in Hammond is that there are no facilities to service the train or refuel the locomotives there. In Jackson, there is a major CN rail yard where Amtrak can refuel the locomotives to get them ready for the return trip north. Also, if Amtrak turns the CONO at Jackson, that frees up one of the three trainsets required for the CONO to operate. By turning at Jackson, the CONO can perform a same day turnaround with time to fully service the train as the southbound 59 is scheduled to arrive in Jackson at 11:12 AM and 58 is scheduled to depart Jackson at 5:44 PM giving the crew roughly 6 hours to service the train.

brooks likes this.
  4. Mar 16, 2019 #29

brooks

b

brooks

amtrak_northbound.png amtrak_southbound.png
    Thank you. I understand now.
    Also, the Amtrak with two locos that went north yesterday at 3:10pm yesterday, just passed Brookhaven MM783 southbound at 2:10PM today 3/16 .

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  5. Mar 16, 2019 #30

brooks

b

brooks

City of New Orleans operating to Brookhaven, MS northbound today. Looks like regular service. The bus came with southbound passengers but the northbound train with single loco #38 stopped at the station at 4:21pm today. Windows_7.png

6. Apr 25, 2019 #31

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

Lead Service Attendant

Haven't heard anything about this lately but I assume the bustitution is over. Is that correct?

7. Apr 26, 2019 #32

Thirdrail7

T

Thirdrail7

Conductor

Correct.

Rasputin likes this.
  8. Apr 26, 2019 #33

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

Amtrak really screwed around with my 4/15 roomette reservation CHI-NOL. I got an email from them about 2 weeks prior to departure indicating that I was going to be bused from Jackson. Shortly after leaving home 4/7, I checked the Amtrak app on my phone and sure enough, there's a 2nd reservation showing the bus. I checked the app the morning of 4/15 and it showed I had TWO roomettes CHI-NOL! Actually, it was the same roomette, CHI-JAN and JAN-NOL. I was NOT notified of the change. Interestingly, it showed up in my AGR activities screen as two separate roomettes rather than being put back together. Good thing I paid with points.

9. Apr 26, 2019 #34

AG1

A

AG1

OBS Chief

Did you receive a points reduction for the bus section ?

10. Apr 27, 2019 #35

PRR 60

PRR 60

PRR 60

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator

No bus section. He ended up in a roomette all the way.

AG1 likes this.
  11. Apr 27, 2019 #36

George K

George K

George K

Conductor

I was reimbursed for that section via the credit card I used to book sleeper.

The return trip was on points, and they were credited as well.

12. Apr 27, 2019 #37

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

I booked the CONO trip on points, there weren't any points to lose or get back.

And on the Coast Startlight 4 days earlier, I WAS bused Bakersfield-Los Angeles. That was a points trip also. No points to lose/recapture.

13. Apr 27, 2019 #38

George K

George K

George K

Conductor

If you paid for sleeper accommodations for the entire trip, and did not get them, you should be reimbursed for the portion of the trip that were not sleeper.

14. Apr 28, 2019 #39

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

I feel the same way, especially after I got gypped out of getting points back when a late #8 caused me to miss #30 roomette and they put me in coach on #48 8-9 years ago. But then, the ticket clerks don't have a means to deal with points, as far as I know. So, I would have to raise a stink with AGR about missing lunch and dinner on #11 and 12 hrs of roomette time. It's just not worth the aggravation, in my opinion to get maybe 2000 points. But then, I caught an incredible conjunctive fare PDX to CHI via #11 & #422, so 2000 point 'refund' is likely much higher than I'd get. That super low conjunctive fare is why I booked my entire 9500 mile joyride for early April.

15. Apr 28, 2019 #40

AG1

A

AG1

OBS Chief

I have twice received a E-voucher for as a refund on points paid sleepers that were bustituted . One was POR to Spokane($300) and the other was on LSL from ALB to BOS($100). You should contact Customer Relations. All I did was ask. There was no aggravation involved. I had to use the vouchers within a year by calling Customer relations for the next trip reservation.