Circling the Northeast by Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your welcome thanks for the nice comments. I have more to post today. Which I will start doing here shortly.

Harrisburg is actually a really cool city. And the Fulton Bank Building certainly is one of the larger charms

Day 7: Crossing the Border.

Both of us woke up around five AM to find we were still not quite in Sandusky, OH and we slowly gathered our things. We detrained at 6:11 AM running roughly an hour and three minutes late. We had to wait for the Lake Shore Limited to do its work in Toledo first before we could pull into the station. We walked up to the locomotive for a moment and then into the station and right onto our awaiting Trinity Transportation Bus No. 6049 for Detroit.

Christian/Jake slept for the entire bus ride whilst I enjoyed talking to a high school history teacher and an older couple from Albany. Where I learned a lot about how we can improve neighborhoods, and do things right by all peoples better. And I definitely learned some interesting things from them and I’m glad I met them. We left the bus at Detroit and walked to the Q Line streetcar stop where we couldn’t buy a fare as both ticket machines were out of order.

Either way we photographed the Q line from the street while walking over to the platform. We caught the next train and were messing with the ticket machine on board when the operator came out of the cab and approached us. He demanded that we delete the pictures from our cameras of the Q Line that we took from the public sidewalk or he wasn’t going to move the train. And threatened to have us removed via the police if we didn’t comply with him. Without moving the rush hour train.

So trying to avoid showing my German friend the inside of the American prison system I deleted my photos from a public sidewalk so he would get the thing moving again which satisfied him. I have since called the Q Line and they have told me there is no such policy and will be researching the incident. Either way I didn’t violate a rule and the operator was enforcing his own made up rules. Either way I did not enjoy the ride into Detroit and didn’t photograph any of the interesting buildings as I didn’t want to go another round with the moron.

We got off the train at the end of the line and went over to Coney Island a little hole in the wall diner and had breakfast. Our waitress was incredibly nice, warm, and welcoming. Giving all sorts of good recommendations on what to do. And the pancakes were out of this world. I would definitely return to the diner. After that we walked around Detroit in a light drizzle. I continued to photograph the Q line downtown now knowing there were no rules against it.

Christian/Jake stopped at the Detroit office for his employer to see it before we walked down to the Detroit Tiger’s ball park before slowly walking towards a tunnel bus stop. We caught the next tunnel bus and shortly thereafter were in Windsor, ON. The customs to get into Canada took roughly thirty seconds compared to Christian/Jake’s three hours at JFK to enter the USA. Once we alighted from the bus in Canada the rain had stopped and we strolled along the Detroit River all the way to the VIA Rail Station.

We arrived about an hour prior to our trains departure and killed time in the brand new station building. And our tickets printed out for us. Shortly thereafter it was time to board our LRC in Business class right behind the locomotive. I think this is the first time I’ve ever heard the horn in Canada because usually I’m so far back in the consist you don’t hear it. I was beyond impressed with the service offered on board. The attendant averaged at least one trip down the aisle every fifteen minutes and he was very welcoming.

He even spoke to Christian/Jake in German which made his day. The train for the most part ran close to on time the entire way. The scenery was very similar to Ohio and Indiana on our way towards Toronto. I had the cheese tray for lunch which was good even though not really a lunch for me either. I stepped off for a minute at London to get a picture of our head end which wasn’t too far away from our vestibule. Business class was sold out from London on to Toronto. The line did get a bit more scenic as we approached Hamilton, ON.

We chatted with some of our neighbors on the way into Toronto before we detrained just a few minutes behind schedule. Christian/Jake went back up to the platform as he left the business card of his new friend up there. And we were on our way to the hotel in no time. We walked over to the Radison Harborfront and checked in before walking around downtown.

We started our walk at Roundhouse Park and worked our way far into downtown. Today there was a big NBA game between Golden State and the Toronto Raptors so downtown was incredibly busy. We walked around the skyscrapers of Toronto’s financial district for about two hours and then waited for nightfall to take night photos of the Toronto sign and fountain. After that we ambled back to the hotel looking for food and weren’t successful because every bar/tavern/restaurant in Toronto was packed with Raptor fans.

So I went without dinner which was ok enough. And then settled in for the night after a quick shower.

IMG_0930.JPG
The Capitol Limited at Toledo, OH

IMG_0931.JPG
A closer view of this bridge than you get from the train in Toledo.

IMG_0932.JPG
Our Trinity Transportation Bus at the Detroit Amtrak Station.

IMG_0933.JPG
Woodward Avenue Detroit.

IMG_0934.JPG
Downtown Detroit.

IMG_0937.JPG
The home is the Detroit Tigers.

IMG_0935.JPG
The Q line.

IMG_0936.JPG
Older skyscrapers in Detroit.

IMG_0938.JPG
The People Mover.

IMG_0939.JPG
A close up on the Q Line

IMG_0940.JPG
The GM building in downtown Detroit.

IMG_0941.JPG
Looking at Detroit from Windsor, Ontario.

IMG_0942.JPG
VIA Train No. 76 formerly the St Claire at Windsor’s new station.

IMG_0943.JPG
Scenery is very similar to northern Ohio.

IMG_0944.JPG
The sampling plate of cheese available for Business Class.

IMG_0945.JPG
Train No. 76 sitting next to another Corridor train built up of Budd’s at London.

IMG_0946.JPG
Crossing over a waterfall in Ontario.

IMG_0947.JPG
A VIA Rail P42DC at the TMC.

IMG_0948.JPG
VIA Train No. 76 at Toronto Union Station.

IMG_0949.JPG
Toronto from the Skybridge.

IMG_0950.JPG
The Canadian National tower.

IMG_0951.JPG
A Toronto Street car.

IMG_0952.JPG
Toronto Union Station.

IMG_0953.JPG
Toronto’s Old City Hall.

IMG_0954.JPG
Toronto transit.

IMG_0955.JPG
A cityscape in downtown Toronto.

IMG_0956.JPG
Toronto by night.

IMG_0957.JPG
Toronto by night.

IMG_0958.JPG
Just the cab of an F unit at the Roundhouse Park.

IMG_0959.JPG
A Canadian National GP7 at night.

Day 8: Montreal

We woke up and started walking over to Union Station around five thirty and were in the waiting room for Train No. 60 at six AM. Boarding started at 6:20 and again we had priority boarding because of our business class. I caught a quick glance of the locomotive before our Joint Train departed with Train No. 50 trailing behind. It was a fairly uneventful ride into Montreal.

The person behind us was a vet so I had some enjoyable conversations with her for part of the ride. I had two croissants for breakfast before making several phone calls about the railcar. Our plan for the day was to visit Exporail so we sprinted from Gare Centrale to Gare Windsor and attempted to buy tickets for the commuter train to Exporail. Unfortunately the ticket machine didn’t make sense because it wanted to charge 100 Canadian for a twenty minute ride that didn’t make sense. The women ahead of us in line asked a million questions to the agent. And the conductor was unwilling to sell a ticket on board.

So we went back to Gare Centrale and checked our luggage for Halifax before walking out into the city. We just randomly strolled around the old city of Montreal before finding lunch at a sidewalk cafe in the old town. It was so nice because someone was playing cello out front which was so nice. Very European feeling which I loved. After our late lunch ended at three thirty we slowly walked back in the direction of Gare Centrale before deciding to walk over to the university.

We crashed the college graduation before walking back towards Gare Centrale. I had to buy another memory card from one of the shopping malls before we arrived at the Business Lounge where we sat for a few minutes. After about ten minutes I walked over to the desk in the headhouse to check in with the service manager and get our dining car reservations. One of the Toronto Corridor trains departed and the lounge majorly emptied out. Then it was time to board our all Budd Ocean Limited.

Boarding was at 6:30 PM for our 7:00 PM departure. I walked the length of the consist and back to my car line No. 1439 Chateau Roberval where I was selected for the safety briefing. Which was very simple for someone like me. Before departure I was already settled into the Park car’s dome in Assiniboine Park. I took the lead seat on the fireman’s side for our departure from Montreal. I reported to the dining car shortly after we left the Victoria Bridge where we met the northbound Adirondack.

Most of my meal was consumed in the Saint Lambert Station because we pulled in, made a second spot then reversed a good ways, before pulling out. Tonight’s diner was in the Empress and I had the beaf dish which was fantastic. Our seat mates were also going to Halifax a woman with quite the life story, and a more mysterious man. Either way the food was fantastic and shortly after finishing we were back in the Assiniboine Park.

I spent a few minutes in the Bullet Lounge before going back into the dome where I talked to the woman from dinner. And man did she have quite the story, but also quite the addiction to cigarettes. Mostly just idle chit chat with her till we were approaching St. Foy when I walked all the way to the head end to get a picture of the locomotive. I reboarded the coach section and walked back thru to the sleepers to detrain on the second spot again. I got a picture of our Park Car whole a large group of British tourists boarded the train before heading back to my upper for the night.

IMG_0960.JPG
Toronto Union Station in the early morning.

IMG_0961.JPG
VIA Train No. 60/50 to Montreal and Ottawa.

IMG_0962.JPG
Lake Ontario.

IMG_0963.JPG
Formerly the AMT now the EXO commuter trains at Gare Windsor.

IMG_0964.JPG
The Fairmont.

IMG_0965.JPG
The small cathedral next to Gare Centrale.

IMG_0966.JPG
Notre Dame Montreal.

IMG_0967.JPG
Montreal’s old town.

IMG_0968.JPG
AMT/EXO duel modes.

IMG_0969.JPG
VIA 40 Years P42

IMG_0970.JPG
VIA’s new Budd paint scheme. Kinda reminds me of the Chesapeake & Ohio.

IMG_0971.JPG
Gare Centrale from the street.

IMG_0972.JPG
Gare Centrale.

IMG_0973.JPG
The Ocean’s check in desk at Gare Centrale.

IMG_0974.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Gare Centrale.

IMG_0975.JPG
Assiniboine Park

IMG_0976.JPG
Departing Gare Centrale for points east.

IMG_0977.JPG
Montreal’s skyline.

IMG_0978.JPG
From the Victoria Bridge.

IMG_0979.JPG
Winding off the Victoria Bridge in Montreal.

IMG_0980.JPG
The Ocean Limited’s dinner menu.

IMG_0981.JPG
The beaf dish. It was decent.

IMG_0982.JPG
Dessert on the Ocean Limited.

IMG_0983.JPG
The dome at sunset.

IMG_0984.JPG
The Ocean Limited at St Foy

IMG_0985.JPG
Assiniboine Park at St. Foy.

IMG_0986.JPG
Loading a tour group onto the Chateau sleepers in St. Foy.

Day 9: The Ocean Limited

I must have been tired because I slept right thru the most scenic part of the trip in my opinion the Matapedia Valley right at daybreak. However I did manage to wake up as we were pulling into Campbellton, NB so I did manage to get a picture of the locomotive while we did our station work. We were still running a bit late from delays overnight but nothing too serious.

I went to breakfast upon departure from Campbellton and had Belgium Maple Waffles which were out of this world. As I always say VIA knows how to run a passenger train. I had the table at breakfast to myself somehow which sometimes is perfectly nice to be alone. I then retired back to the Assiniboine Park’s dome for the rest of the morning and lucked out getting the front seat on the engineers side. To which I enjoyed mostly time to myself as most people weren’t that talkative. Christian/Jake mostly was quiet himself as well and was in and out of the dome often.

I talked to some nice older people who were talking about all of the snakes they have seen on their travels. Shortly thereafter they came around for dining car lunch reservations and we opted for first service. Right at twelve we went back 8 cars to the diner. I had the Beef Tenderloin which might have been the worst VIA meal I’ve ever had. It was still far better than anything Amtrak has served for years but still a bit disappointing.

We sat with someone traveling to Moncton and from then on to Saint John whom misses the Atlantic which used to serve Saint John. She was traveling back from visiting relatives in Ontario. Shortly after lunch finished we arrived into Moncton where again I managed to get photos of the entire train on the outside. After that I sat in the bullet lounge for a little bit after Moncton first to watch the shove out of Moncton station, secondly just because you can’t sit in the lounge on the Canadian these days unless you are super well off.

I sat with a Canadian in the dome from Moncton in till he went to lunch for the 3:00 PM seating. We had quite a few great conversations. Including about Florida where I read him a crazy Florida headline for every day of 2019 because the park car has WiFi now. After he went to the diner I talked to a small group of British people who were doing a transcontinental by rail who were enjoyable to talk to.

And we had a pretty good political discussion about Brexit and Trump which was fascinating as we were rolling just west of Folly Lake, NS. My new Canadian friend rejoined us at Turro and we talked the rest of the way into Halifax. I sat in the bullet lounge for the last few minutes into Halifax just because you can always ride a dome on the Canadian. But the bullet lounge with prestige is off limits most of the day now.

We arrived into Halifax a few minutes off the advertised and eight sleepers, and three coaches dumped their contents out onto the platform. Everyone posed for pictures with the locomotive which was something I haven’t seen done on any of my prior VIA travels and we grabbed our bags. We were the last ones to leave the station as Christian/Jake wanted to use the restroom. So we walked to our hostel on the other side of town.

Along the way we passed most of the sights in Halifax and a protest against bull riding. We checked into our hostel with a hour to spare and were settled in. And met two of our roommates a Ontarian girl from Ottawa, a German girl, a Vancouverite psychologist, and a tech guy also from Canada. After dropping off our bags we walked to my favorite pub the Old Triangle.

We walked straight there and sat at the bar where we could hear the live music and enjoy the good food and vibe. The 10 oz steak costs roughly 1.50 more USD so I think you know what I bought. And it was very good. Afterwards we went back to the hostel I took a shower and tried to sleep without disturbing our roommates who all were in bed by twelve. I was expecting party people but apparently not.

IMG_0987.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Campbellton, NB

IMG_0988.JPG
Assiniboine Park at Campbellton.

IMG_0989.JPG
My Chateau at Campbellton.

IMG_0990.JPG
Looking out at Quebec across the Bay

IMG_0991.JPG
The breakfast Menu eastbound.

IMG_0992.JPG
Belgian Maple Waffles.

IMG_0993.JPG
Looking at the views and a beautiful place setting.

IMG_0994.JPG
New Brunswick.

IMG_0995.JPG
The Lunch menu eastbound.

IMG_0996.JPG
Our lunch a bit of a disappointment by VIA standards.

IMG_0997.JPG
The dessert with the lunch.

IMG_0998.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Moncton.

IMG_0999.JPG
Assiniboine Park at Moncton.

IMG_1001.JPG
Rounding a curve in New Brunswick.

IMG_1002.JPG
Such a beautiful site near The border with Nova Scotia.

IMG_1003.JPG
A true streamliner.

IMG_1004.JPG
Arriving into Amherst.

IMG_1005.JPG
The third and final freight train we met in 836 miles.

IMG_1006.JPG
At Folly Mountain.

IMG_1007.JPG
Nova Scotia

IMG_1008.JPG
The Mural Lounge under the dome.

IMG_1009.JPG
The bullet lounge.

IMG_1010.JPG
The bullet lounge.

IMG_1011.JPG
The hallway of a chateau.

IMG_1012.JPG
Assiniboine Park at Halifax.

IMG_1013.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Halifax.

Day 10: Nova Scotia

We partially slept in today meaning we weren’t up at six AM. We left the hostel around 8:30 and were in our rental car at 9:00. After picking it up we drove south to Peggys Cove where I immediately regretted not bringing my rain jacket. Between the wind, the cool morning temperatures, and the rain it was very cold. But I still traipsed our to the rocks to get the best picture. Despite having to dry my camera off in the car as well as me.

We pushed at the Swiss Air Flight No. 111 Memorial as well before continuing our journey along the coast of Nova Scotia. After we finished that we had a quick lunch in An A&W before getting in position to chase the Ocean. We chased the Ocean Limited from Halifax harbor all the way to greater Moncton. And I know I got some beautiful shots of it around Folly Mountain, and Folly Lake. But the really fun part was pacing it in a narrow parallel road right up with the engine. Nothing can beat that.

Then we drove back to Halifax which took about two and a half hours but it was worth it when you see some of the shots. We parked behind the hostel and walked to the Old Triangle again where I had the steak. On a Sunday night it was fairly empty with mostly a local crowd. Afterwards we walked back to the hostel and turned in early due to our early morning flight.

IMG_1014.JPG
Halifax VIA Rail Station.

IMG_1015.JPG
Halifax.

IMG_1016.JPG
An old church downtown.

IMG_1017.JPG
The Old City Clock.

IMG_1018.JPG
Downtown Halifax

IMG_1019.JPG
The Triangle bar.

IMG_1020.JPG
Steak n Steak at the Triangle.

IMG_1021.JPG
Halifax by night.

IMG_1022.JPG
Halifax by night.

IMG_1023.JPG
Nova Scotia

IMG_1024.JPG
Peggy’s Cove

IMG_1025.JPG
The famous Peggy’s Cove lighthouse.

IMG_1026.JPG
I’m cold even thinking about this one.

IMG_1027.JPG
Swiss Air 111 Memorial.

IMG_1028.JPG
Peggy’s Cove from the Swiss Air Memorial.

IMG_1029.JPG
The Ocean Limited departing Halifax.

IMG_1030.JPG
Assiniboine Park bringing up the markers.

IMG_1031.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Milford, NS.

IMG_1032.JPG
What a beautiful sight with my 300 lens.

IMG_1033.JPG
Heading westbound at Milford.

IMG_1034.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Folly Mountain.

IMG_1035.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Londonderry.

IMG_1036.JPG
The Ocean Limited at Folly Lake.

IMG_1037.JPG
The Ocean Limited blitzing the station of Amherst at 40 mph.

IMG_1038.JPG
Catching up to the rear near the provincial border.

IMG_1039.JPG
That should give you an idea about the weather we dealt with.

IMG_1040.JPG
Pacing from the Trans Canada Highway.

IMG_1041.JPG
West of Sackville.

IMG_1042.JPG
Oh how I love pacing trains.

IMG_1043.JPG
Pacing the Ocean Limited.

IMG_1044.JPG
I should have sat behind the driver but we make do with what we have.

IMG_1045.JPG
Pulling up alongside that was my favorite moment of the entire trip.

IMG_1046.JPG
I love pacing.

IMG_1047.JPG
The military memorial he had to photograph which made us lose our chase.

IMG_1048.JPG
The Sackville VIA station.

Day 11: Back in the USA

Our Delta flight was scheduled to depart at six AM so we drove the rental car to the airport around 3:45 in the morning with light traffic. We arrived around 4:15 filled the car up with gas and returned it. Afterwards we went to the Delta desk to get our boarding passes and the Delta Agent looked so much like my ex it was uncanny. A bit unnerving but she was super sweet and she got us on our way.

They opened security at 5:00 AM and we rapidly cleared that, before having to wait till 5:15 for US Customs to open which for me was fairly fast. And for Christian/Jake far faster than JFK was when he arrived. We waited for about fifteen minutes at the gate before the women who checked us in took our boarding pass and led us out to our CRJ200 flown by Endeavor Air. She gate checked my bag and off we were.

On the flight I wrote down several of my screenplay ideas that I hope to flesh out and write sometime this year, as well as some rough drafts for something else I’m strongly considering doing at least till November of 2020. It was an easy quick flight to LGA with a odd routing down the Hudson instead of down the tip of Long Island. We deplaned onto the tarmac and were buzzed over to terminal B. Then we walked over to terminal C to wait for our next flight on Endeavor Airlines (Delta) to Charlotte.

Our pilot on the CRJ700 was chipper and gave us sightseeing information from the flight deck on our way south. We landed on runway 36L and crossed over the NS airport yard before arriving at the gate. Christian/Jake’s luggage. After a bit we were picked up by my best friend Ryan and we drove into South Carolina. The first site we showed Christian/Jake was the Lancaster and Chester Railroad.

And for a change Ryan and I did not strike out instead we found both trains out and running with Train No. 16 (Chester-Richburg) running a bit further to Circle S this time. Followed by Train No. 14 (Kershaw-Chester) with 90 cars. We caught both trains several times that day before driving back to my home town an hour and a half away arriving around 5:50 PM. We dropped our bags and I grabbed my instruments and off we went to band practice.

My dad and I took Christian/Jake to our band practice in nearby Camden, SC and on the way stopped to let Jake eat a Southern institute. Chick Fil A also known by my best friend Peyton as “God’s Chicken” which he seamed to like. We made it to band on time and rehearsed for an hour and a half. Of course the unique part I’m the only violin/viola (yes I play both on some pieces) in a brass band. But I make it work and have fun.

After band ended we drove over to my grandmothers which I believe Christian/Jake really enjoyed because he was able to speak german for long periods of time. And I think it did my 85 (almost 86 on 6/19) a lot of good to speak in her first language. After awhile we went back to my house.

Day 12: How did we sleep during that.

Due to the fact I had to work the entire week because when you are in a small business you don’t get a lot of opportunities to get off I had to work mornings for the entire week. So we left my house at 6:30 AM to go into Columbia to meet Ryan who planned on taking him to the Aiken Railroad and to see South Carolina’s horse country for the morning.

I thought it smelt Smokey in the morning but didn’t see anything and made the uneventful drive into downtown in decent time. Before driving almost all the way back to my clinic. I had a decent shift till close to the end when things always tend to hit the fan. But we managed to get past that like we always do. The other advantage to a small business being we work well as a cohesive team and can generally get difficult problems solved rapidly.

Then I got a call that the fire department had been in our yard that night while all of us were sleeping because my dad who had burned the previous day didn’t do a good job with fire breaking. And he managed to catch the neighbors woods on fire. So Ryan has to keep Christian/Jake out for a longer period while I went home to help my dad put the remaining hot spots the fire department missed back out. Eventually though we managed to get all of the spots out. And I took that as an opportunity to cut a five foot space between the woods and my fence.

After a shower I drove back to Columbia and picked Christian/Jake up and drove back to my house where we had a steak dinner for him. Before throwing a small birthday party at my grandmother’s house for him with my entire family. Then we went back home to sleep again till 6:30.

Day 13: Rained Out.

So again I drove him downtown to meet Ryan who drove him to the upstate today because I was busy with work. After I got off work I took my grandmother grocery shopping and relaxed at my house for a few hours before driving back downtown to pick him back up.

We decided that we wanted to show him baseball so Ryan and I took him to the Columbia Fireflies a Class A affiliate of the New York Mets. We purchased the cheapest tickets which were on the Bojangles been in the outfield for five dollars each. Shortly after we arrived they rain delayed he game due to a nearby storm. We moved under cover closer to when it came and watched a short ten minute thunderstorm come and go. Which is normal in a South Carolina summer.

Then they take the tarp off the field and immediately put it back when they determine another storm is coming and the stadium loses power and the back up generators kick on. So after about an hour they cancel the game and we went to a local tavern to eat a great dinner. If you are ever in Columbia I highly recommend Yesterday’s in Five Points. It is one of the best local eateries. Afterwards I drove us back home.

Day 14: Charleston

This time because both Ryan and I wanted to sleep in a bit longer we decided to put Christian/Jake on the Columbia Comet in front of my clinic and he would pick him up in downtown to take him to the train store. And that worked fairly well. The bus was a bit late but what else is new In Columbia. I took off an hour early so we could leave right at twelve. We actually left around 12:30 PM and I managed to see the train that passes my clinic downtown.

We took An all back road route to Charleston going via St Matthews, Orangeburg, and Branchville before arriving in Charleston. We took him to see Palmetto Railways’s operation first then we drove in a light rain to the battery before finding a parking garage. We showed him around the market I bought a southern delicacy (Pralines) and proceeded to walk around downtown a bit.

We left Charleston at 6:00 PM and made it to Summerville to have dinner with some friends from college at the old Ice House. It was so great to see Connor and Jake again after at least two years. I’m still miffed I missed their wedding but their wedding gift finally arrived. We had a lovely table right in front of the live music a violin and a guitar and had pure southern food. And their fried chicken was on point.

We got to hear all about their land, their wedding, and their jobs. We had a great time. Afterwards we went for drinks to a local bar around the corner and continued our good evening. After awhile we went back up to Columbia slept for a few hours before Christian/Jake and I woke up and grabbed his bags.

I gave him a night tour of downtown Camden prior to the arrival Train No. 92 the Silver Star. He thanked me for showing him around the USA and South Carolina and boarded his Viewliner roomette. The conductor asked if I would sit with the one passenger who detrained who didn’t have a ride because taxi’s don’t meet the trains.

I didn’t mind as it was 4:50 AM and I wouldn’t want a single person sitting out there alone. Nor did I have anywhere to go but back to bed. So I waited with her till 5:20 when the unmarked taxi finally arrived. Afterwards I drove to work and went to sleep on dog beds in an exam room. Why sleep for an hour when you can sleep for two hours.

Conclusion

I think it was a good trip all in all. A bit of a rough start but we had a good time. After he left me he went to DC for a night, and New York for a night. I know he loved Canada especially VIA Rail. And he’s planning on coming back. Next time though we’re taking the Canadian to Vancouver and then the Cascades to Seattle and Portland. Maybe we will continue south to California as well. But I do know we will layover for a bit in Portland.

IMG_1050.JPG
The original motive power of choice for the Lancaster and Chester.

IMG_1051.JPG
L&C Train 16 switching an industry near Richburg.

IMG_1052.JPG
The L&C leasing a NS widecab for the day.

IMG_1053.JPG
Lancaster and Chester Train No. 14 crossing the Catawba river from Lancaster to Chester county.

IMG_1054.JPG
Train No. 14 at Fort Lawn’s US 21 overpass.

IMG_1055.JPG
Train No. 14 at the Circle S mill.

IMG_1056.JPG
L&C Train No. 14 at Belt Line Road Chester, SC.

IMG_1057.JPG
The Branchville Station

IMG_1058.JPG
Palmetto Railways.

IMG_1059.JPG
The battery.

IMG_1060.JPG
The now air conditioned part of the market. So unlike my childhood.

IMG_1061.JPG
The Charleston Market.

IMG_1062.JPG
The Charleston custom house.

IMG_1063.JPG
The mount pleasant bridge.

IMG_1064.JPG
Rainbow Row Charleston

IMG_1065.JPG
Christian/Jake’s Silver Star No. 92 at Camden, SC.

Well I hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. If you guys are interested I might consider writing about some of my childhood trips to Europe and on Amtrak.

The Ocean Consist.
VIA Number, Name, Line Number, Heritage if non CP
6437 F40PH
6452 F40PH
8622 Bagagge EX UP 5903
8137 Coach 1401 EX NYC
8138 Coach 1402 EX NYC
8140 Coach 1403 EX RFP 801
8408 Empress
8223 Chateau Rigaud 1433
8219 Chateau Montcalm 1434
8214 Chateau Laval 1435