Chicago union station layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericjeeper

Train Attendant
What all offerings are available to roomette travelers during our four hour layover in Chicago?

Metropolitan Lounge, no charge, wi-fi, bag storage, snacks/coffee/tea/soda, can be crowded at times

Legacy Club much nicer digs, $20
But, I believe, the Legacy Club does not provide bag storage (carry on bags). However, you could drop off your bags at the Metropolitan Lounge then head over to the Legacy club. Just don't forget to get back to the Metropolitan Lounge before the time given (when you checked into the lounge) to retrieve your bags.

For most, it gets the job done. The newer, larger one under construction is anxiously awaited, we shall see. Enjoy your trip. Hopefully the weather allows you a little time to venture out, but be sure to be back at the appointed time to retrieve bags.

I check my bags in the MET Lounge, then take a walk around the station, Mezzanine level, and if nice, go walk along the river, upper level, cross one of the draw bridges, etc. Just like to stretch my legs between trains. I have walked over toward the old "Sears Tower". Now if you arrive in a typical Chicago winter day with temperatures near zero, winds blowing, and snow falling, then staying inside the station is great. Note the lines for the Met Lounge get long by 11:00 AM since four west coast bound trains depart within 90 minutes or so early afternoon.

I usually run across the street to Walgreens and pick up a couple bottles of wine.

If you're in to railroad stations, there are two within walking distance: Olgilvie Transportation Center and the smaller LaSalle Street Station, both of which are Metra-only.

Winter may limit your walking, but if you are able (Spring, Summer, Fall) you should get outside. Chicago is great city, so much to see, but you are limited by the four hour layover. Ogilvie is a busy METRA station and is accessible from Union Station by walking down North METRA/AMTRAK platforms to the stairs that bring you out across the street from Ogilvie. Walk right towards the crossing before the bridge, after crossing, walk with the crown to the revolving doors up past the stores on the pedestrian bridge into Ogilvie. The METRA trains leave from this level, the food court is on the lower level as is the access to the streets below. During off times, there are usually three trains arriving and three departing each hour.

Gave a great trip. Hope you get to enjoy Chicago.

I generally drop off my bags first, then go to get lunch. Then I come back and chill out in the Metro Lounge.

If one goes to Ogilvie/Northwestern Station, pass on the food court and wander another block north to the French Market, also under the tracks.

Just a quick bit of advice if you go outside the station on the river/bridge side, you'll have to "run the gauntlet" of the "street-people" begging money. Last layover in CHI they were getting borderline scary aggressive. Why Amtrak Police doesn't intervene is a question I have.

Just a quick bit of advice if you go outside the station on the river/bridge side, you'll have to "run the gauntlet" of the "street-people" begging money. Last layover in CHI they were getting borderline scary aggressive. Why Amtrak Police doesn't intervene is a question I have.
I've never had a problem with street people when I've been to Chicago Union Station, so I do not think you should say this in an way that makes it sound like everyone will experience what you experienced.

I don't think the Tower is a good option with just 4 hours, because you have to allow time first to get checked in at the Met Lounge, maybe get something to eat. and the Tower on a clear day has lines 1 - 2 hours long, so caution if you consider that option. You also have to allow time to be in line to reclaim your luggage in the Met Lounge.

I've never had a problem with street people when I've been to Chicago Union Station, so I do not think you should say this in an way that makes it sound like everyone will experience what you experienced.
Me neither...ever. Maybe they just saw his Louis Vuitton purse.

Along the river, yes there are some street people, but more of an issue is the huge group of smokers, so a person with asthma like myself, this is an issue a lot more than the few street people.

I don't think the Tower is a good option with just 4 hours, because you have to allow time first to get checked in at the Met Lounge, maybe get something to eat. and the Tower on a clear day has lines 1 - 2 hours long, so caution if you consider that option. You also have to allow time to be in line to reclaim your luggage in the Met Lounge.
If the arrival is a Sunday morning, it might be doable. My daughter and I arrived on the CL on a November Sunday and were departing on the CZ. We had time to do the tower, including the film (which on subsequent visits I've skipped). And we had time for lunch and a run over to the CVS to get stamps for her post cards and still time to relax in the lounge.

You can also buy a FastPass to the top.
If you buy the FastPass before arriving (on the web), can you skip the line just to get to the ticket booth? I didn't bother with the FastPass because of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back